Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone!

Spring is here, and Molly is getting more and more active. This morning she ate a pair of my glasses, and she has been on 2 walks already, and it's not even noon yet.

I was looking at Dog Parks around my area, and read a lot of reviews. Does anyone take their dog/Beagle to the dog park and let them off leash? I never had Molly of the leash, and I'm worried that she will not return to me. Since I take Molly sometimes to work, she made friends with neighbor dogs over there, and one said he would love for her to come over to play with their dog in the fenced backyard. I don't even know if I should trust a normal fenced backyard. Molly is getting close to turn 1, and she is great (well, not when she is eating things that are not hers), and loves other dogs. Luckily she still hasn't figure it out, that when dogs bark at her, that she can bark back. So everytime we walk, and dogs bark at her, she might start crying, or just look at them, but never barks.

So, my question is, who lets their Beagle run free and is it a good idea??

Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do!

I have taken my recently adopted (1 year old) beagle to the dog park nearby, and will be taking him again today! I take him off the leash and he does fine. The fences there at our park are very secure, you could always go when it's not too busy and check it out and make sure it's safe if that's what you are worried about. I have seen some people keeping their dogs on a leash at the park, but I have also heard that a leashed dog around a bunch of unleashed dogs can become aggressive/anxious.

Payton loves to sniff all over the dog park, and has found some friends to play with a few times! He spent an hour running around in circles with another beagle one day! It's pretty cute to see all the dogs checking each other out. He doesn't quite come every time I call him, but in my experience, not all people at the dog park have their dogs trained to come every time when they call, but you could also use it as a great training time. Payton does okay, except when he gets onto a scent and becomes deaf! I found that my dog became kind of shy at the dog park and kept running back to me waiting for my approval that it was okay to go play with the other dogs!

As long as you aren't concerned about your dog becoming aggressive, a dog park is so fun for them and it's a great environment for them to socialize! It's usually a good idea to stay fairly close to your dog in case anything happens, It's also a great way to meet other dog owners, as you usually can begin a conversation while your dogs are sniffing each others behinds!

I would say go for it, your pup will have so much fun!

I should add--It's a closed in dog park, and I definitely would only go to a closed in one!

·
Registered
326 Posts
When Charlie was younger we did in an open area park, however; ONCE his senses started to mature, we could not do that anymore...........................so only closed in dog parks/areas.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We have taken ours to our dog park twice. We have two parks, one is for bigger dogs, and another for smaller dogs. We went to the smaller dog park first, because we don't think ours are the same size as a german shepherd...mistake #1 ---- many people told us we belonged at the other park. OK, so we went to the bigger dog place, and the boys were immediately all but attacked by the larger dogs. SOOOO now I wait until early afternoon when either of the parks is empty and they play that way....

As far as off the leash, only if we are right there in the park's fenced in area....otherwise as BeagleWeegle said, the senses take over, and it took 30 minutes to round them up. So the leash stays on if we are in an open area.

Have great fun!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm very envious of your dog parks! Here in England, as far as I am aware, there are no designated dog parks, just parks that allow dogs of lead (not really the same as your variety I don't thin).

However, when Oscar is in a certain defiant mood, I could still see it being a challenge to get him back to go home - even in a dog park!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did it!!

Molly LOVED it, and so did I!! She is great with the other dogs, and at the end she met another Beagle. There was a nice lake, and the closest she got was one paw in. At the end she was so tired and is still sleeping on the couch!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We LOVE the dog park. In our old town the one there wasn't so great, the people overall didn't seem to watch their dogs or care.
Now, there are two local dog parks and the place as well as the people have been awesome! As long as the owners follow the rules and keep an eye on their dogs it can be a very positive experience!!

Wonderful pics! Looks like everyone had a great time!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have an eight months old beagle and I take him to the dog park every day for about 2 hours. I do this since he was 4 months old. He has great fun , running and wrestling. I go to the small dog park and lately I have very bad experience, people take their adult , non-fixed pit bulls there, nobody says anything, so because I feel uncomfortable I'm the one who leaves.. and I'm not the only one. Sometimes I try 3-4 times until those dogs are not there anymore, and I have to go to work and other things to do. Any idea?

·
Registered
504 Posts
We go to dog park all of the time, and most parks, you have to take your dog off lead before you enter the main part of the park. Cassidy surprising only at the dog park, stays in my 'circle' and when it's time to leave she follows or tells me, by standing at the entrance because she is so tired! It's worth a try! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an eight months old beagle and I take him to the dog park every day for about 2 hours. I do this since he was 4 months old. He has great fun , running and wrestling. I go to the small dog park and lately I have very bad experience, people take their adult , non-fixed pit bulls there, nobody says anything, so because I feel uncomfortable I'm the one who leaves.. and I'm not the only one. Sometimes I try 3-4 times until those dogs are not there anymore, and I have to go to work and other things to do. Any idea?
They take them over on the small dog side? If that is the case I would say something.

I take my Beagle and my Pit Bull to the dog park and they love it. I usually have to go on the big dog side because of Rocket (the pit) but I pefer the small side for Colby. A big pack of big dogs tends to make him nervous. So most times I stay with him on the small side while Rocket plays on the big side.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We have gone to dog parks a lot, but Oprah has recently decided to become the alpha dog and has started fighting. =( The other two dogs do just fine, though. My vet says he loves dog parks because they keep him in business (repairing injuries from fights and attacks). So it all depends on the park and dogs you meet there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I take my 8 month old Zoey to the park every weekend or so and she loves it. She hates the large dog park area though because she is easily intimidated by large dogs and their speed. She's just perfect in the small dog park and no one has complained. Although she is very timid and will quickly run away if she hears loud barking. As far as being called back, she seems to be interested in dogs and their owners than any scents. I seem to think she knows that if she wants any treats or praise she knows owners will pet her and love on her rather than their dogs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also take my beagle to the dog park and let him off leash. I only go to the ones that are completely fenced in, and have never had a problem getting him to come back to me. (although I practice recall A LOT since I am so worried about losing him :p) Most of the time, the dogs (and owners) are well behaved and responsible. I did have an unfortunate and scary incident last year where my dog was attacked by a large pit bull, so now I am just much more careful about paying attention to what is going on in the park. If I feel uncomfortable with the situation, I get out of there for the safety of my dog. Overall though, I think the dog park can be a good experience and a lot of fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts