Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many here brush their beagle's teeth. I haven't started brushing Maggie's yet, as her permanent teeth are just now starting to come in, but I know I need to start soon.

I used to brush Molly's teeth once a week, but at three years of age she was already starting to form a little plaque on her back molars, so once a week was probably not enough.

For those of you that do brush, how often are you brushing?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I've tried, but those puppy teeth hurt! I need to start up now that some of her permanent ones are in. She doesn't like it though.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I do brush Maggie's teeth. I started when she was really little and used a finger brush. She's fine with me doing it now. I do it about once a week but I know it should be more often.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have been brushing Chloe's teeth since she was a young pup. I think it's important to get the puppy used to the brush being in their mouth. The seroius actual brushing started when she started growing her permanent teeth. I use a poultry flavored paste!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Most here know that I clean teeth for a living (human ones though) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

Since I preach brushing on a daily basis, I would feel guilty if I didn't brush Cal and Maggie also. I try for 2 times per week with a finger brush. (For those who don't know, a rubber finger brush can be purchased in the baby area of the toothbrush section of your drugstore)

Calvin is a mixed breed dog who has 'gingivael hyperplasia' (big words for overgrown gums). My vet told me some breeds, especially boxers, have super fast growing gums which have to be trimmed every couple of years. Calvin had his first surgery in January '08. I've been trying to brush him every day since then to keep his gums from growing so fast. Poor baby.

Maggie is normal. She is three years old and just had her first cleaning in January. There wasn't much tarter, but since she had to be anesthetized for her anal gland surgery, I requested a cleaning also.

Gum disease is the main dental problem in dogs (decay is rare), and chronic gum infection can increase problems with internal organs also; especially the heart. Brushing teeth can help prevent more serious internal problems (in humans too!!)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not often enough, but I do try to brush Toby's and plan to start brushing Lucky's.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I do brush my pack's teeth. I was brushing every other day, but have been lax lately and have only gotten it done a couple of times a week. Note to self: get back on schedule! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/evilgrin.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I don't and have been feeling bad about it lately. I have a friend whose vet told her that even if you get the doggie toothpaste in their mouths, it helps. Because it has enzymes in it. I have been trying to put some doggie toothpaste on a milk bone every night at bedtime. I looked at Poohs teeth recently and his don't look so good. I went to PetSmart today and purchased more doggie toothpaste and toothbrush. Anyone every hear of this and know if it is ok to use? made by Petkin, Liquid Oral Care. Supposed to clean teath and freshen breath. You put a capful of it in their water bowl. I've bought some, but am now not so sure if it is safe.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Originally Posted By: Mom of 2 Beagles Anyone every hear of this and know if it is ok to use? made by Petkin, Liquid Oral Care.
Most enzymatic products are safe. It is basically a mouthwash that kills bacteria (it's also used in humans with gum disease as a prescription product called perio-med)

The toothbrush is still the first line of defense because it mechanically removes sticky plaque, the disease causing film. The mouthwash simply helps with inflammation of the gums caused from the plaque.

·
Registered
443 Posts
What Deb is so very true-

Quote:Gum disease is the main dental problem in dogs (decay is rare), and chronic gum infection can increase problems with internal organs also; especially the heart. Brushing teeth can help prevent more serious internal problems (in humans too!!)
My little Oreo (YorkiPoo) had terrible gum disease-gingivitis and ended up loosing 8 teeth in his first dental cleaning at age 13. The vet did additional blood work to make sure the infection had not damaged vital internal organs - luckily it had not, yet but if I had waited much longer, it could have /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gifI had never brushed Oreo's teeth /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif and now he paid for it that way plus 2 more dental cleanings before he crossed the Bridge at age 16 (not from his dental disease).

Since I take Shiloh visiting, he is supposed to have his teeth brushed and ears cleaned before each visit so that gets done at least 1 time a week, sometimes more often. However, how good I get it done is questionable. I probably should get his teeth cleaned by the vet. When I am getting Shiloh ready for a visit, Shasta is right there wanting to see what is going on. Also, since she did have a very brief show career as a pup, she is a little use to is however I still have not established a regular routine with Shasta but I do NEED to. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/alien1.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts
I brush Maggie's teeth about every 2 to 3 weeks. I should do it more though because her breath is starting to stink and I know from previous dogs that teeth problems are very painful and unpleasant for everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
OK, I brushed both Sadie and Pooh's teeth this morning. I have some enzyme doggie toothpaste that is supposed to taste like beef. I was real easy and careful. Pooh let me brush his pretty good. Sadie didn't like it one bit. They both have some brown area's at the top of the teeth where it meets the gum. Is that bad?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I have never cleaned any of our dogs teeth. Our last beagle, Spotty had beautiful teeth up until the day she died. The reason was she ate several carrots a day all her life and our vet was convinced this stopped trouble.
Our present two came to us aged 6 we couldnt start cleaning their teeth. But since Snoopy has started eating apples and carrots his teeth are a lot better. Any trouble we shall leave to the vets, it would be too stressful for them if we started doing it now, they are 8 years old.
Very interesting to read about perio-med. I shall have to start using it, my gums flare up regularly!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like the brown areas might be the beginning of some plaque/tartar buildup. If it's close to the gum area, I'd certainly have the vet check it out next time you go in. They might need to have their teeth professionally cleaned.

I'm going out this afternoon to buy Maggie a toothbrush so I can start brushing her teeth. I bought a peanut butter flavored toothpaste for my previous beagle Molly, and she loved it, so I think I'll try that one again. I've always used the Petkin Liquid Oral Care on both my cats and my dogs, and it definitely helps with their breath.

·
Registered
147 Posts
we never have and probably won't.homer gets hard food and treats most of the time and had tons of ribs bones to chew on along with lots of sticks outside.he is always chewing on something!he teeth look great and his breath is fine.my dad never brushed any of our dogs teeth growing up and they had no problems

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was just thinking of this today. I guess I will start.

Do you have to buy a dog paste or can you use something elase?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Marley's MommyDo you have to buy a dog paste or can you use something elase?
I use a doggy paste. I know human paste is not good for dogs, so I got a poultry one for Chloe. I think that even just rubbing the teeth with a brush is good. I use the paste because she likes the taste and it makes it easier...

·
Registered
667 Posts
I totally recommend you brush teeth...this is why, although dental bones and chews are good, and will prolong the inevitable, doing it once a week will save you A LOT of money in the long run..

First, you want there teeth to be healthy...ever watch any of the animal rescue programs? They have to remove teeth all the time of dogs whose owners never brushed them

Second, IT HURTS to have gum disease...it wont happen right away as a puppy, but you want them to become used to it...so you HAVE to do it often...we both need to hold Marbles down, we had to do that with Snoopy too, but now Snoopy, who still doesnt like it, will now let us do it.

Third, When we got Snoops at 1.5 yrs old they told us to brush his teeth, had some tarter, ect....so we gave him all the dental chews, ect...but we were lazy, until he started having bad breath a year later...then we started brushing his teeth, and he now went for his first teeth cleaning a month ago...his teeth were horrible..wish we would have started cleaning earlier we woud have saved like $300 dollars, and the risk of him being put under general anesthesia....now we brush once every 1-2 weeks.

They will get used to it..we still both have to hold Marbles down, but he will get over it....it is for his health and worth it.

Manda

1 - 20 of 20 Posts