Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Moose certainly doesn't chew his - there has been the odd time he has thrown up afterwards and it all comes back up looking exactly the same as it went down!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe is the only one who chews kibble, by kibble! Takes him forever to eat 1cup of food! We joke and say that is why he is the skinniest beagle of the three!

Cole, forget about it, from day one when he was only 6 weeks old, he inhaled his food!

Gino does the same as Cole, when they are eating sometimes I yell "Breathe! Breathe!"

I am cosidering getting two of those special bowls to slow them down a bit, can't be good for digestion!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Roscoe is the only one who chews kibble, by kibble! Takes him forever to eat 1cup of food! We joke and say that is why he is the skinniest beagle of the three!
Starla does the EXACT same thing. We finally figured out that she is the leaving the triangle shaped bits in the bowl and on the floor but eating everything else. I'm not sure what flavor those triangle kibbles are, but they must be pretty nasty for a pig like her to not eat them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Scout nibbles his dry food, but when it comes to a carrot or ice cube gone in seconds. mike bones go in no seconds flat. The green colored dry food seem to stay around longer than the other colors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am cosidering getting two of those special bowls to slow them down a bit, can't be good for digestion!!
What bowls are you talking about? I was thinking the same thing about Bianca and digestion. There is literally no chewing involved when she eats.

·
Registered
890 Posts
What bowls are you talking about? I was thinking the same thing about Bianca and digestion. There is literally no chewing involved when she eats.
Google "Dog Bowls to slow eating". There are lots of them out there.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Here is a pic of one type of bowl that helps slow them down. The idea is they can't get at all of their kibble so quickly b/c they have to work around the plastic bumps in the bowl.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I noticed a couple of different types after doing a google search. Anyone have any experience using these? Do they actually work? Any recommendations on which type?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Both of Mine chew, Unless of course it involves human remains, then Rolo opens his windpipe and done the tube it goes, he is not a beag.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Instead of using the 'slow down' bowls, we took a heavy bowl that was a bit smaller than her dish and put it in there upside down. This forces the food into a smaller area, which makes her slow down...instead of inhaling her food, she would lick it up really fast. It probably doubled the time it took her to eat.

Now we hand feed at least the first half of the bowl as a training tool (working on listening, tricks, etc) and then she gets the rest. We found this method a huge help for more than just slowing her down...she listens a heck of a lot better now too!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Chewing food????

I have one who inhales his food, and the other is very slow, and determine to chew each morsel. Even with treats, one swallows whole, and the other will chew the cookie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts