Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else's beagle point?

I've been told by some beagle owners here at work that this is not typical beagle behavior so am curious to know if anyone else's beagle does this...

Sometimes when we are outside, Abby will catch a scent or see something in the yard that fully catches her attention. At that point she stands stock still, head up, tail out and still with her right paw lifted.

So, does you dog do this? And, even if they don't - do they do anything like this that strikes you as odd/interesting??

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Re: Does anyone else's beagle point?

Molly definately points and so did my first beagle Benny. Molly holds the paw up, tail straight out and sniffs/looks in the direction of the critter.

·
Registered
205 Posts

JoJo does it, too. I always laugh a bit when she does. Her paw ALWAYS goes up if she sees something or wants something.

If we're outside, she'll do the full pointing, but then quickly goes to being a beagle...arooos, howls, and follows her nose.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

Violet is quite the little pointer. Her prey? Well, usually Duke! lol She will literally stalk him across the yard, in full point the whole time. We ceack up because she thinks she is being sly and sneaking up on him and he is looking straight at her the whole time.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I wish Caesar would point, it would eliminate a lot of guessing. But he does stare, maybe that's his way of pointing.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Murphy does that-especially when he sees a bird or rabbit close.

He'll freeze, tail up, one front paw lifted and point. If it's more than 10 seconds or so he'll start creeping forward-almost like he's tip-toeing.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Caelia hasn't really shown this behavior yet, but my goodness does Leo point! It is hilarious, he looks so serious (which looks so odd coming from a puppy!)

·
Registered
127 Posts

Snoopy does too! She freezes, tail up. Then slowly creeps forward. If her prey moves, she freezes again. When she thinks she is close enough, she leans back on her haunches and then takes off. Kill count to date: On bird, one mole and a locust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I am LOVING these replies! I guess the beagle owners here at work don't have AWESOME beagles like we all do!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts

Carlo does when he comes upon a gopher hole at the dog park. It's funny to see him. He'll stand transfixed with one of his front paws up and cock his head to the side before he tries to go in for the kill. Then he'll try to dig up the hole. Benji, on the other hand, could care less. He's happy just to sniff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts