Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's a new dog park opening, here in arnold mo, pretty soon (May 10th, I think) I've been counting the minutes until it opens. I have a problem though. they're gonna have 2 sections, one for large dogs and one for small. by definition, luigi is a small. However, he plays best with the big dogs. Little dogs tend to be scared of him, while big dogs like coonhounds and boxers love to romp with him. I was planning on taking him to the big dog section so he can really have some fun, good idea or bad?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Unless there are postings limiting the size of the dogs in each section, I would suggest you try both sections and see which one works best for you and Luigi. Of course, our requirement is that you take a camera & post pics!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our dog park has limits but only on the small dog side. The dog cannot be over 45 lbs. and 21 inches (which is pretty big!). The large dog side has no special restrictions. Like Judy said, take Luigi around and see how he does on both sides. There are times when I take Jersey to the big dog side and times when she goes to the small dog side. It all depends on what other dogs are around.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: judymaggieUnless there are postings limiting the size of the dogs in each section, I would suggest you try both sections and see which one works best for you and Luigi. Of course, our requirement is that you take a camera & post pics!
Couldn't agree more, especially about the pictures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel likes the big dog side also and I believe most big dogs are nicer than the little ankle biters. Bagel never met a dog he didn't like but he has scared a couple really big dogs because he was so eager to play. Once they realize he is just being friendly they have great fun but I remember in particular this Russian Wolfhound who couldn't believe a dog could be so eager to play. I had to put Bagel on his leash and introduce them, the wolfhound is about 6 inches taller than a Great Dane and once they sniffed noses, they played for chase for hours.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Toby has always liked the big dog side better, too. He loves to chase and be chased and the bigger dogs seem to comply with his wishes more often than the smaller dogs!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Daisy likes the big dog side better too. BUT - you do have to be careful. If I see too many big dogs running *together*, like a pack, I do not take Daisy in anymore. On two separate occasions, a pack of 3 - 4 dogs chased her and when she rolled into her submissive position, one of the dogs sort of pounced on her, like he was going to attack, or at least take a taste. On their own, I am certain these dogs would be fine for her to play with. But when they are running together, I can seriously see a pack mentality suddenly happening, and them tearing a smaller dog like her up.

On the small dog side, she does love to play with Puggles. They are tough dogs, and great for a beagle to play rough n tumble with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bridey's constant doggy companion is a 100+ pound German Shepherd, that belongs to my daughter. They are the best of friends and pretty much play a constant game of "try to eat my face", and I can't imagine at this point that she'd have anything in common with dogs her size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts