Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1:Dog Food Analysis
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>According to the editors, DogFoodAnalysis.com was created to assess the quality of the many commercial dog foods available. While the site does not do any testing, it looks at the ingredient information to provide an opinion about the quality of what goes into a particular food, and how appropriate those ingredients are for dogs. The site also clearly describes its rating methodology, what it looks for in pet food and what it looks to avoid. Canned and dry foods are rated from 1 to 6 stars, and many of the ratings, particularly for dry foods, are accompanied by fairly extensive discussion. </span>

2:Animal Ark
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>This site belongs to a no-kill animal shelter in Minnesota, and is clearly driven by a love of animals. With the help of Dr. Linda Wolf, DVM, the publishers of this website evaluate various dog and cat foods based mainly on ingredients. Foods with a meat-based protein source as the first ingredient, plus at least some organic ingredients, are rated highest. Negative points are given for the presence of chemical preservatives, unidentified animal products and ingredient splitting. The editors note that the original research was done in 2001 and that formulas may have changed since then. Although some rare updates are being done, readers are urged to use this list as a starting point for their own research. </span>

3: Dog Food Progject
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>The Dog Food Project is run by a woman that has researched the pet industry in general and commercial dog food specifically since 2000. Her site is filled with a wealth of information and is clearly organized. </span>

4:Dog Aware
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Mary Straus, as she explains in her site's biographical information, is a "dogaholic" who has studied to become knowledgeable about dog health and nutrition. Included on the site is a lengthy and informative discussion about feeding needs. Commercial food, raw food and other fresh food is covered. Contact information for manufacturers along with specific food and brand recommendations are included. </span>

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just briefly glanced through a couple of these sites. There is some very good information there. It's too bad that some of the foods with very good ratings are not available to everyone.
Thank you for sharing this - it's "good stuff".

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Thanks! These are some good sites. I switched Daisy from Authority Harvest Baked (she started not eating it at all) to Nutro Ultra Puppy after recommendations from her trainer and reading the information on the first site posted. She seems to love the Nutro.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Okay, so we have been on the home prepared food for three weeks now. Some days I hit it right, and some days it's the upturned nose, and then begging at dinner for what we eat. Has anyone been watching Rachel Ray's cooking show for dogs and cats? I found some good ideas there...meatballs were a hit. But yet, I wonder, with two hungry little men, how will I make enough and stay on food budget for family. According to the vet, as long as I don't put salt and lots of spices into the food, anything we eat is okay for the boys. Yet, we aren't supposed to feed table scraps. So, any ideas out there? Books, recipes, etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, in my country Eukanuba and Propac are considered ultra premium food (Two vets told us that they are the best food in town), and in one of these sites they are qualified at the bottom.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks for posting that BeagleBabe. We just sat through a nutrition class last night for Bodie's puppy class. It was an awakening to say the least. The one thing I did learn is price doesn't necessarily dictate the quality. We now know what to look for in the ingredients and what to stay away from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dog food analysis is a great link..I currently was giving my beagle Maddie Nutro Max and she was having allergy issues..having to scratch more and seems like she literally has to clear her throat and she had vomited once some yellow bile. She was on Beneful before I got her which is not a good food either I'm going to try EVO low fat since she does need to lose some weight(currently 35) Anybody have any experience with EVO? Its a little more money but like my own kids, if improves their well being, to me its worth it

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
A lot of people here speak very highly of the Evo. I haven't tried it for Maggie but we have used the Wellness Core low fat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I heard that's a good one too, no grains in it either I believe..so your beagle is Maggie and mine is Maddie

·
Registered
23 Posts
No doubt, Evo is a hit..this is the first time I saw Maddie lick her bowl TWICE yesterday...wayy after she finished eating as if she wanted more. She hasn't done that since I had her

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about a brand called Blue? A trainer I met was talking it up. Ingredients looked good, I didn't see anything that I've heard to avoid.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is that Blue Buffalo? Not familiar with just plain Blue!

Blue Buffalo is a great food, though on the pricey side. You'd get more bang for your buck from Wellness or Taste of the Wild.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone heard or have your dog on Orijen? I keep seeing it and hearing about it as being a high quality dog food.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't tried Orijen (I'm getting their weight management next) but it's rated 6 star on dogfoodanalysis.com. I think their belief is that dogs wouldn't naturally get alot of grains in the wild so they up the meat/protein content including fish and ensure their food is completely grain free. They're from Alberta, Canada. If anyone has tried it I'd also like to know whether it's worth the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This site was really helpful. I switched both of my dogs to Wellness about a month ago and they love it. The only issue I have had is they are both having looser stools- some days are worse than others .How long should I wait to see if this resolves?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts