Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at PetSmart picking up some more dog food and I saw a couple in there with a Beagle. I stopped and asked them how old she was and they told me 4 months. Daisy turned 3 months yesterday and their dog was easily 1.5 to 2 times her size. Do they really grow that fast?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think Daisy will double in size over the next month. She's probably just going to be a smaller Beagle than the dog you saw. They do grow quickly though. I imagine it's like having a child. One day you turn around and your baby is all grown up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Do you know if the litter Daisy is from had one of the parents that is 13" beagle? If so, there is a chance that Daisy will be a 13" beagle, thus, smaller than most beagles.
My Chloe is very small, she is 13" in height and weighs 15-16 lb. Other than her I only saw 3 more beagles her size, and the rest I encountered until today are 15" beagles and twice her weight and more....

Don't be alarmed, worse case scenario, all of her cuteness will be concentrated!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
it won't be all of a sudden, but yes, you just might look at her and say wow, where'd the puppy go????

Marley has been the same size since about 6 months. Other than filling out a little bit, he was about done then.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh yeah, and when I took Marley to petsmart for the first time the other day, this girl says "Oh mommy look, a beagle". Mommy said "yeah, but ours won't get that big". Their dog was not with them. I was cracking up inside!!!!! Marley is a pretty average size. I would like to see them again when their dog grows so that I can say, what do you have to say now?! AHAHAHAHAHAH.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
They DO grow up quickly. But perhaps Daisy is just going to be a small beagle. I have ten beagles - Romeo and Chloe are 3 weeks apart in age, but he has always been (since I first got them when they were LITTLE puppies), OVER twice her size. She is about 11" tall and weighs probably 15-17# - he is about 14.75" tall and probably weighs about 42-45#. Others range in size and weight. Lottie is my "short girl", probably about 10.5" - but she weighs over 20# (Miss Pig Pig). My Tanna is 12" and about 20# - Bella and Angel are probably about the same as their dad (Tanna), Joe is probably 13" and weighs about 22# - while brother Jack is about 14" and weighs probably 30# (he's a sturdy beagle). JoJo and Princess are probably a little over 13" and weigh in at about 25-30#. My daughter's beagle is probably a good 15" tall and probably weighs about 45#. He's a big boy - not fat - just big.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be interesting to see where she ends up. I believe her father was a 15" and her mother was a 13". So we'll see where she lands. I was just shocked to hear that the other Beagle was just a month older than Daisy since she was so much bigger.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When I went to NY to get my Jojo I had NO idea how big she'd be. Her mother is a very petite little girl, probably about 12 (if that) and weighing 20. Her dad is also a smaller beagle - (but not as small as her mom). However, her tiny little mom has a FULL BROTHER (not littermates but same parents) who is 18" tall and weighs about 53#. I had no idea if JoJo would be little like her mom (which I hoped), or a magnificent beagle like her uncle (he really IS a magnificent beagle - I love the big moose). JoJo is someplace "in between" - I specifically looked for a LITTLE male to "breed down" - and, for the most part, it has worked. Tanna does sire smaller beagles, even with a more "average sized" mom. In the same litter I've had mixtures of "tiny" and "not so tiny". JoJo and Tanna's first litter there were 4 pups - 1 large male, 1 small male, 1 large female, 1 small female. While Jack and Joe wound up not too different in height, they're BUILT differently with Jack being sturdy like his grandpa Joe - and Joe being more like his "grandma Spotty". I don't know about the little females, they were adopted. You just NEVER know what you'll get with beagles. Isn't it wonderful???

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When we started puppu school, Duke was 5 months and there was another beagle in class that was 4 months, and much larger than Duke. I thought his parents were wrong about his age, but as the 10 week course went on, we realized that Reagle was a 15" beagle. Duke is 10 months now and is 13" and weighs 22 pounds (well, he was 24 until the recent tummy incident). I don't think he'll get much bigger, maybe a few more pounds, but I'd imagine Reagle is 35 pounds by now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts