Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie has turned into such a chow hound these past few months, that I've noticed she doesn't even bother to chew her kibble...she literally inhales it and swallows it whole. I buy her Innova Evo small bites, but I'm thinking maybe I should switch to a larger size kibble so she HAS to chew. I'm not only worried about digestion problems with the unchewed food, but also about her teeth that are not getting a good chewing workout with each meal. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not only does Sally chew her kibble, she eats it one. piece. at. a. time.

<chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom> . . . <chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom> . . . <chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom> . . . <chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom>

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Susi and Snoopy seem to think its a race to get their food down. I sometimes wonder if they would notice if I filled their bowls with sawdust.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: SallyNot only does Sally chew her kibble, she eats it one. piece. at. a. time.

<chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom> . . . <chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom> . . . <chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom> . . . <chomp> <scrunch> <crunchcrunch> <nom>

I could actually picture her eating.

Chloe eats a few at a time, but chews!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sometimes, when Jersey is extra hungry, she just inhales her food. Usually though, she chews her kibble a few peices at a time. Sometimes she picks it up out of the bowl, drops it on the floor and then eats it off the floor.

And I'm giggling just thinking of Sally eating her kibble like a proper little lady, one peice at a time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our senior, Misty, is the only one who chews her food. The other three inhale theirs. Traveler chews a little better than he used to. That could be because he's getting older, and is missing some teeth.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie does chew and eats relatively slowly for a beagle. However, I have noticed that if a cat is in the vicinity she eats a little faster even though they have no interest in her food.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker takes a bit of time, but the others scarf it down... and there have been a couple of times when one or the other has thrown up a while after dinner and what comes up looks EXACTLY like went down - hasn't been chewed at all!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sadie eats her kibble very fast, she can't possibly be chewing it. I worry sometimes because she has choked on her food a few times. Pooh Bear chews his food slowly. Sadie tries to help him with his bowl after she has inhaled her bowl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Abby does some of both, sometimes she chews and sometimes she inhales! It's funny but I started putting a tennis ball in her food so she has to work around it and slow down. Same with the water; it sounded like she was choking on the water a few times...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Define chew. Cobi has never chewed his food, and Casie has taken the same habit. It's a race, even though they are in different rooms to see who gets done first. I don't know if it's good for them or not, but drives me crazy.

Cathy
Casie and Cobi's mom

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sherry chews it properly, Rosa just swallows it whole. It doesn't seem to bother her though as she is never sick and her poop is normal so I'm sure it's not a problem if they don't always chew it up.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It depends. When we feed them, they aren't always that interested. Violet is always the first in the bowl, but she will often take a mouthful (and I mean a mouthful!) and bring it in to eat it. Cassie eats from bowol to bowl. Duke will soemtimes ignore his food until later in the evening, depending on how hungry he is.

Now if they are all into eating at the same time, that's when they race each other to see who can eat theirs the fastest, and that is usually when they inhale without chewing.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That sounds JUST like Roscoe! I like to say he savors his food and really enjoys each, little piece!

Cole on the other hand, total vacuum cleaner, gone in less than two minutes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts