Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of switching my 2 Beagle's food as well. These sites were helpful. My decision is between Blue Buff and Orijen. I'm leaning towards Blue Buff after more research. My dogs do not hunt and are active, but not working active. Walks twice a day and running around the house with my kids is the extent of their activity. Orijen is High protein and no grain and since they are having problems with Taste of the Wild, I'm thinking Orijen will not be a good move with them, but I could be wrong. Orijen advertises fit for human consumption meaning, that all the ingredients are just like what we buy in the store, blue buff is human-grade meaning, up until a point it was the same quality as we would buy, but no longer fresh when the processing began. Orijen you have to order and Blue Buff can be bought in stores.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As an update, Ginger's been on Orijen Puppy. She is very healthy and her coat is beautiful. The only downside that I could see is that her stool's not very solid, harder to pick up. To solve this issue, I've been adding a tiny bit of lower grade food from Petsmart to every meal. That seem to resolve that issue. I'm very happy with Orijen!

Now, of course, Ginger is almost a year old, I am going to revisit her food choice and see if I should stick with Orijen or change to something else, like Innova Evo.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Food Issues

My 3 girls are all on Wellness Core... 2 are on the low-fat and 1 is on the Ocean (she's skinny). I use Science Diet TD (prescription) for their treats, maybe 2 or 3 pieces a day (it helps keep the teeth clean). Everything is going very well! A couple of times a week, I also add no-salt-added canned green beans with a spoonful of canned pumpkin to their kibble - they LOVE that! (Pumpkin helps keep the poop firm, too.) Oh, and Oprah has lost 10 pounds like this - woo hoo!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Great Website for Pet Food!

I found a great website for ordering my pets' food: Dog Food - DoggieFood.com. They carry premium brands like Blue Buffalo and Orijen (and many more) and the prices are excellent. I paid $49 for Wellness Core and it's $63 at my local store. Make sure you look at the "Promotions" section, this is where the help comes for those of us with multiple pets: Free shipping on orders over $200! You can pool your order with friends and neighbors if you don't need four 26 pound bags of food yourself. :dance:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I found a great website for ordering my pets' food: Dog Food - DoggieFood.com. They carry premium brands like Blue Buffalo and Orijen (and many more) and the prices are excellent. I paid $49 for Wellness Core and it's $63 at my local store. Make sure you look at the "Promotions" section, this is where the help comes for those of us with multiple pets: Free shipping on orders over $200! You can pool your order with friends and neighbors if you don't need four 26 pound bags of food yourself. :dance:

Thanks for sharing! I am definatley going to check this out :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello....................

What are some good, viable sites to find information on dog food ingredients, canned vs dry, whats best for the dogs digestive tract, etc. Personal experience is also good. Thanks!!

Site .........

dogware.com
godfoodproject.com

Unlike many here I do NOT like the analysis website. I think it's outdated and doesn't have good solid information.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ace is on Orijen but he gets raw food as well.
I like Orijen because the poop is firm and
much less. Before he had Health Extension , got it from the breeder but I had to order it on line and only the shipping was $ 14, and there was more carb in it.
Here in LA I can buy Orijen, some places carry it. I'm satisfied. I also like Honest Kitchen. Small box but you can make a lot of meals from it. I use the Thrive and put some extra meat in it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I liked the sites a lot, very interesting and useful, everybody should read it.
Thank you.
So what do you feed your dog?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello all,

I want to weigh in on this dog food issue. I owned a pet supply store for 13 years and have way too much experience with dog food.

First of all I would like to say that you should look to see if there is any motivation as to why somebody would recommend one type of dog food over another. My experience with veterinarians is that they tend to recommend the food that they sell and no others. I have a couple of friends that are vets and I've told them that I think this is clearly a conflict of interest. Their response is that they need those additional sales to keep their practices profitable. At one time I even had a vet "cut me in on a deal" on a food that he was selling so that he could get his volume up. That food was Wysong. For years Science Diet gave preferential treatment to vets but that all fell apart when other manufactures started producing so-called prescription diets.

For a period of time in my store Iams was the one we pushed because that was the one that got me the most kick backs from the manufacturer for shelf space used. Everytime the sales rep walked through the door he would peel off 5 nice $100 bill for me. During a later period we pushed Advanced Pet Diets for the same reason. When I emphasized their products my volume climbed and the result was lower prices for me and higher profit margins.

Something else to consider is AAFCO labeling. The label might say poultry by-products. Under AAFCO this can include beaks, feathers, and feet. All are protein but unfortunately it is nondigestable protein...it goes in one end and out the other but the label touts the fact that you're feeding your dog chicken.

I became so cynical about this issue that I left a very lucrative business. The commercial pet food business is driven by profits, quality comes second, not first as they would like you to believe. Some of the ingredients in dog food are illegal to put in human foods but the people that write the rules for AAFCO are the manufacturers themselves! When they tell you how safe those preservatives are you should ask them to eat some to prove it. I could write a book on this subject and I could tell you a lot more but this post is already too long.

I feed my dogs (Mattie and Douglas) the John Miller method. It's a little more work but I honestly believe that my dogs will live healthier, longer lives for it. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's a link to his book:

www.freebeagletraining.com/go/healthydogfood

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting but this is a subject close to my heart.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wanted to add something to my previous post. Our Beagles are dogs and dogs are carnivores. I've never heard of a carnivore hunting down some kibble. No matter what the dog food manufacturers or your vererinarian or your local pet store tells you, 50 years of producing commercial dog foods has not replaced millions of years of evolution. Our Beagles are genetically programmed to eat meat. Real meat, not something squeezed through an extruder with who knows what other ingredients.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Mr. Clayton can you tell us something about the Miller method without buying the book, please?
I'm really interested but I don't have any extra money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The book is an ebook which means that you download it from the internet. It has well over 200 recipes in it and when I'm ready to try a new one I just print it out. It actually may be closer to 300 recipes because he sends out updates periodically with more recipes. The main ingredient in all of the recipes is meat, usually beef or chicken are the ones that I gravitate to but there are recipes with every type of meat you can think of. They seem to be 1/2-3/4 meat with the balance being good carbohydrates. Different vegetables and no pastas or breads. John Mller explains the health benefits and what recipes are good for what ailment. It may sound like an expensive way to feed your dogs but since there is no filler you feed a lot less. I have only found a couple of recipes that my female didn't care for. My male will eat anything. I read an article once that said dogs on this kind of diet will live several years longer than ones that don't. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good Information. I feed my dog First Mate (the Fish Formula) He loves it. It's grain free and its local. I looked on the website and I couldn't find it except a write up from 2006... Hopefully they will rate it soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newfieworld.net

1:Dog Food Analysis
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>According to the editors, DogFoodAnalysis.com was created to assess the quality of the many commercial dog foods available. While the site does not do any testing, it looks at the ingredient information to provide an opinion about the quality of what goes into a particular food, and how appropriate those ingredients are for dogs. The site also clearly describes its rating methodology, what it looks for in pet food and what it looks to avoid. Canned and dry foods are rated from 1 to 6 stars, and many of the ratings, particularly for dry foods, are accompanied by fairly extensive discussion. </span>

2:Animal Ark
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>This site belongs to a no-kill animal shelter in Minnesota, and is clearly driven by a love of animals. With the help of Dr. Linda Wolf, DVM, the publishers of this website evaluate various dog and cat foods based mainly on ingredients. Foods with a meat-based protein source as the first ingredient, plus at least some organic ingredients, are rated highest. Negative points are given for the presence of chemical preservatives, unidentified animal products and ingredient splitting. The editors note that the original research was done in 2001 and that formulas may have changed since then. Although some rare updates are being done, readers are urged to use this list as a starting point for their own research. </span>

3: Dog Food Progject
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>The Dog Food Project is run by a woman that has researched the pet industry in general and commercial dog food specifically since 2000. Her site is filled with a wealth of information and is clearly organized. </span>

4:Dog Aware
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Mary Straus, as she explains in her site's biographical information, is a "dogaholic" who has studied to become knowledgeable about dog health and nutrition. Included on the site is a lengthy and informative discussion about feeding needs. Commercial food, raw food and other fresh food is covered. Contact information for manufacturers along with specific food and brand recommendations are included. </span>
Hi ALL,
This is the best site for Dogs where you can find every Product related to your Dog.

Welcome to Newfie World | Information, Gifts, and Forums for Newfoundland Dog Lovers | Home

Hope you will enjoy the information.

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts