Our Beagle World Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
table scraps??

was just wondering what the big problem is with giving dogs our food. im a sucker for cooking too much so charlie always has more of our food than his own. tonight he had a real irish classic potatos bacon and cabbage. i feed this to my one year old daughter so if its good enough for her its good enough for him in my opinion. i give him pedigree puppy kibble (waiting for the its rubbish lecture) also and i alter the amount depending on the amount of our food hes had. im aware about the weight issue but charlie spends his day running around 3 acres so he is very active. i will be choosing a better quality adult food for him when its time to change him over as i will buy the larger bags from the pet store. at the moment its convienent for me to pick up his food with the weekly shop and my budget is also not huge so i will heve to put away a little money every week to afford to buy the large bag.
i dont think its fair to judge people on what they feed there dog. some people dont have 60 or 70 eure/dollar in one go to buy the best food. at the end of the day every one does the best for their dogs and if i could afford to give charlie fillet steak every day i would, like im sure any one here would. is it not enough that our dogs are fed, warm and loved!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
was just wondering what the big problem is with giving dogs our food
Nothing as long as it's in moderation and no onions and spices. I would advise not at the tables as well.

People seem to think that the most expensive food is the best. It's not. However feeding the least expensive food long term isn't ideal as well. It's about learning ingredients and learnign the loopholes. Once you can read an ingred listing on a bag of food you will be able to pick the healthies, best food in your price range instead of just buying for price you can buy for price and nutrtion that fits you.

Hope that made sence.

DogAware.com: Commercial Dog Foods how to select

How to read lables What’s Really in Pet Food

DogAware.com: Adding Fresh Foods to Commercial Dog Food

·
Registered
14 Posts
changing from puppy to adult?

when is the best time to wean from puppy to adult food? charlie is just turned 8 months. will be doing a good bit of research before i choose his adult food to give him the best quatity in my price range. glad to hear that feeding him our food is not bad and i dont like onions either so no prob there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i dont think its fair to judge people on what they feed there dog.
Its not fair and people shouldnt be judged. I've seen food forums where if you weren't feeding your dog natural or a certain brand you would be deemed a bad owner. We all want our dogs to live long, happy, healthy lives, and feeding is only one aspect in achieving that goal. As consumers, we should be made aware of whats in our animal's foods (the good and bad) as some brands are made with less healthy ingridents than others and MAY contribute to health problems both in the long and short term.

One food source isn't and shouldnt be the end all. I feed Orijen as my daily base staple. Its a mix of 3 Orijen kibble (6 fish, red meat, and poultry). But I also feed fresh once a week with vitimans to keep a balance. I chose that brand (Orijen) because its the brand that he did best on after feeding him different brands as a pup. Whatever brand you choose to feed make sure its beneficial to your dog and he's getting proper exercise to go along with what your feeding. If you find that its not enough for him or he's being effected in other ways (excessive shedding, allergies, excessive loose stools, lethargic), then maybe you should consider a change of diet.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
when is the best time to wean from puppy to adult food? charlie is just turned 8 months. will be doing a good bit of research before i choose his adult food to give him the best quatity in my price range. glad to hear that feeding him our food is not bad and i dont like onions either so no prob there.
I generally do it after the neuter and do it over a course of a month. So I would say anytime is fine to start and start slow.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Its not fair and people shouldnt be judged. I've seen food forums where if you weren't feeding your dog natural or a certain brand you would be deemed a bad owner. We all want our dogs to live long, happy, healthy lives, and feeding is only one aspect in achieving that goal. As consumers, we should be made aware of whats in our animal's foods (the good and bad) as some brands are made with less healthy ingridents than others and MAY contribute to health problems both in the long and short term.

One food source isn't and shouldnt be the end all. I feed Orijen as my daily base staple. Its a mix of 3 Orijen kibble (6 fish, red meat, and poultry). But I also feed fresh once a week with vitimans to keep a balance. I chose that brand (Orijen) because its the brand that he did best on after feeding him different brands as a pup. Whatever brand you choose to feed make sure its beneficial to your dog and he's getting proper exercise to go along with what your feeding. If you find that its not enough for him or he's being effected in other ways (excessive shedding, allergies, excessive loose stools, lethargic), then maybe you should consider a change of diet.

With everything you have good and bad and inbetween and what you can do. I would much rather see a dog eat Ol Roy then to be starved which seems to be a fad these days.

that said people shouldn't "attack" or judge however giving another person information about foods should be acceptable and appreciated. Bottom line it's still there choice and it's better then starving.

As well people need to relize that diet is the mortor of health. So when health issue spop up the first culprite is food and also the easiest to tackle to remedy the issues.

I would much rather give people the ability to properly choose what food works for their dog and budget.

·
Registered
896 Posts

I've also seen forums where you were deemed a bad owner if you didn't feed what "they" felt was the best food! In fact, I BELONG to such a forum! (corn gulten rules and raw diets drool!):hyper::D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've also seen forums where you were deemed a bad owner if you didn't feed what "they" felt was the best food! In fact, I BELONG to such a forum! (corn gulten rules and raw diets drool!):hyper::D
LOL....I do know what you are talking about!:p
My take has always been feed what you want to your Dog, just know whats good and whats not because they don't have the choice to choose what to eat as we do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, in my country Eukanuba and Propac are considered ultra premium food (Two vets told us that they are the best food in town), and in one of these sites they are qualified at the bottom.
Yup! I have been feeding my girls eukanuba since they were young and they never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1:Dog Food Analysis
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>According to the editors, DogFoodAnalysis.com was created to assess the quality of the many commercial dog foods available. While the site does not do any testing, it looks at the ingredient information to provide an opinion about the quality of what goes into a particular food, and how appropriate those ingredients are for dogs. The site also clearly describes its rating methodology, what it looks for in pet food and what it looks to avoid. Canned and dry foods are rated from 1 to 6 stars, and many of the ratings, particularly for dry foods, are accompanied by fairly extensive discussion. </span>

2:Animal Ark
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>This site belongs to a no-kill animal shelter in Minnesota, and is clearly driven by a love of animals. With the help of Dr. Linda Wolf, DVM, the publishers of this website evaluate various dog and cat foods based mainly on ingredients. Foods with a meat-based protein source as the first ingredient, plus at least some organic ingredients, are rated highest. Negative points are given for the presence of chemical preservatives, unidentified animal products and ingredient splitting. The editors note that the original research was done in 2001 and that formulas may have changed since then. Although some rare updates are being done, readers are urged to use this list as a starting point for their own research. </span>

3: Dog Food Progject
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>The Dog Food Project is run by a woman that has researched the pet industry in general and commercial dog food specifically since 2000. Her site is filled with a wealth of information and is clearly organized. </span>

4:Dog Aware
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Mary Straus, as she explains in her site's biographical information, is a "dogaholic" who has studied to become knowledgeable about dog health and nutrition. Included on the site is a lengthy and informative discussion about feeding needs. Commercial food, raw food and other fresh food is covered. Contact information for manufacturers along with specific food and brand recommendations are included. </span>
Id like to add the best organic dog food here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1:Dog Food Analysis According to the editors, DogFoodAnalysis.com was created to assess the quality of the many commercial dog foods available. While the site does not do any testing, it looks at the ingredient information to provide an opinion about the quality of what goes into a particular food, and how appropriate those ingredients are for dogs. The site also clearly describes its rating methodology, what it looks for in pet food and what it looks to avoid. Canned and dry foods are rated from 1 to 6 stars, and many of the ratings, particularly for dry foods, are accompanied by fairly extensive discussion. 2:Animal Ark This site belongs to a no-kill animal shelter in Minnesota, and is clearly driven by a love of animals. With the help of Dr. Linda Wolf, DVM, the publishers of this website evaluate various dog and cat foods based mainly on ingredients. Foods with a meat-based protein source as the first ingredient, plus at least some organic ingredients, are rated highest. Negative points are given for the presence of chemical preservatives, unidentified animal products and ingredient splitting. The editors note that the original research was done in 2001 and that formulas may have changed since then. Although some rare updates are being done, readers are urged to use this list as a starting point for their own research. 3: Dog Food Progject The Dog Food Project is run by a woman that has researched the pet industry in general and commercial dog food specifically since 2000. Her site is filled with a wealth of information and is clearly organized. 4:Dog Aware Mary Straus, as she explains in her site's biographical information, is a "dogaholic" who has studied to become knowledgeable about dog health and nutrition. Included on the site is a lengthy and informative discussion about feeding needs. Commercial food, raw food and other fresh food is covered. Contact information for manufacturers along with specific food and brand recommendations are included.
Thanks! you really help us to find best websites for our Pets..
I think we can all agree that
Having a pet dog can be one of the most rewarding experiences that one could have. And as such, you ‘d want to provide your pet with a good and nurturing lifestyle; the likes of which they would not find in the wild.
For example, if your dog has come down with intestinal problems, as a responsible pet owner you would be able to provide it with dog food that’s appropriate for and would settle its sensitive stomach. Being able to help an otherwise helpless creature is one of the great joys of pet keeping. Here’s a guide on how to treat a dog with a sensitive stomach at the end of the conclusion.
That being said, it’s important to note that one of the biggest issues that dogs are plagued by are gastrointestinal problems. These can be caused by a multitude of factors that I will discuss later but one thing that you should be acutely aware of is the fact that many kinds of stomach issues are bound to drive your dog into a lethargic state because of all the dehydration.
And that is why as your dog food advisor, I have compiled a list of the best dog food for sensitive stomach and skin.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts