Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took Elvis over to a friends house that had a pool in the backyard...they have a springer spaniel that elvis was running around playing with, but stopped immediately when the spaniel jumped in the pool and started swimming around. I put Elvis on the shallow step to see how he would respond, but he seemed to not like it at all...Poor guy also fell in while chasing after the other dog, but I was right there to put him back on the ledge. He doggy-paddled fine, but seemed to not like the experience at all.

Do any of yall's beagles swim? If they didn't before have any of yall taught them how, or did they get used to it? He doesn't mind baths at all, but when he got in that pool he was pretty turned off, haha.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We have a pool in the back yard. This will be our 2nd summer to have it. It is an inground pool. Neither Sadie or Pooh Bear will step foot in it. Poor Pooh Bear was running all over the yard the first night it was finished and fell in. He looked panicked and hubbie fished him out. We have gently carried each one into the shallow end, but they panick and want right out. So we don't force them in.

If we walk down the road to this little pond with ducks in it, they will wade into it. But don't like the swimming pool one bit.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have no idea. I would love to see how Chloe reacts to still water. She never minded baths, so I know she is not afraid of water... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

You guys know where there is a pool for dogs around her in NYC?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
We have a pool, and Maggie's fallen in several times, but she definitely doesn't like it. We're always right there to scoop her out, but she makes no attempt to swim or frollick around before we rescue her.

My previous beagle Molly hated the water too.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has never been in a pool, but we have gone to the dog beach. She was afraid of the "waves" (it's the Gulf of Mexico, so there really aren't any real waves) that were breaking at the shore line. Once she got past those she was OK. She liked walking in the water with Mike but she didn't like being in too deep where she couldn't reach bottom.

Eleanor, I remember seeing something on Animal Planet one time about this lady in NYC who ran a yoga studio. She did classes with humans and their dogs together. Anyway, it showed her taking her dog to a pool somewhere, a dog club of some sort. They did hydro therapy there but you could also bring your dog for a swim.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke hasn't been in a pool, but he did jump in the spa one day when the cover was off because Dave was draining it. He got back out....really fast! At the river, he has no desire to even touch his foot in the water.

·
Registered
102 Posts
At first Zoey wanted nothing to do with water but after seeing her big sis a collie/lab mix who loves to swim jump into a pool in a stream behind the house she gave it a go. She did a little bit of wading but no actual swimming. Now she likes to just get knee deep at every stream we cross.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Beaglina loves running through the water and swimming in the river and lakes. The first time we went to the lake she was running around and fell in and panicked and so I had to lift her out. After that I thought she should learn, so I used to throw a stick in and give her a treat when she brought it back, just throwing it a little further each time. It's great in summer as it means she can still get plenty of exercise without us both melting!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first two beagles loved swimming in the lake and Spotty wrecked our garden pond. So far Susi and Snoopy have only waded on the edge of the lake and drunk from our pond!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I first got Toby, we lived on acreage and our neighbors had labs and two ponds. Toby loved playing with them, but when they would go after something in the pond he would stop. He would get so frustrated watching them swim out in the water, so one day he went in after them. He looked hilarious, like dog paddling was a struggle. He splashed around looking like he could barely keep his head up. Well, he is stubborn (duh!) and kept watching those labs and kept trying. Before I knew it, he was swimming just like a lab. He was slower since he didn't have those long legs, but his technique was the same! He loved it!

Now that we live on the coast, he loves playing in the surf, but doesn't ever go out to where he can't reach the bottom. He likes to "play" with the waves. He goes after them and then thinks they are coming after him!

He has never cared for swimming pools. I think they are more intimitading because they are hard for them to get out of.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry enjoys playing in rivers and streams, but he's never been in a pool or out in the middle of the river or any place that requires actual swimming. I adopted him last September, after I had done most of my summer camping, boating, etc. He's mostly black, so I figure at some point he'll figure out the water is refreshing. I also can't imagine him staying calm on a boat or shore while I'm in the water. I was born and raised in south Florida, so I love to swim.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maggie used to HATE to swim, anything with water and she was pissed. However, I took her to a creek where the water was 2 to 3 inches and walked around with her in it and now she loves water! I have even gotten her to swim in deep water and she didn't mind. My only suggestion would be to take baby steps and don't expect too much out of him!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bonnie and Rasha both jump in rivers and lakes to retrieve sticks. Willow normally stands in wait at the waters edge and mugs them when the come out of the water, Willow does swim sometimes. She has gone for an unexpected swim after rolling in something unpleasent. We used to take Willow to Hydrotherepy after she had the pups to build her up again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.