Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
here is another potential new pack member
...there was a shelter not too far from our house so we went and looked at a little girl named Casie. She was very sweet and she may be a good fit as well. Always nice to have options just incase something doesn't work out. Think we are going to see some more beagles later but the plan is tentatively to take our pair down there to see how they get along and maybe bring Casie home to see how she does here before we make a final decision

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Now you know why I stay as far away from shelters as possible! I'm having enough problems now taking care of the 9-pack, and I know that if I saw one like either of those adorable kiddies, I'd be tempted to add more to the pack and I'm too old.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Good thing there are no beagles at our local shelter or lord knows how many we'd have! As it is, we had to travel to LA to find our little Violet at their shelter.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Have I mentioned yet how I am finding four much easier than three?! I can walk two at a time - which is MUCH more enjoyable and significantly less traumatic than the tangled web of leashes and beagles all going in different directions than the three-at-a-time walks had become... and the other two, if left behind, don't feel that they are being left out because they still have company. And I am getting more exercise to boot! So maybe both?!?!?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like Cassie! She reminds me of our Buster. As to three, just as easy as two. There is always somebody to play with. It's a little more expensive but a lot more fun!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We're taking Daisy and Rocky to Meet KC on Thursday. McGruff (the first one) is now up for adoption since his family didn't claim him. We'll probably take Daisy and Rocky to meet him before we make a final decision. I wish I could take them all!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
If you have the heart to adopt and the bank account to afford it, I'd say......What are you waiting for??
He he

(I just took two dogs and two cats to the vet for an appointment.....then purchased more heartworm and flea meds.....it was salty)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well we brought home KC (the one with all the spots in the last set of pictures) on Thursday evening. We didn't adopt her but the group that was fostering her let us take her and basically see how she did with our two. I thought it would work out ok because KC was playful with other dogs and fairly submissive. Well... it did NOT work out. Our two just didn't like her one bit. Daisy was ok as long as KC didn't try to play with her. If she did, Daisy would freak out growling, etc. And Rocky, he didn't even want her to walk around him unless there were treats involved. Jason and I talked a while about it and decided that it wasn't a good fit. We probably could have made it work in the long run but I just didn't think that kind of stress was fair to KC or our two. Plus, Jason and I both work full time and we really don't have a lot of extra time to try and make it work with a dog our two can't stand. Anyway, I think our two are going to be going to some kind of doggie socialization class if I can find one!!
KC seemed just fine when we took her back to her foster home, I think she missed her buddies that actually wanted to play with her. lol

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You know, it is kind of funny how dogs can be. Mine are around other dogs all the time. Dogs of all sizes, colors, shapes, etc... I have never seen them have any real issues with any dog...until recently. We had a little female visit our stud (a constant thing around here) and this particular little gal was absolutely hated by Jasmine. Jas would go up and head butt her side all the time. It was weird. I had to keep them separated because I did not want to traumatize either one of them. To this day I have no idea why Jasmine acted like that. I would have thought it might have been a hormonal thing since Jasmine was pregnant, but there have been about 4 other females here while she was pregnant and they did not cause any problem for her. SO, my whole point to this story is maybe your two just didn't like this particular dog, but would do fine with a different one. Although I cannot imagine having 3 if I had to work outside of my home. My doggies need me as much as I need them even though they are all adult dogs now, potty trained (dog door), they have built in playmates, etc.. but they still want their people with them and I want them with me too. Most of the time.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We actually introduced them outside the home of the foster mom. KC hadn't been there that long so it was basically a neutral territory. It was hard to tell about interaction because they were all more interested in sniffing around. lol They all seemed ok together though and they even seemed ok when we first got back to our house. But shortly thereafter it started to slowly go south. There were no fights persay, but I think that's only because KC wasn't dominant. I think for right now we're going to just relax and take a break from looking so intently, especially since we're gone during the day.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.