Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always know when Arty is officially ready to call it a night. He finds a soft spot (usually on my bed or the couch) and paws at it a little bit, and then starts spinning round and round trying to find the perfect position. If there is a blanket he will start pawing at the blanket, pulling at it with his mouth and nudging it with his nose until it is just perfect. Then he will lick his paws for ten mins (or until i stop him) and go to sleep. Its funny because he only does this at night, when he's getting ready for a good night's sleep. During the day time he'll just collapse anywhere and sleep (he's a lazy dog).

I love watching him do this - its just so cute watching him nudge and pull at the blankets. one of these days im going to capture it on video and post it

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Our beags have their favourite places as well ...but Goober does
not get to sleep on my bed anymore because of his bladder release issue on long naps! But, for a short nap, he still gets to bunk with the Big Dawg!!! (He has nearly outlived Gorromino
my Cockateil that died @ 16 & a 1/2 years)!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: do your beagles have official sleep time ritua

All 4 of our dogs somehow know when it's 9:00 p.m., and want to go to bed then. They all go out for the final potty run, come in, get their treats, and go to bed.
Spook gets in his crate, and the other 3 get in their respective beds.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

Sometime around 9 Maggie always wants to go out. When she comes in she heads for my daughter's room. If no one follows to let her in she gets on the couch for a few minutes and does the outside thing again. It took me a while to figure out the going outside is telling us she wants to go to bed. She is just following the routine we started for her when she was a pup.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I think it's more a ritual for me than him. He falls asleep around 8:30, then around 10:30 I wake him up to out for a pee and a cookie. Then he comes in, settles down on the couch, he gives me kisses and I cover him with a blanket. Then I tell him Good night, sweet puppy dreams. And turn the light off. <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> can't go to bed without doing it

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Chloe sleeps basically where she finds the comfiest place. She likes blankets, cushions, in the winter she liked my coat. She has been sleeping much more in her crate.
I'm planning on buying her a big pillow-bed once my brother moves out and there is more room in the apartment.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyChloe sleeps basically where she finds the comfiest place. She likes blankets, cushions, in the winter she liked my coat. She has been sleeping much more in her crate.
Let's not forget, Chloe also likes to sleep ON TOP of her crate! LOL

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Our pups aren't ready for bed until they've had a treat. Last night, we brought them pretty early to the bedroom (currently the coldest room in the house since our AC is still broken and has been for most of this month; it's a long and irritating story), and they were completely wound up, jumping up and down off the bed, being a little batty, chewing on anything they could find. So I put them outside for about 20 minutes in case they needed to potty, then let them back in and gave them a treat. They came back inside and lay down pretty much immediately.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

We have the nightly, Potty, potty, night-night trip right before bed then Cassie heads to Brad's room and Duke comes with me.

Duke is the opposite of Arty, at nighttime, he pretty much plops down. There are times he'll start on the floor for a while (he will sleep next to his bed on the floor, but not on his bed) and then comes up to curl next to me. When it's daytime naps, that's when he does the scratching, spinning routine to find the perfect spot. It is funny to watch. Well, except when it's my couch he's scratching. That's not as funny.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Ours go out for a pee right before bed, then they have to get a treat before they will actually settle in for the night. Sometimes we forget the treat, and Booker has been known to stand waiting patiently in the kitchen for her treat for half an hour or more... eventually she knows we will notice that she isn't in bed and remember that there is unfinished treat business! Booker sleeps in her own bed and requires a blanket on it as well - she is usually quite adept at getting under the blanket all by herself but sometimes it just doesn't cooperate, so if I see that it is taking a while for her to get it just right I will go over and give her a helping hand (especially right now with her sore back). Popcorn usually settles in under the covers on our bed - first she tries to scratch right through from the top and we have to stop her and help her get under them... but some nights she decides to go into the other dog bed (whichever one Booker isn't in) and then stays there until morning when she will tickle me on my face to let her under the covers. Poor Moosie gets to sleep in whatever the girls decide they don't want... they definitely tell him what to do in that regard!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Bagel hasn't trained me well
so he settles in somewhere until I crawl in bed then gets comfy depending on two factors; how warm or cool it is and am I sleeping on my left or right side. His options are:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cool and Bob sleeping on his right side</span>, Bagel's head resting on Bob's Right arm and back to bob's chest under the covers.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cool and Bob sleeping on his Left Side</span>, Bagel's Back to my Back under the covers.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Warm and Bob sleeping on his right side</span>, Bagel's head resting on Bob's Right arm and paws facing bob's chest with Bagel outside any covers.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Warm and Bob sleeping on his left side</span>, Bagel outside the covers with a paw or something touching Bob's back.

Before actually retiring for the night, the Bagel sits on the corner of the bed, waits for me to settle and offer up the sacrificial body part <span style="font-style: italic">(My hand or arm otherwise he'll use my face)</span> and then give that part of my body 30/45 seconds of licks before he getting comfy for the night.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oh my gosh, these rituals are just so cute! What would we do without our little furkids? Sometimes I'll be studying for a final or something and not realize its so late and Arty will come up to me and whine to remind me its time for bed

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts

Molly sleeps on a dog bed in the living room with me until its time for me to go to bed. At that time I have to move all three dog beds to the kitchen so that my hubby doesn't have to do it at 4 am when he gets up. So I pick up Miss Molly and carry her sleeping butt into the kitchen where she stretches and makes cute faces. Then she follows me to the bedroom and takes her spot in her bed (Jake and Andy are older and are already asleep with hubby). I tuck her in with a stuffed animal and she goes right to sleep.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Sally does the same thing. During the day, she never cleans her paws. But, at night when she's bunking down for a long nights sleep, she cleans her paws for a good 10 minutes before falling asleep. You can't go to bed with dirty foots!

They have their chicken wings at 9pm every night (if we are late, we know about it!) then they come back in and go to sleep on the lounge till I get up to go to bed, normally around 10-10:30. I get up, ask if they want their jarmies on, they get up and run over to me. They lift their paws to put them into the arm holes, I do them up, they shake, then we go outside for widdles. Then we come back in, go down to daddy's room (andrew's computer room) and he does their trick routine. Then we say into bed and they run back down the hallway and into their beds and sit there and wait for me to give them a few more treats, then they go to bed.

They know their routine and it was fascinating watching them trying to teach the fosters the routine.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Edited because i forgot the potty routine. Potties time!! To the patio door, out for piddles, then back in (and paw wiped if its wet out). Then its down the hall.

Luna sleeps on a pile of blankets on top of storage crates at the end of my bed. but I have taught her she has to be invited - part of that nothing is freementality I learned early in beagle ownership.

Lemon sleeps next to me - also only invited - and she has to rearrange the old towel just to her liking - usually involves many turns and pawing and grabbing with her teeth if its about to fall off the side of the bed - and eventually lays down - then its paw lick time until I stop her or she gives up. She also prefers to be touching me somehow - either with paws on my back, or wudged up against me - especially if its cold.

In the summer, though, she sleeps on the floor near the fan - she'll come up but half way through the night she gets too warm and climbs over me to get back to the floor, waking me up.

They seem to be driven by the level of light - winter time they are asleep in doggie beds or doggie permissible furniture as soon as it gets dark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts