Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nail clipping continues to be a battle.My husband holds Maggie and I clip. I thought things were going a little better but last time she bit me. She didn't break the skin but she reached down and clamped her teeth on the skin behind my knuckles and wouldn't release. The entire back of my hand turned black from the bruise. I don't know whether to try taking her to a vet or groomer or as has been suggested to me get a muzzle and do it at home. Do your dogs do better with a groomer? I am thinking Maggie might be even more upset and harder for a stranger to work with?

·
Registered
112 Posts
We've never had a problem with molly; her dad usually does it because I don't like the type of clippers we have, it's hard to judge where to clip - but she does fine with him, and I hold her; her first trip to the groomer last month was fine, but she did have them trimed at the vet last week and for the first time she whined a little and tried to pull away, she'd never done that before.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I haven't tried the grommer yet either because last time I attempted to cut Shiloh's nail before I even touched him the neighborhood probably thought I was attempting to amputate his leg ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I was araid I was going to give him a heart attack so never tried again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I did at first, when Chloe couldn't go outside because of not completing her shots... but now it seems like her nails are being filed by the asphalt..... hope it will go on like this since she doesn't exactly like it.... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Hooper's Mom:
The cat on the other hand is another story LOL !
You clip your cat's nails!?! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I'd be torn to shreds if I tried clipping Miss Priss' nails. Li'l Girl, on the other hand is easy. :angel:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I take both girls to a groomer. Hunter yowls when she even sees the clippers at home and we were afraid the neighbors would think we were torturing her. This started from day 1 when she was 7 weeks old. When I take her to the groomer it is clip done no problem. go figure. So we did the same with Casey. That way they go together. I don't need to take them often though. maybe every 3 to 4 months.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Toby starts to run if I even open the cabinet the clippers are in! The only way I get clipping done is to have my son hold the dogs. For some reason this is acceptable to them although they still don't like it. I did get the clippers with the guard so that I never clip too close. I would keep trying different methods to hopefully find one that is the lessor of evils for your beagle babe! Julie

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This subject brings to mind a poem that I posted some time ago, but here it is again for new members.
-------------------------------------------------
"Doggy Toes Clippy Thing"
Author Unknown

Upstairs in momma's secret drawer
she keeps a monster thing of horror,
they bite and try to eat our toes,
why they do that no one knows!

We bark, fuss, wiggle, and squirm,
but our dad and momma holds us firm.
This thing of horror makes a noise,
although it's squeaky, it's not like toys.

It's a squeaky, snippy, clippy thing,
it has sharp teeth and a big strong spring.
Sometimes after it eats our feet,
we get something good to eat.

But one day when no one else is home,
and we are left here all alone,
we'll sneak it out and none will know,
we sent it where the odd socks go!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I do Jersey's at home usually. My vet does it as part of an office visit, so if I know I have an appointment coming up, I'll wait. She doesn't like it but she'll tolerate it.

Amber on the other hand would cry before I even started. She'd start yelping as soon as she saw the clippers come out. I took her to a groomer. There was a place close by that would do them for $3. It wasn't worth the hassel for that little bit of money. Even with a tip it was only $5.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Another little problem I forgot to mention. Is on Shiloh's left paw 3 of his nails are normal color but 2 are Jet black ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
When Miss Shiloh was a baby I was able to trim her nails when she was asleep. But since then--forget it!! When she goes to the vet I always have them trim her nails, and then it takes 2 people--the vet and a tech. Even at that, last time she jerked her foot at the wrong time and he nicked her. So I've never taken her to a groomer to have it done. I figure if the vet, who she's known all her life, has that much trouble, a groomer would have even more!! :eyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Sandyj:
Quote:Originally posted by Hooper's Mom:
The cat on the other hand is another story LOL !
You clip your cat's nails!?! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I'd be torn to shreds if I tried clipping Miss Priss' nails. Li'l Girl, on the other hand is easy. :angel:
HA HA No we bring Fizzle to the vet to get her toes done ! We have tried and its just not worth it. AND then she gets all mad at you and the next day shes still mad !!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bailey used to really put up a fuss when I tried do clip his nails. I started handling his paws on a daily basis so that he got used to my messing with them. Now he is much better when I need to clip his nails. For some strange reason, he is totally relaxed if put him on my bed (with a towel) to do his nails.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Groomers for us. While Buster is no problem at all, Blaze runs the instant she sees the clippers in my hands and Boomer HATES to have his feet touched, no matter how much I try to desensitize him at home. Last time I took him to PetSmart we had a crowd at the grooming windows because he made so much noise that it sounded like they were beating him. I have since found a groomer in my area that is very patient with them. It costs a little more but it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Jassy,
Have you tried using a file ?
My Beagles are 3 and 3 1/2 yrs and i recently had to do one of mine for the first time,
The clippers he was having none of, so i used a foot file which is that bit larger and sturdier than a nail file,
He came up on my lap for a cuddle and i had the file to hand so did it then,I let him have a sniff of it first,gave him a treat and he was quite happy for me to do it,He was just inqisitive about it all,It didn't take that long either and i gave him a treat here and there and told him he was a good boy,He liked the smell of the file and kept licking it ! lol !
It worked well for me,might be worth a try,
I try to give mine equal walking on pavements/paths as i do grass/fields, i think it helps to keep their nails down a bit.
Good luck,

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't tried a file but I am willing to try anything. We do walk on pavement about 3 times a week but that doesn't seem to be enough. I will pick up a file next week and see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
we have only had to trim homer's nails once so far but not so bad-did it right after his bath while he was still wrapped up in a towel real snug and hubby dug out his paws while i held him.i think he was too worn out from fighting in the tub to fight with the clippers :rotflmao:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I use to clip Abby's nails myself but now she fights me too much so I have her vet do it, and they do it without any sort of struggle from her...figures! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
291 Posts
I do them myself, but we can only get a few nails clipped at a time. I can do more if someone is distracting him with treats. It used to be terrible trying to use the scissors style clippers, but the guillotine style is much quicker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts