Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this isn't a nice subject and if the moderators want to delete that's fine but I really would like to know just how common this problem of dog poop eating with hounds is.

At the training school I go to I was discussing Rosa's poop eating problem with the other owners and not one of them had a dog that did this. Some of them were quite disgusted at the thought of it and one lady said she wouldn't keep a dog that ate his or other dogs poop.

So I thought I'd find out amongst all of us just how common it really is, or I thought it was.

If you have multiple dogs and some of them do and some don't answer in the majority or post below. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby does not eat other dog's poop, or her own, but she does eat cat poop sometimes. I notice she does it more when she doesn't eat her own food. It's like she says sometimes "You want me to eat THAT? I'd rather eat poop!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/coffee.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feel I can't answer the poll - there's no right answer for us:

Chloe only ate poop once! It was outside on a walk (dark, couldn't see) it was the stinkiest poop I've ever encountered ... and she never did it again (thank god). Needless to say that when we got home her mouth was washed thoroughly with puppy soap!

She does like geese poop (god knows why) so I don't take her to the park where the geese are until the winter passes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar doesn't eat his own poop anymore...that I know of anyway. But he loves cat poop and rabbit poop /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/congrats.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Java eats his own poop if he has an accident in his crate. It's almost as if he's cleaning up and is embarrassed that he made a mess.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we could put Chloe down as a NO then as she only done it once. Sherry has only done it once in the 11 months I've had her so I would say she was a NO too.

Thanks to all who have voted so far

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has not eaten her poop that I know of. I think she may have eaten her poop once as a puppy when I locked her in the bathroom. I came home and there were smudges of poop all over the floor, but not a pile. Either she ate it or it wasn't a lot and it just got all over as she walked through it. YUCK! That was the worst clean up. So I went with NO, since even if she did, it's never been an issue for us.

Now, Amber....my Amber was a poop eater.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well Duke ate it as a pup, but has since stopped eating his own, though on occasion (thankfully it's now a rare occasion), he does try to eat the labs and I have no doubt that if he could get to the cat's box, he'd still be eating that! Ewww.

When he ate his poop as a pup, we bought the pills to make him stop and they did work. Took a few weeks, but it was worth it because before that, his burps were lethal!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Our Debut (@ the bridge 04/2007) would eat our Sam's (her son) poop; we always figured it was her maternal instinct that caused her to do so.

She never, ever, ate her own, though.

Sam has never eaten his or anyone else's, and our new MiMi (Sam's niece & Debut's granddaughter) doesn't either.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock and Bones eat one another's poop and used to eat the poop of our roommate's non-hound mutt.

I think they started because when Bones was younger, she would howl for a half hour when put up in her kennel at night, so we'd give her a chicken-based treat that had chamomile and lavender to calm her down, and it probably didn't digest thoroughly in her stomach.

It has gotten better since we stopped giving her those treats, though I suspect Bones cleans up after herself if she has an accident in the crate in the middle of the night (I sometimes find evidence of poop, but not a lot of poop), and sometimes I smell poop on their faces or breath when they've been outside for a while (this usually happens seconds before they both lick ME on the face; thanks, guys!).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I said that my dogs does eat poop. He ate his own once or twice and now only eats the cat poop, when he can figure out a way to steal it out of the box.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My dalmation would eat my saint bernards (at rainbow bridge now)poo. My jack russell would eat the dalmations poo. It is so discusting. The dalmation is 11 now so he doesn't do it anymore, but the jrt is 5 and every once in a while she will still do it. The vet told me sometimes it is because the food is not fully digested. They also told me to sprinkle cyanne pepper on it.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Henry is a poop-eater! As a stray, I'm sure it was a staple of his diet. I've also seen him eating at invisible (to me) stuff buried under dead leaves on our property.

Yodel actually picked up some rabbit poop yesterday.

Kelsey (honorary beetle)...I've never seen her eat it.

They are a poop-eating family, by majority...and probably proud of it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/congrats.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

~Denise

·
Registered
605 Posts
My male English cocker, Buddy, was a dedicated poop-eater. I won't go into the details, lol! Henry doesn't eat his own poop but will eat anything he encounters while out in the woods or sometimes hiking. So I'm sure some sort of poop has been ingested....ugh.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It feels good to be able to share our secrets like this! Yes, my dear sweet Booker is a rabid poop eater. Not her own (although given that we don't have a yard and we pick up right after her, so she really doesn't have an opportunity to eat her own) - but anything else she can find... and I still let her lick my face (but I wait a while after an episode)! Moosie doesn't seem too interested in dog poop but he definitely is a fan of horse and geese poop. I haven't ever seen Popcorn eat poop, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts