Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice? I have a 6 1/2 month male beagle and I'm trying to condition him and myself to run 6 miles 3-5 times/week. We walked 5 miles today (about 55 F) and sprinted at times and he seemed like he could handle it, though he was panting quite a bit and his mouth was foaming a little bit. He was pretty pooped after wards. What's the max temperature they can handle at this distance?

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
6 1/2 mile

I read some where that you dont want to walk them to much at that age. Short walks of a mile might be better at that age only because there joints are still developing. To much pounding on there joints. I only read this i dont know how true this is . But i can tell you my Bandit did not walk far till about 10 months At 13 months he now loves to go. If your not sure check with your vet.......

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with bandit09. You DEFINITELY need to consult your vet before running such long distances with him while he is so young. I am a runner myself and got beagles to be running companions. My vet told me to hold off on the long distances until they were adults. It's worth checking out. You don't want to cause long term damage to his joints/muscles/bones.

Temp wise...I think it just depends on what the dog is use to and the humidity. I would not got on a strenuous walk above 80 degrees. It's also very important in the summer to make sure that if you walk the dog during the day that the pavement is not too hot. I have heard of many dogs getting terrible burns on their paws because of owners walking them on too hot of pavement.

I hope this advice helps. Just let your boy grow up a bit and he will be a fabulous running buddy. My girls are great runners now!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just remember, when a dogs tongue starts panting upwards, he/she is on the verge of heat exhaustion, and the pads of his feet need to be placed in water asap. Shorts spurts of water as well. He is too young to be walking/running this many miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,243 Posts
I wish I could run six miles!!!! I think that distance is a bit far for a young beagle. Is he getting a few breaks and some water?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wish I could run six miles!!!! I think that distance is a bit far for a young beagle. Is he getting a few breaks and some water?
I think I'll just keep it under 2 miles(max), walking only, till he's 18 months. At that time, I will make sure he gets plenty of breaks and water.

He sure loves to walk and run though and has the energy for it. After going 5 miles, the other day, he took a nap for about an hour and then he ran around the place in circles.

I'll probably call the vet and ask about this. Was hoping both of us could do a good deal of running this Spring and Summer, but I don't want to hurt his bones and joints.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I started distance walking with Murphy when he was about 6-7 months old (4-6 miles). I usually don't take him when I run, but I always take him when I walk. By the time he was a year old we were doing 10 mile walks on the weekends, and (weather permitting) we try to walk 4 miles each day.

I bring water when it's hot or we're planning to do more than 4 miles, otherwise he gets water when we return home or to the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started distance walking with Murphy when he was about 6-7 months old (4-6 miles). I usually don't take him when I run, but I always take him when I walk. By the time he was a year old we were doing 10 mile walks on the weekends, and (weather permitting) we try to walk 4 miles each day.

I bring water when it's hot or we're planning to do more than 4 miles, otherwise he gets water when we return home or to the car.

How old is Murphy now? Any joint problems? I'd like to take Buddy 4-6 miles at least a couple times a week. I could live with just walking him the whole way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
our beags get between 4 to 8 miles a day, every day, at all times of the year. obviously if its hot, then we do it in the morning and evening and avoid mid day. Meg is younger and a lot fitter than ollie and as we have had her from a pup, she is used to the mileage and also she is used to running next to the bike if we cycle her ( on a lead ). ollie is a rescue and older and wasnt used to the amount of miles we cover every day so we had to build him up to it. but as the others say, when they are young and still growing, you shouldnt do too much with them. i expect you are eager to get out and about with them, but build it up gently for their sake. meggie has cycled 9 miles with Simon before and comes home, not panting and kind of looks at us as if to say " ok what are we doing now then" ?? . we have also walked her for about 10 miles in 1 day and she loves it, im sure she could go all day !! but ollie, although plods along as well, he loves to get home and sleep for england.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tried to jog with my Beagle once..notice I said once :smirk: It took me 45 minutes to go about a mile. Mine likes to sniff too much and he likes a slower pace. It is a good idea to exercise a Beagle since they tend to plump up easily.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I tried to jog with my Beagle once..notice I said once :smirk: It took me 45 minutes to go about a mile. Mine likes to sniff too much and he likes a slower pace. It is a good idea to exercise a Beagle since they tend to plump up easily.
Sounds very similar to my attempt, it was not fun when we were going at a decent pace and then a sudden stop!! :shocked:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sounds very similar to my attempt, it was not fun when we were going at a decent pace and then a sudden stop!! :shocked:
I tried that with my bike and Tucker. He ran about 30 yards then stopped cold. I almost flipped off the bike. Never tried again.

When we run, it usually goes well until a scent becomes more enticing than running. Needless to say, running doesn't happen much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I realize this thread is older but I couldn't resist. I found it very interesting. I've walked my dog up to 6 miles with me on a bike and today we did 10.5 miles. I don't know who was more tired, me or the dog! It was great though, we did it in just under 3 hours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For anyone who runs with their beagle - how did you train for it? My pup is only 7 months now, so we don't do distance, but usually she likes to run a bit on our walks (especially when we are approaching the dog park). When we have run/jogged, she often stops very suddenly for a smell. Is there any way to get her to not do that? I would love to get her to do at least 3 miles. I can't imagine her doing 6-10 like some people here say. She is usually pretty tired when we get home from a 3 mile walk but I guess that could change as she gets older!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I,too, had read that a dog should not be walked or run for very long periods until their bodies are fully grown, because of possible damage. Of course the age at which a dog is fully grown varies according to the breed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
HOWEVER, I run my Beagle 10 miles each am and 3.5 miles each pm! We do this after a day of organic gardening, volunteering for meals on wheels, yoga and zoomba classes, AND taking sky diving lessons twice a week. Unfortunately, I had to drop out of law school temporarily. Call me a wimp, but there just wasn't enough hours in the day! But Beagles come first!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dillon, the Beagle here: don't believe a WORD she says! She WALKS me for an hour in the am and IF I'm lucky another 30 minutes in the evening! She's 62 years old and in bad shape! She doesn't even know how to copy and paste!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts