Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Oats, Organic Barley, Organic Peas, Organic Soybean Meal, Organic Sorghum, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Millet, Organic Rice, Chicken Fat (Naturally Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols [a Source of Vitamin E]), Organic Flax Seed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Organic Carrots, Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Parsley, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Rosemary Extract, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Lecithin, Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (Source of Iodine), Vitamin K Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Pseudolongum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product.

It sounds really good to me, but I gotta ask the folks on BW first. :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The first four ingredients usually give you a good idea as to what comprises the majority of the food. It's good that the first 2 listed are proteins, but it looks as if the grains balance out the proteins.

I'm more pro-protein vs. grains because protein is naturally healthier for the dog. Grains are also highly known allergens for canines. Especially, wheat and corn.

Just a heads up.

Otherwise, the ingredients actually don't look too bad. What food is it anyways?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, Newman's Own. It has 32.00% protein. And no corn or wheat which is good because wheat can cause upset stouuuumachs, right?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about this?

Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Potatoes, Natural Flavors, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat, Herring, Apples, Carrots, Cottage Cheese, Sunflower Oil, Alfalfa Sprouts, Egg, Garlic, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

It's Innova. It looks really good, too.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Innova is fantastic food. I tried a few different ones and my 3 dogs liked that best. The only problem my vet told me was, its high in calories. My older dog Mick (basset, terrier mix)was getting too heavy for his knees, so I switched to the Purina Veterinary brand OM. Well I got tired of running the 1/2 hour to the vet and put them all on Purina Pro Plan weight control. So far they are all doing great and look great. Also Mick so far has lost 5lbs.

I feel as long as they are eating and look healthy
thats half the battle...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The protein content in Newman's Own is good, but some of that protein is derived from grains- keep that in mind. Wheat & wheat gluten and corn are 2 of the highest grain possibilities for canine allergens. But, there are other glutinous grains to watch out for if you find that your dog is allergic/intolerant to wheat- they include barley and rye. Oatmeal is often cross-contaminated with the glutinous grains, so that's another one to watch for.

If you're really into holistic dog foods (which I was sucked down this evil, evil path about 4 months ago)... then Innova is the better choice, hands down.

I feed my cats Innova, but my dogs get Canidae at the moment. I just can't afford the Innova for the dogs right now. Once my lab pup is over a year old, I'll be able to switch both her and Socket over to Innova EVO. GRAIN FREE!! YAY! Right now, the protein & calcium/phosphorus ratios are not suitable for a puppy in that category.

Other great brands are: Eagle Pack Holistic, Wellness, Nature's Variety, Innova, Timberwolf, Canidae (the lowest cost one), Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Natural Balance (not the best, but it's one), Fromm's and others, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Innova does make a reduced fat option for their foods. Also, they do have all of the amounts on the backs of their bags that are for, weight loss or weight management.

There are plenty of holisitic foods that you can lose weight on. Many of them really are higher in calories because they have a higher percentage of real meat protein. Thus, you have to feed smaller quantities of food. It's important to compare the kcal per cup for foods when you are transitioning to a different brand to make sure that you don't overfeed the dog.

I'm not saying you did this, but it's something I just learned about recently.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know about the weight control innova, my problem was the few places that carry the Innova didn't have it... Plus I think everyone got spoiled and they really like the Innova green bag of small kibble.

Beleive it or not they are picky dogs.... I tried Canidea and CHicken Soup brand and they didn't like it...

I do like to switch the food every so often, because it does look like they get bored with it...

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
That sounds good & nutritious, but after the "Wheat-gluten" poisonings from China... I avoid ANYTHING from China!!! :pukey: I still to this day make my own "wet-food" to mix with approved dry-food using fish, chicken, beef, or wild game trimmings that I have harvested myself! Last night Goober & Homer enjoyed a small chicken & kibble dinner followed by a hind leg bone from a deer! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm a big Innova fan. Jersey is on the Adult Small Bites. I give her variety by adding some canned to the kibble. I use Merrick for this. I add about a tablespoon to the dry just to spice things up for her. If you're concerned about grains, then I suggest Innova EVO.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by pfr:
and put them all on Purina Pro Plan weight control. So far they are all doing great and look great. Also Mick so far has lost 5lbs.
Wow, congratulations to Mick--5 lbs is a lot in a dog!! When Shiloh had her check up this summer my vet suggested I put her on Purina Fit and Trim, as she wasn't losing any weight on Beneful Healthy Weight. But she hated it--I even tried mixing it with Beneful, and she would pick out the Beneful and leave the Fit and Trim!! :rolleyes: But I think I'll give the Purina Pro Plan weight control a try--maybe it tastes better that Fit and Trim?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts