Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Bailey is a 2 1/2 year old beagle. We constantly get asked what he is mixed with. He was sold to us as a beagle however the breeder wasn’t registered and we never saw his parents. Silly of us, I know! I posted here when he was only a little puppy and everyone seemed to think all beagle but for the past 2 years nearly every chat I have with anyone about Bailey they ask what he is mixed with!

We live in Australia where most beagles we have seen look similar to this:

We go to regular beagle meet ups and he definitely looks different. They seem to have a bit of a different face and much shorter legs and smaller in general to Bailey. Bailey seems to be a little taller than most with longer legs and a longer snout. He acts totally beagle though always with his nose on the ground and he has a typical beagle howl. He weighs about 19/20kg which I believe is heavier than recommended despite daily walks and being on a “healthy weight/diet” kibble.

Based on my googling I have thought beAgle x harrier based on photos I have seen. However I have never seen a harrier in real life and they are definitely not a popular breed here so it might be unlikely.

He is a beautiful boy no matter what he is but I do wonder... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
918 Posts
He looks very beagle to me...could he be from taller lines?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is so handsome and sure has the beagle stance.
Thank you. I sure think he is a handsome boy.

He looks very beagle to me...could he be from taller lines?
Maybe that is the case, still all beagle just taller.
It’s just so odd that literally everyone we meet that has a beagle always asks! And at our beagle meet ups, which often bring between 20-40 beagles together for a walk; he really does look quite different to them.

Do American beagles and Australian/English beagles look different to each other?

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
I have noticed that beagles from different countries tend to have very different looks. My first beagle was from a litter in which the mom was very tiny and the dad was taller and stocky so Benny had a stocky body and short legs. I think the white blaze on your beag's face is a bit different looking too, that might be why people ask. Gives him extra character, I think he is very handsome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good looking beagle for sure, posture, eyes, tail... he is a beagle and I imagine that his love for food too. I know what I am talking about 100% beagle 100% handsome- love his “superior” look on life.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
If you love him that's all that matters...
Regardless good looking! People have questioned me about my dog because she's slim. Shes a purebred..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have noticed that beagles from different countries tend to have very different looks. My first beagle was from a litter in which the mom was very tiny and the dad was taller and stocky so Benny had a stocky body and short legs. I think the white blaze on your beag's face is a bit different looking too, that might be why people ask. Gives him extra character, I think he is very handsome.
Thanks :) I never have thought the blaze was different but that’s cool if it is, I’ve always loved it ❤ I also have a golden retriever too and the English/European lines look quite different to the American ones in shape and particularly in colour. So I guess it’s probably the case with many breeds, beagles included :)

Good looking beagle for sure, posture, eyes, tail... he is a beagle and I imagine that his love for food too. I know what I am talking about 100% beagle 100% handsome- love his “superior” look on life.

He is absolutely food obsessed. And I can’t resist those big brown eyes of his so he definitely gets what he wants haha You have a beauty there too, thanks!

If you love him that's all that matters...
Regardless good looking! People have questioned me about my dog because she's slim. Shes a purebred..
View attachment 41651
Gorgeous! People get used to seeing stockier (and chubbier) beagles, I think. Bailey used to be on the thinner side too until he turned one and filled out. I do love him no matter what, I just get curious. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 41646 View attachment 41647 View attachment 41648 View attachment 41649
Bailey is a 2 1/2 year old beagle. We constantly get asked what he is mixed with. He was sold to us as a beagle however the breeder wasn’t registered and we never saw his parents. Silly of us, I know! I posted here when he was only a little puppy and everyone seemed to think all beagle but for the past 2 years nearly every chat I have with anyone about Bailey they ask what he is mixed with!

We live in Australia where most beagles we have seen look similar to this:

We go to regular beagle meet ups and he definitely looks different. They seem to have a bit of a different face and much shorter legs and smaller in general to Bailey. Bailey seems to be a little taller than most with longer legs and a longer snout. He acts totally beagle though always with his nose on the ground and he has a typical beagle howl. He weighs about 19/20kg which I believe is heavier than recommended despite daily walks and being on a “healthy weight/diet” kibble.

Based on my googling I have thought beAgle x harrier based on photos I have seen. However I have never seen a harrier in real life and they are definitely not a popular breed here so it might be unlikely.

He is a beautiful boy no matter what he is but I do wonder... What do you guys think?
beautiful boy you have there, no matter what he is, definitely beagle enough in him to be called a beagle. looks like a lot of pleasure to enjoy with him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks a lot like the Beagle we rescued. Although, differently colored. She’s suppose to be pure too but a lot of people ask us if she’s mixed. She’s large & has a straighter muzzle & deep chest that makes her look overweight (she’s not- she’s literally big-boned) depending on how she holds herself. She acts entirely Beagley in every way, though, and we’ve always scoured the Internet for evidence of other Beagles that might look like her. We ultimately came across a posting somewhere with a picture of a Beagle just like her and they said that that dog was of German stock. Seems to make sense to me since she’s so muscular, etc. You also might like to consider the difference between Beagles bred to work and lines bred for show, as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts