Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edited, for proper wording.....here is something I want opinions on.

Charlie has been male dog gang humps, a few dogs who are humpers? decided to go after my charlie, well I was so scared, he ran and ran trying to get away from 3 of them he fell rolled over trying to get up,then fumbling he got up he stood there worried as they humped i ran over trying to help screaming dogs would not leave him alone, they are growling at me, like charlie was there bitch...I am yelling who's f...king dogs are these, owners are doing nothing, cept calling the dogs from a distance..no-one would help , I pretty much threw myself between charlie and the other dogs and scooped him up, hard as hell as he is not a light beagle, anyhow i held him trying to get away from the dogs, they were jumping on me, and I ran /jogged with him in my arms.......what the heck........question do animals scence a week animal in the animal kingdom? Charlie has only 1 eye, his other eye was never developed as a babe in his mummas womb,and does not fend himself much........................can i also train him to be more assertive?.........have you had this at all happen too you and your dog?

a lady said that it's just a dom thing and it should be allowed...I said what? she said more dom /alpha dogs do this to younger dogs, I said 3 at a time? come on now I don't know about anything like this I don't think a dog should be subjected to being raped by any dogs..

advice and anything else you can make me understand what the heck goes on in the animal world?

·
Registered
837 Posts
First of all - no offense, but please don't call what happened a 'rape' as it might be a bit offensive to people who have been victims of actual rape.

Dogs hump each other as a sign of dominance. That's not to say the behaviour should be acceptable - it definitely is not, it is very rude in doggy language for one dog to mount another dog. In a case like this one it's not a sexual act but one of dominance.

Submissive dogs can definitely be targets at places like the dog park. Dogs that are regulars can form a pack situation where they will gang up on and chase down weaker more submissive dogs.

Unfortunately, dog parks are an accident waiting to happen because so many people can't read canine body language well enough to understand when a dangerous situation is about to occur - or like the woman you encountered, just don't care. As a general rule I don't use them because I've had too many bad experiences - but if people want to I advise them to go when it's not busy and only a smaller number of dogs are there. I also advise people to watch the dogs interacting in the dog park before taking their dogs in there so they can see how all the dogs are interacting together.

The number of dogs I've seen that have developed behaviourial problems from bad incidents at the dog park is quite considerable, as are the number of serious injuries I've seen from dogs that have been involved in fights or been attacked by other dogs - if you chose to use the dog park you need to be very cautious about how and when you use it.

I wouldn't want to encourage him to become more assertive in a situation like this and I don't think it is something that can be done - realistically, dogs have a fight or flight instinct, either they will stand their ground and fight or they will submiss/run away. Going by your post, the other dogs and their owners were in the wrong. If it were me, I would be avoiding them and I wouldn't use the dog park if they were there.

ETA: If he WERE more assertive, and stood his ground when the three other dogs confronted him and chased him down it could have ended a lot worse - they could have challenged him back and you would have ended up with three dogs attacking yours.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I re-worded such a word I was not thinking *doh*

oh then i don't want my charlie to become more assertive*tear* i would not want something of worse to happen to him he gets picked on to much as it is. I just wish he would not be such a pushover sometimes, I don't want a mean dog I don't want him to always accept everything.......there is alot more about charlies ways not just dogs wanting to hump him, dogs can be beating him up visiouse fight and he wont fend himself......i think dogs can be taken avatage of like humans, arghhhh anyhow i will avois such parks with to many dom dogs..........ok maybe beating him up is not the right word neither but you get the meaning ......

man the animal kingdom sure is hard.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
BeagleWeegle - please read your personal email from me. I don't think it is proper to air my feelings to everyone.

·
Registered
837 Posts
No worries, BeagleWeegle, I know what you mean
Dogs will do what comes naturally to them, as I said, some have a fight response whereas some have a flight response - flight response is not uncommon in hounds as they often have a soft nerve.

I know it sucks but if the other dogs owners won't take responsibility for the way their dogs are behaving, the best and safest action you can take is to avoid them.

Beagletails - now I'm curious as to what your thoughts are! LOL

·
Registered
205 Posts
First, I wanted to say how sorry I am that you and Charlie went through this!

We keep JoJo out of the dog parks for this very reason - I'm afraid of what would happen if she got near an agressive dog. She's very submissive, and I've seen many dogs intimidate her.

I do know that the humping is a dominance thing. My dad has a mini-daschund and a basset hound, and they both do it to each other. (both males) We used to have a cat (also named Charlie) who would do it to our younger and MUCH smaller cat. All are fixed...

I think finding him a new park to play at would be a good thing, unless these dogs and their people aren't there. I think I'd be horrified if I had a dog going after another dog like these dogs went after Charlie! You need friendlier dogs AND people!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally Posted By: cheezyridrbest thing is to teach your dog karate. then no one will mess with him ever again

that is my kind of response.(above)

but in real terms, what would your dog have done if you werent there? that is what i think of a lot. if your dog aint tuff, oh well.
the humpin thing is humiliating to us, and i have seen my dogs get frustrated by it, but it isnt actually Harmful to my opinion.
and it is definately NOT sexual, i have seen Bonnie do it to champ. and some times the dogs just get really worked up,
just 2 nights ago we were playing keep away from champ with a squeeky toy (he goes nuts!!) and once i dropped it and held my hand in front of it, he got up on my arm and started humpin, now mind you he was fixed over 4 mo ago, and not to be crude, but no physical change had occured with his pizzle. so i think it was just like a natural reaction to being frustrated and wanting to win? / be dominant? i of course told him no! pushed his front paws off me and started petting him to calm him down.

beagle weagle, one thing to keep in mind is that dogs generally only do what their masters have allowed or taught. so be sure you try to take any frustration out on the owners (maybe you learn karate) and not the dogs. only use what force may be necessary to extract your dog from danger, but be sure, sometimes that means a boot in the side of a big dog that wont let up, and be careful for yourself!!!
C.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh yeh ok, some think it's a dom thing,some not, what about My dog was harmed he has puncture scrapes around parts of his body and have applyed anti cream on them, they were agressive in the aspect of actualy growling and hurting him.

It reminds me back to when I was younger,I'm a bit scared myself, I was attacked by 2 large doberman and needed alot of surgery, So kicking a dog wont help when I threw myself between it all my eyes were closed tight waiting for the worse.
I'm not taking My boy to those parks anymore, next time might not be so lucky...

ha karate

thanx all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts