Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
For anyone who runs with their beagle - how did you train for it? My pup is only 7 months now, so we don't do distance, but usually she likes to run a bit on our walks (especially when we are approaching the dog park). When we have run/jogged, she often stops very suddenly for a smell. Is there any way to get her to not do that? I would love to get her to do at least 3 miles. I can't imagine her doing 6-10 like some people here say. She is usually pretty tired when we get home from a 3 mile walk but I guess that could change as she gets older!
I built up to running with my beagle slowly, making sure we had a good 'walking relationship' first :giggle: She tends to get sidetracked by scents less if we are running but it may help to carry a some irresistable treats with you, like hot dog or chicken pieces. If/when your beag gets sidetracked use verbal cue and closed hand with treat in front of his/her nose. Then when distraction is passed, open hand to give treat. It's a little awkward so knowing that the first few runs will be 'practice' makes it less frustrating. Also I use a prong collar on Hailee because she has alot of excess skin around her neck (she's part basset) so a gentle correction with a regular collar does nothing for her. I found harnesses encouraged her to pull more, so a quick tug witht he prong collar on and she's right back by my side. I def make time at the end of the run for her to sniff around (her reward, my cool down) Ultimately I think she could run for miles more than I ever could ;)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Just like with you they have to condition there way up to it. I would also ask advice of the vet. I know a gorwing large breed dog can not be excersized like that right off the bat becuase their bones are still growing and can be damanged. Whiel alot of excerise is advise and I bet eventally you can run that distance, getting there is the question I would check with your vet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a puppy I did sprint running on grass (mostly after back-yard rabbits/squirrels, etc), but no distance. My vet told me to keep my dog off the pavement (even for walks) until fully developed to avoid the problems many have mentioned on this thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a puppy I did sprint running on grass (mostly after back-yard rabbits/squirrels, etc), but no distance. My vet told me to keep my dog off the pavement (even for walks) until fully developed to avoid the problems many have mentioned on this thread.
No vet has told me that walking on cement is bad, but I guess that's bc I live in NYC and they could not expect us to walk on anything else...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sonic runs with me all the time, we started with smaller distances and worked upwards.

Currently we do 4 runs a week, 3 of them are around 2-3 miles and one longer one, around 8 miles. We run at around 6-7mph and he is very happy doing it with me. He doesn't stop to sniff anymore as from a young age, we got him a non pull harness and if he tried to stop, I would just give him a little pull and he would catch up straight away.

For him, if he is on the harness, we are running and that means no stopping, if he is on the lead, he is free to do as he pleases.

Whats very strange is he never goes to the toilet anywhere other than in our back garden, which has worked out quite well as we dont have to stop our runs for anything.

He is my little running buddy and people we pass always smile when they see his ears flapping about in the wind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We ride bike and Charlie will run beside us for 2-3 miles. His top speed is 20mph! He can maintain that for 1/2 mile or so!

·
Registered
58 Posts
"He is my little running buddy and people we pass always smile when they see his ears flapping about in the wind"

That is so cute!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a very old post but I’m just letting others know... if they are conditioned into it slowly beagles can run alarming far distances. I have two and have ran them as far as 17 miles in about 3 1/2 hours. After something like this I give them multiple days off to recoup of course but 6-7 miles hardly tires mine out for the day anymore and has became nearly a daily thing!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I agree. I've been out of the habit of running really long stuff with Xerxes (trying to get back to it) but he eats up any distance I throw at him. My first dog was a GSD and his longest run was 40k, Xerxes'll have no problem with that when we get there.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts