Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hihi.gif There is some new(?) questions being asked about the safety of Nutro Natural Choice, at least at consumeraffairs.com - this time it is their Lamb & Rice and Chicken/Rice dry food.

Has anyone else heard about this besides on this website? I did a search and got the FDA Recall list but that only includes can food and their pouches - neither of which do I feed. I am in the process of switching Shiloh over to a different brand with a hi protein-lo carb food because of the DJD/arthritis problems in his tail. I was also trying to switch Shasta because the arthritis problems could be hereditary and they are related by blood. However Shasta is being a little more picky and reluctant to make the switch.

Anyway, bak to work for now - be bak later I hope.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Doh. Nutro is the dog food of choice for our dogs. I trusted that it was ok since I've read about how good it is, but it looks like I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for news on how this safety situation develops.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've fed and recommended Nutro Natural Choice for several years - but only kibble. The only Nutro foods listed are canned or pouches - which I don't use. I don't feed ANY canned foods - unless I'm having problems getting meds into a dog - and then on a very limited basis. Nutro Natural Choice is the best quality I can get in this small rural town - and my dogs all love it and have done well on it for years.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We talked to a couple of the staffers at our local pet store today. Most of the staff feeds their critters Nutro, it turns out. One woman said no dogs who have had food from that particular store (where we've bought all our Nutro food) have gotten sick, which was a relief. One woman said it was mostly the smaller bags that had been in question. She also said it is getting almost impossible to find any Nutro food at all and loyal customers have been stocking up. Apparently, PetSmart has the larger bags in good supply, but they've jacked up the price by several dollars per bag.

We are getting down to the bag that we have now; we bought a large bag of Nutro Ultra puppy for Bones and a large bag of Nutro Ultra adult to start transitioning Spock over. I'll be watching them both closely as we get into the new food, and I hope Nutro's woes end soon, because our pups really seem to love it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just switched my pack over to this recently. I hope there isn't anything wrong with it. Mine eat dry food only.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after trying, unsuccessfully, to switch both dogs to Blue Buffalo due to a higher protein content for Shiloh - Shiloh would eat ANYTHING I think but Shasta wanted nothing to do with it even when mixed with cottage cheese (one of her favs) both dogs are now back on Nutro. Like everyone else, will just keep watch and take it from there. Shasta has a more sensitive tummy than Shiloh but I did put both on the Sensitive Stomach (with Oatmeal). I have NEVER had any trouble with Nutro myself and both of the Beaglebratz have beautiful coats and good overall health. I wish I'd quit trying to find something better and just realize that I already feed one of the best foods there is.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anyone finding problems with Nurto natural choice chicken meal, rice and oatmeal formula?

The past week, all my dogs are sick with stomach noises and very bad runny stool. Some has what looks like bloody gel in it. (sorry if too discriptive)

Nothing has changed in their life. I bought a new bag just in case something was wrong with the old one but they really are still just kind of forcing it down.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds like you need to move into diarrhea mode: no food of any kind for 24 hours (as hard as this is, it is important); then cooked, plain chicken and white rice (with some chicken broth if you want) until the diarrhea stops. The bloody gel can be a result of having diarrhea -- that has happened with Maggie. If all diarrhea stops, then try feeding them a little bit of the dry food. If the diarrhea comes back ... time for a different kind of food.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks Judy. I will certainly try that. It's so hard to come home to a messy and stinky house everyday.

They ate this morning, so I won't feed them tonight but will tomorrow morning.

I will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just wanted to pop in and say that my pups are experiencing no problems with the new large bags of Nutro Ultra that we recently bought. They really love the stuff, so I hope we continue to have good experiences with this line of Nutro products.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Judy's remedy is effective and recommended by our vet. If there is still some ruuniness to the stool, try adding low fat cattage cheese. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My vet usually recommends rice and cottage cheese if they have tummy problems. Personally if mine have the poops, they get canned pumpkin - NOT pumpkin pie mix, but plain canned pumpkin - it's very rare that they have problems, but being beagles, they'll eat anything they find. I have fed Nutro Natural Choice for years - and they are all healthy and have beautiful shiny coats and clear eyes - and all love the Nutro. I don't use the Nutro Max because it does have wheat - it's not that much cheaper than the Nutro Choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was looking up stuff on Nutro and if you go to consumeraffairs.com and search for nutro dog food there are testamonials from alot of people.

One of them is from Helen of Louisville, KY dated 5/18/08 who was an employee of nutro. She also posted on 5/5/08 while she still was an employee.

I don't know. I just know they are different dogs today. They are more energetic and playful. There isn't the tummy growling that we have had for the past few days.

From what I've read, I think I'm going to change food.

They changed owners recently and from what I understand changed the ingredients.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nutro is now owned by Mars, Incorporated. They also own Pedigree, Ceaser, Whiskas, Royal Canin.

Along with snickers and mars and skittle, M&M, twix, Doves chocolate and other human products.

They say Nutro is suppose to still be run independently but instead of the old owner getting the profit they get the profits.

But who knows if they will change the ingredient now.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I was really uneasy reading all the testimonials even though Daisy hasn't had any problems with it so far. I still went out and bought a small bag of Blue Buffalo to mix in and slowly switch her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts