Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arty has a habit of whining/howling and seeming really sad everytime i come home (after he's been left alone). My boyfriend's family has three bassetts and he's never seen that with his dog. In fact, the first time we got Arty and left him alone, we were really freaked out by the way he acted when we came back. We thought he was hurt!

Today I finally got the bright idea to film what he does and upload it on youtube. This was a more "mellow" version because I was not gone for very long. He gets a little more "rambunctious" towards the end of the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGSx8tjHKLQ

·
Registered
509 Posts
yep thats Glover for ya too! he howls, well he is stopping now thank goodness! but he used to and now he barks at me at night when I come home from late shift.

but yeah, thats separation anxiety I think

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yep! I hate to tell you this, but you have a beagle... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Chloe does the same thing, and she quiets down only after a few minutes. She actually tries jumping on me (and she jumps to impressive heights too) but gets the message when I ignore her and give her attention only when she calms down. It helps.

Arty is cute as hell though.... he seems to gentle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He really is the most gentle dog i have ever met. Even when I give him food that he really wants, he'll still only take it gently from my fingers. He really is a treasure. I just cant understand why anyone would give him up.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Awww bless him what a sweetie.

I have to say though that none of my dogs have ever done this. They go nuts when I get home and dance around and try to jump all over me sometimes but they don't whine like that.

Rosa runs around in circles panting and Sherry runs from the living room to the kitchen and back again..all excited because mummy is home but they do it quietly.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh my goodness!! That's just too cute. Arty is adorable. Amber (she was the Beagle mix I had before Jersey) used to do something like that, but not that vocal. Just the whining. It sounds like he's just super happy to see you. It's almost like he's trying to talk to you and tell you how happy he is that you returned. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I wouldn't worry unless he's doing the same thing while you're gone...then it's separation anxiety.

And I forgot to add. I wish I'd had a video camera when I was playing that video. Jersey's reaction was hillarious. I'm using the laptop and she was sniffing and looking trying to find where the dog was. :hi:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Oh yes - well, ONE of mine does the whining/crying thing - my "Joe" is such a mama's boy I get greeted like that if I just go out to the garbage can! It's like he's saying, "mamma, you came home - oh oh I'm soooo happy to see you, I thought you were GONE FOREVER".

Here's a little "article" I found - that sort of puts it all into words!
It's called "She's Home"!
I hear it! I hear the car! HER car! And she's coming this way!
Oh, oh, I must run in and grab a gift! I must greet her with a gift!
Oh, ’BONK’ missed the step. No matter, I must hurry. Move over, doggy door! She's coming, she's coming!
Gift, gift, where, what, oh, oh, oh, ah! A plastic bottle she drinks from, right here on top of the container they call trash! Oh, perfect.
She's coming, she's coming! Oh, oh, oh...
The door! I hear the door sound that sounds right before she comes in!
Oh, it's OPENING! SHE'S HOME!
Oh, oh, ’wiggle, wiggle, wiggle’ I cannot be still! You're home! And look, look, I have this nice bottle! Oh, oh, you're home! YOU'RE HOME!
I have missed you so much, you've been gone hours, weeks, days, years! And so much has happened! A dog ran by and I chewed a tree and Pluto slept under the house and it rained a little!
Oh, oh, oh! You're home, you're home!
And you're touching me! I can't stand it, it's so marvelous! Oh, and you're speaking! “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.”
YES! Your happy voice. Oh, I'm about to burst! I'm so happy, happy, happy! Yes! I want to jump! I'm not supposed to jump, but oh, oh, just a little jump!
”Off.”
Darn. Oh, I cannot be still.
I'll roll over and wiggle on my back! Oh, yes! She's rubbing me–my tummy, my head, my sides! Oh, oh,oh.
Now what? Now where's she going? Oh, oh, yes! Back to the room where we sleep at night! Great! It has the big pad we sleep on and ’L–E–A–P‘ I can get up here close to her.
And here she comes!
Oh, oh, oh! I can stand on my legs and put my paws around her neck and–uh oh. Can't lick with this bottle in my mouth. But it’s my present to her! Oh, oh, what to do? And she's rubbing me! But I want to lick her, oh, oh, I think I'm about to burst!
”Off.”
Oh, darn. Drop the bottle. Oh, YES! She’s coming back!
She took off the pieces she puts on her eyes, and I can stand and 'lick, lick' I love you, I love you, I love you, I love ’lick, lick, lick’ you taste so good, salty, sweet, I love that stuff you smear on your face every day, I love to lick it off, oh, oh, and you're rubbing me again!
My back, my head, my ears, oh, oh ’lick, lick, lick’. ”Murble, murble, Mickee, good boy, murble, murble.”
”Off.”
Darn.
I will lay here and watch her. Watch her peel her fur–it’s–not. It is very warm. I don’t know because I don’t think. How does she do that?
And I will get that look on my face that always makes her come and rub me. The look where I roll my eyes up, and keep my head flat here and she will come...and she's putting on her play skin! YES! We will play–sometime. My tail cannot be still. I am SO happy, happy, happy.
Now she’s going in the room with the wonderful water bowl! I LOVE that water bowl – always cool, clean water! She'll be out in just a minute, just a minute, just a.....yes, she's coming! She's here again.
Oh, oh, oh....
Now back to the room with the box that has pictures and sounds. Ah, I know what happens now. Yep, she's laying down on the big pad there. Now she'll sleep. But that’s okay.
She's HOME!
SHE'S home.
She's home.
And she smells tired. So I will lay beside her here and guard her and wait while she sleeps. And when she wakes up she won’t smell so tired. And we'll play and play.
S–i–g–h. I’ll just rest with her now, and smell her while she sleeps.
And wait again. For, the next thing that happens, HE'’LL be home.
And then, oh, oh, zzzzzzzzz........
-Written by Jana Mauney

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I LOVE that! When I saw the post and thought about Joe, I remembered that I'd saved "She's Home" for my beagle group. Sometimes it's a little OVERPOWERING when I come home, as there are so many to greet me and they ALL want attention - but boy do I feel LOVED! I think the author has been watching ALL of us Jen!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh, that is adorable! I agree, he is just telling you all about his day and how happy he is to see you! How wonderful that you found each other /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That seems familiar! Arty is such a sweetheart.

For you Star Wars people out there, my boyfriend and I argue whether our Bones, when she howls and "sings" and carries on like Arty does, sounds more like a wookie or a tauntaun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's a lot like our house too. We started shooing them into the backyard to run and sniff their happiness into more moderate levels.

Familiar visitors to our house get that kind of greeting as well. Lucy and Flora believe "the more the merrier" whether human or canine.

We should have taped the greeting when we came back from our vacation that was a month long....

·
Registered
751 Posts
sounds like Marley too. I take it that they are anxious and seeking attention.

Marley whimpers and runs and jumps so bad when hubby comes home. It sounds like someone is hurting him, or that he is calling out to my husband sooooo bad that if he doesn't come in faster he will just die. I often say "oh Marley stop it, you are not gonna die, calm down!"

What is helping is that hubby ignores him a bit when he gets in and when Marley is very jumpy (almost clear to my husband's face), and whiney, hubby puts his hands behind his back, and Marley sits and stops whining, knowing he is getting ready to pet him.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
LOVE the article.....could have been written at our house too. (Especially the last part 'bout sleeping in a pile on the couch)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts