Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed at every vet office I've been to that they just seem to do things and take certain tests without asking your approval. Now if the test is needed, of course it will be done. I just wish they would ask me and break down the cost before the vet automatically does it.

For instance, I was with my mom and we took her JRT to the vet. They performed a fecal test, a cytology and impression smear test. The vet briefly mentioned what they were for but didn't explain why it was needed or the cost (What would they have done if we assumed it was free?). They never mentioned anything about an extra charge (although I knew there would be). So we get the bill and it's an extra $90 for the tests and medication the vet prescribed. The medication is for a runny nose. The tests came out negative, but they want to retest next time he's there.

Once again, if the dog needed the tests done then I/my mom would be more than willing! Anything for either of our babies. But I feel some of these vets seem to take useless, overpriced tests just to make an extra buck. And it bugs me even more how some vets act like it's nothing and nonchalantly say we're going to do this. Like it's expected every customer just has an extra $100 to blow at a simple checkup.

·
Registered
223 Posts
OOh that would drive me nuts!

I have been pretty lucky in that I found a vet who printed out how much everything would cost before doing it (of course all of it added to be around $400 dollars, ouch). However, one time I was concerned about Arty's anal glands and the vet expressed them and charged me for it even though I just wanted to know if his glands were infected. That was kind of irritating.

I think that I also usually tell them up front that I need to know how much each procedure will cost before they do it for me.

Maybe next time if they do things w/out telling you the price you can be like oh my gosh I did not know it would cost that much, i cant afford it and let them sweat a bit before you pay it so next time they will let you know first.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Not all vets explain exactly what and why they are doing tests for. Just like many many doctors don't tell you exactly what they are testing when they take your blood. It doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.
If I were you, I would just ask the vet at the beginning of the visit, to tell you exactly what he's doing and what he's doing it for. If you are not satisfied.... get another vet - there are plenty of them out there.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our vet asks us our permission for EVERY test since we are paying for it. I would have a word with the OWNER of the hospital. If they say something like, Well thats how we do things. Then tell them you will only pay for tests that you approve in writing. No signature, no payment. Thats how YOU do things.

If they do anything like this, its time to find another vet.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I have never come across this. Our vet is so fair and we have 100% trust in him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Bagel's vet tells me everything up front but then I've known her since she was in grade school - I think vets are like doctors, find one you trust and one that takes the time to tell you what's up! Yes, it would bother me, not that i would ever spare the expense for the Bagel but I want to know what is going on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I asked dozens of questions before my first visit just because Zbój is my first dog... I ended up with a 'puppy-package' for $275 which included all vaccines, tests, etc. up to 6 moths of age...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My vet always lets me know what he's going to do and what the cost will be. I've been going there for 15 years now though. There have been times when my Amber girl was sick that I told him up front, do whatever you have to - cost is not an issue. But those were the times when I was worried that I was going to lose her. Lately, I've been unhappy with the staff, and I'm contemplating a change of office, but that is a whole different topic.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Mine tells me what they want to do, and what's it for.

But most of the time i take Dixie in, it's been to get a shot or something.

Plus Dixie's vet name is Dr. Wolf who has 4 dogs at home.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We use two vets, the one in town, for routine things, and another in East Ridge for more in depth things. Neither does extra things without telling us. When Traveler had his dental procedure a couple of weeks ago, we were given an estimate with a complete breakdown of all costs. Ouch, expensive, but we had the option of saying no, and weren't surprised by extra charges.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think I'm extremely fortunate in my vet. He never orders tests just because - and he always lets me know what is necessary. He understands that I'm a senior citizen on a limited income - and he often gives me discounts. I have a friend who has 5 dogs - I think her vet sees her coming - and is just test happy - and of course, always finds something wrong - my personal feeling is that the vet knows that my friend will pay anything for any reason for her dogs. If Dr. Randy feels a test is necessary, he'll order it, but he's not one for let's get all we can out of this old lady because she loves her dogs.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Our vet always explains why the tests are necessary and the cost before they do them. They want us to know why they are doing them. I also have always asked lots of questions.I agree with Murphy's Dad. Talk to the owner and explain that you want final say on tests. If not I would look for a different vet. You must be 100% confident in whomever is treating your pets.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to have a talk with the vet next time. Thank you everyone for your input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a great vet but they tend to do this as well.

I just tell them up front that they let me know of anything and everything they do, plus the cost of it before hand.

They have always been more than willing to oblige.

Yes, it did bother me at first, but they know how I am now and always ask first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts