Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I find this the strangest thing. Whenever Parker is is a playful mood or we are about to leave the house (this is when he's put into his cage) he runs under my bed and barks up a storm. The only way he'll come out is if you crawl under and remove him yourself. <--- This is really difficult because the under part of the bed is just perfect size for a Beagle, not a human. I have found this a huge hassle. Making me late for school, or what not.
Has your Beagle ever done this? Is it normal? And what can I do to stop him from doing this horrible habit?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sounds like separation anxiety. You may want to try to change his thought of you leaving with something positive, like giving him treats and luring him to his crate. It's normal but like, not normal you know what I mean? He just doesn't want you to go, and having to drag him out and force him into the crate doesn't make him want to go in there either...lol so try treats!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Parker doesn't want you to leave --- like that's obvious. I have two, so when I want to get out of the house, I have to start preparing a little more than five minutes before I leave. I set my things on the counter, walk around and do other things, play with them for a while, so that they know they are important. Every beagle needs to know that. And then I'll put my coat on, sit a play a little more. And then it's time to leave....a cookie or treat in their kennels, we keep them separated but next to each other....and I can get out the door without too much hassle. They bark when I am leaving, but I am told by my son and Neighbors (who hear when the windows are open) that as soon as the car leaves the driveway, they settle down. I also leave a radio or tv on...for noise and comfort so they know they are not alone (or so they think)....good luck!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Treats definately help. It may take a few tries but you want to make the crate a positive place. Maybe some high quality treats or a stuffed Kong to distract him while you leave. Try not to make leaving such a big ordeal so he doesn't associate it with a negative experience. Good luck :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Treats definately help. It may take a few tries but you want to make the crate a positive place. Maybe some high quality treats or a stuffed Kong to distract him while you leave. Try not to make leaving such a big ordeal so he doesn't associate it with a negative experience. Good luck :)
Alright. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Treats, toys, something fun..and don't wait til the last minute because they know! I have a treat toy for Andy and Molly and they look forward to getting it when I leave. They get their treat, i gate the kitchen and just say bye-bye. No big drama, petting them or anything.

·
Registered
139 Posts
just go about your business and leave, make no drama out of it, or do anything special as he may be reacting to this and knows he will get attention. when we only had Meg, she got her kong stuffed with treats and peanut butter, but only and only when we left her alone. we used to get it ready for her and you could tell she was thinking " hurry up and go, let me have my kong " then we could go out for a few hours no problem. now we have ollie as well, we cant do it as they might end up fighting over the kongs :-( . but anyway they both get a small biscuit each that they can eat quickly so no arguments and we just go out. as they have gotten older, they dont mind us going, and are still just as pleased to see us when we get back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My girl is pretty good with me leaving lately becuase I give her the kong stuffed with her favorites. I actually have some high value treats that she only gets for each event. When I leave she gets her kong with her favorite kong treat in it so when she sees the kong come out she knows whats going to happen but doesn't really care because she LOVES that treat. When she pees outside she gets a different kind of treat and when she lets us clean her ears she gets a different kind. It works for me but I am definitely no dog trainer. My girl hides under the bed when shes done something that she wasn't spose to do so when shes gone I go looking for the reason shes hiding. Good luck with this situation though. Maybe the treat thing will work for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have found that by leaving in the same way every time, they get to know that your coming home.

With Manny I will give him a great big hug, a huge "Now you be a good boy today..."
followed by his dental treat.....and "Ill see you tonight."

I have done this every day. We follow this routine even on the weekend...whenever we leave and no matter or how long. And it seems to help, as he knows we are coming home and doesnt seem to fret!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts