Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes! I just went to the pet store to buy a bag of Innova Evo, and for a 28 lb. bag it was $85! The last bag I bought (probably 6-8 weeks ago) was $69. What a whopping increase! What are you all paying for Innova Evo?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just checked online, and I can get it for $59.99, BUT there's a $25.99 shipping fee to my zip code. So, I guess it is, what it is...which is just crazy.

If anyone knows of a cheaper online price, please share the site!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't use Evo, just regular Innova and noticed an increase in price last time I bought Jersey her food. It was about $4 more. Plus, instead of getting a 16.5 lb. bag, it had been cut back to 15 lbs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Gale -- have you tried looking for a distributor in your area? That is who I buy Maggie's Innova Evo from and it is considerably less expensive than buying it in a retail store. I just buy the small bag and it lasts forever these days so not sure how much I paid for it. I do recall that the distributor told me that Innova was reformatting their packaging so wonder if that caused the price increase.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check into that Judy. I think after this bag, I'll switch her and Spinelli over to the regular Innova, which is about $10 a bag less (for a 28 lb. bag) than the Evo. The only reason I put Maggie on the Evo was because I took her off puppy food when she was about 9 months old and I figured she could use the extra protein.

She has always been such a picky eater, but as soon as I took her off the puppy food, she started eating like a champ. She'll be a year old this month, so I think switching her to the regular Innova will be OK. I just hope she'll eat it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Down in OZ I buy a bag of royal canin every two months. Its a 20 kilo bag and costs me $95 australian. Its a lot of money to find every other month. plus my dogs get raw meat for dinner so I'm spending another $20 a week on meat. then lets not forget the sausages for obedience club each week, $4 and the treats at home, $10. So basically just to feed the two dogs each week it's costing me about $46 a week! My god I'd never worked that out before. Lets not tell the Oh, he'd have a spac attack! Wonder what it costs to feed the cats aswell?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Never, sit down and add up the costs of dog food, vet visits, and meds!
I budget a fairly large amount every month, just for vet care and meds. In a good month, we don't exceed the budget.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Wholefoods will somtimes sell dog food bags that are slightly damaged (basically alittle tear here and there) for much less. I bought some Blue buff once for 15 dollars less. which is alot! One of the employees says its because no one really wants a slightly torn or beat up bag of food. I'm with the crowd that says if the food is fine,then whatever.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think last time I got Innova (15lb) it was around 35 dollars. It was about 3 months ago.
I think we're due for a new bag sometime this month...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: JoJo's MumDown in OZ I buy a bag of royal canin every two months. Its a 20 kilo bag and costs me $95 australian. Its a lot of money to find every other month. plus my dogs get raw meat for dinner so I'm spending another $20 a week on meat. then lets not forget the sausages for obedience club each week, $4 and the treats at home, $10. So basically just to feed the two dogs each week it's costing me about $46 a week! My god I'd never worked that out before. Lets not tell the Oh, he'd have a spac attack! Wonder what it costs to feed the cats aswell?
I have started feeding our dogs a 100% raw BARF diet, and I have found it much cheaper than feeding Royal Canin.

I've been making my own BARF mince with mince meat, sardines, egg, kidneys, grated vegies and fruit and yoghurt all for around $20 (cheaper if you use pet mince) and it lasts the week with three dogs to feed.

Then alternatively, I have been feeding lamb necks, chicken frames, chicken necks, wings and raw meaty bones which are all pretty cheap - you can get 4 chicken frames for $2 from my butcher and lamb necks from coles are less than $2 for two big ones.

You can also buy in bulk.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing the huge increase dog food prices lately. I even looked around at other brands and they had all gone up, too. A 30 pound bag only lasts a little over 2 weeks with our 3, especially since Cassie is a 90 pound lab.

·
Registered
959 Posts
HOLY BUCKETS! Can barely feed a family, let alone the dogs. I have seriously thought about making food for the boys, yet my vet tells me I'd have to purchase vitamins to supplement, and they might be more than the food, since the boys are 7 years apart. So I don't know what you do, when you have bigger dogs and they eat so much. Right now, we are in the process of changing from Beneful to something else. The vet that has been working with us on Casie's case tells us that Beneful has proven to cause urinary tract infections, etc and we certainly don't need that....not in all dogs,but in some. And with my luck...... So we are looking at something else. I can't afford the spendy stuff at the vets, and we need something for weight control for Cobi...and energy for Casie....too bad a person can't get food help for dog food

·
Registered
959 Posts
DOG FOOD --- JUST A THOUGHT

With all the food drives going on now, all over the country, let's not forget the pets that belong in these families who are having trouble with providing food for their families. I had some canned dog food left over from Chipper...and gave them to the food bank. Of course, I left a note in the sack that it wasn't a joke, nor a slam...but that I knew if we needed food for us, we'd need food for our dogs, also. It beats people dropping them off at the HS and never picking them up, or worse, just turning them loose. So if you are donating, put canned or dry dog food in a separate bag, and write a note that this is for the family dog, not the people...
My food bank called and were very appreciative.

Cathy J
Casie and Cobi's servant.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Re: DOG FOOD --- JUST A THOUGHT

I've posted a dog food rating chart several times on here - Beneful has one of the worst grades of any (except perhaps Ole Roy) - and I was upset to find that my grandson was feeding Beneful to my Romeo when he kept him there. Of course, he didn't KNOW that - since not everyone is into canine nutrition as much as gramma is! Just to satisfy my curiosity, I checked on the price of Beneful, our local store sells it for about $15 for a 20# bag - I can get a 40# bag of Kirkland Lamb and Rice for about $20, so Beneful is not really that inexpensive. By the way, the one most recommended by vets (Science Diet) has an F grade - vets recommend it because they SELL it. If you switch to a premium food, you'll find you need to feed LESS. My grandson was feeding Romeo 3-4 cups a day and he lost so much weight it wasn't funny. With the Nutro Natural Choice they each get 1/2 cup twice a day - and there's not a skinny dog in the bunch. With ten dogs I can't afford to feed Inova or some of the super premium foods - nor can I afford to raw feed. There are some things you can do though. If you're a member of Costco, their Kirkland Lamb and Rice has a very good rating - an A. At about $20 for a 40# bag, it's less than half the price of the Nutro Natural Choice that I can get locally. The dogs do well on it and all like it. I feed Nutro Natural Choice - which I can buy locally (we don't have a Costco near - but did feed it when my daughter and her husband lived with me - they went to Costco at least once a month).
As for raw feeding - it's expensive for me since I have so many dogs - and don't have a good supplier of the raw meaty bones that they need. IF you have a source for the chicken backs, necks, other bones, that is inexpensive, and a source for the veggies to mix in (some stores will GIVE you the fruits and vegetables that would normally be tossed) - it can be cost effective and very healthy for them. My Beagle Bay co-manager got me interested in it some years ago, but I had to stop when I got very sick and could barely dish kibble up for them, let alone preparing a raw diet. Most vets don't LIKE raw feeding - but many dogs do very well on it - WITHOUT the pricey supplements. <span style="text-decoration: underline">If</span> you're interested, I'll copy some material I have on the Bay.
By the way, for those of you who have joined Beagle Bay, MSN is closing all their groups in February and we have a new site set up on Yuku. It's still under construction, and we're busy moving all the information we've accumulated there over to the new site.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

I'm glad to know that someone else has or is feeding their dog Costco food. I feel a little guilty when I read about all these people feeding their dogs brands like Innova Evo and stuff because I know that I am feeding my dogs for so much less, but I have read the Food Guidelines and know that Costco's Lamb and Rice is better for them, or at least as good for them than a lot of these other food options (Science Diet, Iams, etc). I look at the coats on my dogs and see them so shiny it looks like I have oiled their coats and they are all decent weights and seem to be thriving and then I see someone having trouble affording the food for their dogs because it is $85 a bag and think that I should let them in on my secret. lol It shouldn't be such a secret though. It's right there in black and white.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

No reason to feel guilty! I understand that the Costco food is very good quality. I don't have a Costco membership or I probably would have tried it. Daisy gets Evo because it's the only food that I found that she didn't have extremely mushy poops or diarrhea on. The vet and I figure she is grain intolerant since everything else I tried had grains in it. Max doesn't seem to have a problem with grains so far. He's on regular Innova puppy. I had Daisy on Blue Buffalo, and I loved the cheaper price and being able to get it at PetSmart. It's a pretty quality food, but her stomach dictates what I can feed her.

I dread seeing if the price has gone up drastically. I haven't bought food in a while because the place where I get it had a good sale so I bought a lot the last time I was in there.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

It's so hard to know that what we are doing for our pets is the right thing. I love them dearly and want the best for them, but I have never been one to spend tons of money on anything. I do not believe that higher prices mean better quality that is for sure. But then I do 99% of my shopping at Wal-Mart and I know how so many people feel about them too. lol

Daisy and Max both look to me like they are thriving on their foods and that is what matters most. Just as mine seem to be doing fine on Costco's. I was thrilled to see that it rated an A on the test. That made me feel so much better about what I was choosing to feed them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Donna, Costco food has a very good rating - MUCH better than the so-called premium food, Science Diet (which has an F rating). I fed my dogs Kirkland food for years when I lived in Sacramento, and after I moved up here. But since I can't get to Costco now (the nearest Costco stores are in Spokane or Clarkston - we're in between the two - about 60 miles for either). I once asked my vet what he feeds HIS dogs - and it's Costco! I know that many vets do push Science Diet because they sell it (tho now it's available through a lot of pet stores), it's not worth the premium price they charge. IF my car was in better shape and I didn't have to drive so far I'd definitely still feed Kirkland Lamb and Rice.
By the way, Cobismom, I find that if mine start gaining weight I just cut them back a LITTLE bit - say from 1/2 cup twice a day to 1/3 cup twice a day, and use veggies as treats - the extra weight comes off and they don't seem to notice it. The weight loss foods are always more expensive than the regular!

Here's the rating chart for some popular dog foods!

Start with a grade of 100:

For every listing of by-product, subtract 10 points!
For every non-specific animal source (meat or poultry, meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points!
If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
For every grain mill run or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points!
If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. ground brown rice, brewer's rice, rice flour are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points
If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
If the food contains barley, add 2 points
If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count chicken and chicken meal as only one protein source, but chicken and beef as 2 different sources), add 1 point
If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

Grading:

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
69 and below = F

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 A
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland/(that would be from Costco/Price Club) Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal/ Score 94 A
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Ol Roy Premium Dog Food / Score 53 F
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Costco's Kirkland brand is what Maggie's breeder feeds her dogs and puppies. The only reason I took Maggie off the Costco brand when I brought her home she was because she was really picky and wouldn't eat it. I have tried multiple different brands, and the only one she really likes is the Innova Evo. Otherwise, I'd probably be feeding her the Costco brand too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

The best dog food in the world is no good if the dog won't eat it - however, I don't have a picky beagle in the bunch. If one decides they don't like a particular food (yeah right), they get it picked up and don't get fed until next time. If they're hungry they WILL eat. With 10 beagles to feed - and not much money, they're darned lucky they get what they do. My dog food budget is probably 2-3 times what MY food budget is. The Nutro is about $44/bag now - it's gone up about $15 in the past year - and they eat 2 40# bags a month. If I had just one, I'd probably be a little more lenient about what they eat - but with 10 I can't afford to do that. I just wish I COULD get to Costco but with my ancient car - I simply can't make the trip any more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts