Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought of Teri today. I took Daisy and Maggie to the dog park. There was a 6 month old mix, about 3/4 Daisy's size. At first they were playing, but then the dog started humping Daisy. He became her shadow, and I was getting irritated because she couldn't really play with any of the dogs, with him either licking her back end or humping. Daisy would hop up on my lap to get away from him, of course the owner is doing nothing. At one point I pulled the dog off of Daisy, as he had a good hold of her and she couldn't shake him.

The dog was short and furry, but I got a good look and asked the owner if he was fixed. She said "No, he's only 6 months old." I said, well, you're not supposed to bring unfixed dogs into the park. She repeated that he was only 6 months old, like that made it OK. I didn't say anything, and then she said "I'll take him to the little dog side if it's a problem." Well DUH lady - it is OBVIOUSLY a problem...it's against the park rules, AND your dog is pretty much assaulting mine. He had his whole thing out and was seriously trying. She did go over to the other side, where there were no other dogs, but I was so mad! Just because your dog is a puppy, doesn't mean it's OK!

Next up, I see a big Husky mix with a toy. Another dog comes near, and the Husky growls, and it is not a good sounding growl. I thought "oh, that's trouble." Not 10 minutes later, I hear a dog fight. (I couldn't see because they were on the other side of the bathroom building.) The fight was loud, and you could hear owners yelling. Next I see a woman with a mid sized dog storming out of the park -- the Husky mix had apparently attacked her dog for no reason, no toy or anything, the big dog just went after him. She was *really* mad, and said the owner took his time reacting to his dog attacking, like it was no big deal.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE IDIOTS?!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pimp.gif

On the up side, after the humper left, Daisy had a GREAT time with a couple of Westies and a couple of Whippets. They ran like crazy! I've never met a Whippet in person - what sweet dogs! I seriously wanted to take the female home with me...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've had a couple of bad experiences too. It's always been the owner in my opinion. There was a male boxer one time that chased every dog that came into the park back up to the gate. His owner laughed at it every time. We only stayed for a few minutes that day. I told the guy that his dog was making it impossible for any of the other dogs to enjoy themselves and took Jersey over to the small dog side.

I've also been the one with the badly behaved dog. Jersey used to chase after all the dogs in the small dog side when she was a puppy. I think it was just her puppy energy and wanting to play. She never got aggressive, but didn't always behave proper. Whenever she got too rambunctious, I'd put her leash on and take her out. She quickly learned that her bad behavior led to her leaving the park and no longer acts that way. I don't really know if she got the idea or if she just grew up...maybe a little bit of both.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hope this doesn't make me a bad owner, but the reason i've been waiting for my dog park to open is so Luigi can get rambunctious and expend all that puppy energy...I want him to play aggressively, so he'll be tired afterwards...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There's aggressive and there's aggressive. I think that aggression towards other dogs should be monitored and an aggressive dog should be removed from the park, but a puppy aggressiveness I would most likely consider to be a learning process. You should keep an eye on Luigi when he's playing aggressively, because other dogs may consider that to be a challange and he might get hurt.

You can get him exhausted by making him run after a ball at the park and play a little with the dogs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jen - n - Jersey ~ actually, Daisy became the badly behaved dog later into our day. Someone brought a Brussels Griffon in. For some reason, things ended up with the two Whippets, one of the Westies and Daisy chasing the Griffon, and not in a good way. It seemed to me that they 'packed up' against the Griffon. I tried to get Daisy calmed down, but ended up leaving when I didn't think she would stop chasing the poor Griffon.

Luigi, as Chloe's Mommy said, there's a difference between aggressively playing and being aggressive. Daisy is a tough little thing, and LOVES to play with Puggles because they can take her roughhousing. I keep her away from the really small dogs or the frail looking dogs, because I know Daisy will be a little too much for them. It's all about being a good owner, which I can tell you are! I don't know if you saw my other post awhile back, but the dog park I go to is in St. Charles, and it's great. Very large and clean, and no membership fee. You ought to check it out sometime.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I might try it sometome, but i *live* in arnold, so the park in arnold is much closer (right down the street) Here's hoping there's alot of dogs there when i go on monday

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh you guys are making me miss my home. I am originally from St. Louis County (near South County Mall)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dog parks baffle me to no end! Ours does not have the spayed/neutered rule, so we have in tact males sometimes. Right now Lucky is one of them (his appt. is on the 27th to get neutered!). Well, we took them to the dog park the other day and there was an in tact Lab. The in tact Lab was following Toby like crazy, but not in a mean or aggressive way. Toby kept getting sick of it though and would snap at him to back off. Lucky, on the other hand, was a perfect gentleman. Now, why wasn't Lucky the one having a problem with another in tact dog? I think that sometimes in tact dogs just get a bad reputation! The most well behaved dog I have ever met in my life was an intact male lab. That being said, I have been at the park when an in tact dog is causing ALL the problems! Sometimes it's my neutered Toby causing all the problems!!! Other days he is a perfect gentleman! All in all, I just remind myself that we are so lucky to have dog parks nowadays and just know there will be good days and there will be bad days. I just wish I could get into a dogs head and see what's going on in there!!!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Pop & I are new to the "dog park experience" & our first visit to
the new one just accross the Idaho/Washington state border was a
very enjoyable one! Non-newtered males were not prohibited &
everyone had a great time, (I did keep Homer on leash as he can
be unpredictable with strange dogs & people...) But he behaved
so well that next time he will get to roam! Goober was the "star"
among the other dogs & owners when they learned that it was his
16th birthday! Ol Goobs got a lot of affection from the dogs &
their owners and Homer was a big hit with the few large dogs that
were there. (Most of the dogs were basset hound mixes)& a few
were beag mixes & one young female beag that enjoyed meeting
Goober! As soon as I get a new roll of 35mm film, (that is getting hard to find), we will visit the dog park again & take
more pic,s! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts