Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly started to sleep with us in bed early October when my husband lost his job. She is a great cuddler at night, and I enjoy having her with me, but the bed is getting to small. We have a Queensize bed, and the 3 of us don't really fit anymore. I feel bad, but last night I woke up at least 4 times getting kicked by Molly or almost falling out because she lays sideways.
For the past 2 weeks I'm looking at dogbeds, thinking she will only eat it up, and chew every corner (that's why I now look at round pillows). But do you think she will start sleeping on her pillow on the floor, or cry and jump on the bed? I really love having her in the bed, specially since she is in her crate for so many hours during the bed, that the night cuddle is our cuddle time together.
So, do you think it will work and Molly will sleep in her/a bed, or will continue sleeping with my husband and me?!?!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Starla sleeps with us too. She started out on the floor at the foot of the bed in an old comforter, and once she got big enough to get on the bed, she started climbing in bed with us. Most of the time she burrows under the sheets and sleeps at our feet, but occasionally, say during a noisy thunderstorm, she will sleep between us. The reason I tell you this is because we are thinking of doing the same thing. Some friends of ours had the same issue with their dog and they finally bought him an uber plush bed. They said from the first night on he had absolutely NO interest in climbing in their bed anymore, now that he had this soft comfy space all to himself. I'm not sure that experience is the same with every dog, but it's worth a try. If you are afraid that Molly will just tear up the bed (dog beds can be rather expensive), I noticed over Christmas that Wal-Mart has some rather nice, but inexpensive ones (@ 20 bucks).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I found nice beds at Costco for around the same price, and I would love to buy it for her, but like I said I just don't know if she would stay in it. She used to sleep in her crate until October, and when she is loose in the bedroom she likes to go under the bed and start eating the wood. She sleeps really between us. Last week I felt something in my face, but was to tired to open my eyes, and start blowing at it, thinking it was my husbands hand. When it didn't move, I bit it (like I said, middle of the night and really tired), it was Mollys paw. She didn't wake up, and I just turned around, but we have more and more situation where I wake up, because she is trying to get under the blanket again, and then when she is snoring in my ear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Willie sleeps pretty much on our feet...I was anti the dog in bed with us initially, but I'm okay with it if he stays at the foot of the bed, which he does. He is a little bit of a bedhog, but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I can surely relate to this topic!
All three sleep with us! I have to admit I do like it, SOMETIMES! For some reason they all wind up on my side of the bed and I am the one that wakes up in all different positions with one beagle near my head (sometimes on it), another beagle up against my back or stomach, and one more near or on or between my feet!
And for some reason, they turn into immovable 200lb dogs in the middle of the night!
I have tried to get them to sleep elsewhere (ie on a dog bed or even the couch). Gino will sometimes sleep in the other room, on his own. I don't think he likes the crowd either. Cole will if we enforce it, but Roscoe will cry all night if he is not in bed with us (our fault b/c we started that when he was a wee pup).
I was ALMOST successful at getting them off our bed but the hubby decided otherwise, and if we are both not on the same page, guess who wins, yep :happydance:

·
Registered
959 Posts
BED, my specialty. My dh is a large man...he takes up 1/3 of the bed. Cobi and Casie take up two third, and NEVER sleep horizontally with the bed...I have been regulated to the edge of the other side of the bed, or the couch on several occassions. AND try to move Cobi, it isn't going to happen, he is one solid mass of dog when he sleeps. Casie is a kicker, but can make himself up into a small ball when he sleeps, and then stretches about the time I think I have more room. AND now that it's cold, they love to sleep under the covers....sooooo

I don't know if it would work. You can try it, and if it doesn't you have doggie pillows for elsewhere in the house. I'd move them and make room for the two of you....they'll learn where they can sleep and where they have to make room for you, eventually....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we bought a bed today, and with 2 treats and the sign for down, we showed her, that she can lay down on that round pillow. 5 minutes later we left the room, and left her with her bones and the bed alone. 15 minutes later and not hearing anything I walked back into the livingroom, and she was laying on the pillow all nice and cute (see picture). Lets hope she will sleep on it tonight when it will be moved into the bedroom, and stay next to the bed, and we won't lift her up into bed. :hyper:

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rocky very rarely sleeps on the bed with us, he usually goes to his crate and we just leave the door open.

Daisy used to ALWAYS sleep with us. She's pretty good about sleeping on the bottom part of the bed all curled up, so it wasn't too bad. Then one day out of the blue she jumped on the bed to go to sleep and peed! She's housebroken and wasn't sick, but we never figured out why she did it. Anyway, after that we decided it was time for her to have her own bed to sleep in. The next few nights whenever she would jump on the bed, we'd simply pick her up and put her in her own bed. It only took a few nights before she finally settled in. She now LOVES her bed and I'll often find her in there, especially if I'm putting clothes away in the closet or taking a shower/getting ready to go somewhere.

Every now and then she'll sleep with us still (we figured the accident was probably a fluke), but she really does like her bed. And Rocky loves his crate, it's got a huge comforter in it. :)

If you stick with encouraging, positive experiences, I bet she'll take to her bed in no time. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My beagle, Priscilla, sleeps with my girlfriend and I. Usually, she just stays at the bottom, burrows herself in, and keeps my feet warm, so it is no big deal. Ocassionally though, she ends up between us. It's no big deal though as she usually just stays at the bottom. Just sucks when she lays next to me and farts all the time.....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Biene - Glad she likes the bed! She looks very cute and comfortable in it!
I hope it worked! I think we are going to try again to get the dogs on their own beds, if I can only get the hubby to cooperate!!! :confused:

Kamicowzi - This made me laugh b/c there have been many times I was awoken to a not so pleasant odor only to find a beagle butt up near my face!!! :scary:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Willie only recently started using the bed we got for him when we adopted him...after spurning it for four months. He only chills on it as a place to relax during the day when we're all home, though. At night, he sleeps at the foot of our bed, which is fine.

I'm not sure what made him suddenly start liking his little cushion, though. He totally ignored it until a couple of days ago.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts