Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have researched beagles before I bought one! After buying Charlee (5 month old beagle) I starting reading up on the breed. I've been reading that Beagles bark/bay/howl a lot and they will wander because of their nose. I have had the exact opposite experience so far with Charlee. Maybe it's because he is still young, but he rarely barks and he never leaves my side. I would like to hear other people's experiences with their own beagles. Thanks for your feedback!

Mel​

· Registered
542 Posts
When mine was a pup I could take him in the front yard and he'd stay near me. He'd even run straight from the fence to the front door with no problem. Then all of a sudden one day he took off and he's not been trustworthy off leash since. And I don't mean take off running through the yard, I mean through town! Maybe you'll have an exception, but most beagles need to be leashed.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
LOL @ through town!

Boomer does well at the dog park until there is a squirrle. then I do not exsit.

I wont let him off leash unless enclosed. And he still has a fetish about being on the other side of the fence. We can be walking and there is a fence and he will have to be on the other side. there is no ryhme or reason behind it.

He is not a barker unless there is a scent.

But yes, with purebreeds there are specific things you should except and when you get the exception be happy.

You can train and train and train and have reliable recall. But you also have to practice and train to be called off a scent.

· Registered
213 Posts
Ally's always been very quiet. She'll only bark or howl if we're playing and suddenly stop, or if I'm trying to take a toy from her (not really "take" the toy, but so I can throw it for her to chase). Other dogs bark at her all the time and she just keeps sniffing and completely ignores them.

Up until she was about 10 months old, she was fine off leash. She would only run maybe 30 feet away from us and then would turn around and come back. But then one day she decided to chase a bird and ran pretty far from us and ever since then she can't be trusted off leash. Today she got out of her enclosed area because she wanted a stick, and when I went to get her she ran around in circles for a while. After a couple minutes I got her and we came inside. I'm sure if a squirrel had run by, she would have been gone. If my fiance is outside with us, I don't mind her being off leash because it's easier to catch her if there's two of us, plus she's more likely to run back to him if he calls her name.

· Registered
32 Posts
What a sweet little puppy! Never in a million years would we let Murphy off leash. She would be gone. She has managed to get out of the yard a couple of times and I've managed to get her back showing her a cookie but never loose in a dog park. We have an indoor dog park that has just opened so we're going to try it out this weekend, hopefully it will be an ideal solution to being leashed all the time and will also give her some exercise in our minus 40 degree winters!

Murphy has never howled and baying has never crossed her mind but barking is another story. She can stand at the window and bark like a mad fool at nothing. We take her out of the room and distract her with something else but sometimes she is very determined there is something worth barking at and keeps going back.

Enjoy your puppy, lots of challenges with beagles but they are so worth the work!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your beagle stories! Beagles are so goofy. I'm very happy with my choice as I don't think I have laughed and smiled so much as of right now. This is my first experience raising a dog and I now can relate to other friends and family members that have pets and the movie Marley & Me.

· Registered
36 Posts
Alfie barks at anything, whether it be someone walking down 'his' street or a leaf blowing in the wind. And as for taking off.. I think if I let alfie off somewhere that wasn't enclosed he'd end up in china or something.. He'd run and just carry on and on :-|

· Registered
101 Posts
Do Beagles need to be leashed? In my opinion, absolutely not. They can be trained like any other dog. I agree that their noses get the better of them sometimes and it can take a while to get them back but that is normally where there are rabbits and deer about. Our two walk off leash, will sit before we cross the road and come back when we call them. They do look at you as if to say 'I will just finish what I am doing and then I will come'

I personally think two many people listen to what they hear about Beagles and just assume they can't be trusted. With the right training they can. Just last Monday, we took our two older Beagles and Five month old Denzel to the woods with five other Beagle owners, total 17 Beagles and all off leash. Not a problem at all. They ran together most of the time and waited when called.

· Registered
52 Posts
Like others have said... Merrilee was good off leash for a while until she was about six months old. After that she would run in the woods, find some rodent and you could forget about her listening. There has been a few times that she's escaped out of the house since and it was torture trying to get her back. Recall, what's that?! I do agree that beagles can be trained to stay by your side if you put in A LOT of effort and I would start now. I am personally to afraid to let her off the leash anyways.

As for baying and such she's really not that bad. She'll do it when I have a toy or a treat that she wants...so basically when she doesn't get her way. Oh beagles... such pains in the butts, but we love them.

· Registered
400 Posts
I agree with Rosie.

Soloman is allowed off leash. Now i dont trust him in our front yard area, since it is just a drive way and then a road right there. But he goes offleash hiking daily, in the woods and is fine.

yes he bays and howls. but not uncontrolably. he does it in play with our rough collie Blaze.

· Registered
82 Posts
we have a 7 yr old beagle- he is never outside of our garden (well fenced) wothout a leash. He MAY stay with us most of the time however is not predictable. If he stumbles upon what we call a "scent party" he will follow it forever despite any recall attempts/training and treats that we have....
Yesterday 8yr old son and I were doing a great bushwalk with beagle on leash when we stumbled onto a kangaroo which took off at high spead. If Roscoe was not leashed he would have been long gone and I am frightened that we would loose him forever (lost in bush/hit by a car trying to get home).

· Registered
72 Posts
Being a scenthound, a Beagle is going to be distracted by scent. But, as others have said, it doesn't mean they can't be off their lead. Bilbo is offleash quite often; we tend to go down a road with very few cars at night on an offleash run, bordered by wooded areas. He has ever opportunity to run, thing is, I didn't let him offleash down there until I knew he would reliably return to me.

Bilbo is also allowed off at the local park to play and train in the field, he's off at 4-H to work on heelwork and agility, he's off in our yard, and various other places. I think, besides training, a big thing for recall is knowing your dog. There are times where I refused to have Bilbo off the leash, even though my well meaning cousin and aunt told me I should so he could romp with their Dane. There are places where he used to not be allowed off the lead that he can go to now, and I won't walk either of my dogs off their leads downtown, because of all the cars and people.

· Registered
1 Posts
Do Beagles need to be leashed? In my opinion, absolutely not. They can be trained like any other dog. I agree that their noses get the better of them sometimes and it can take a while to get them back but that is normally where there are rabbits and deer about. Our two walk off leash, will sit before we cross the road and come back when we call them. They do look at you as if to say 'I will just finish what I am doing and then I will come' I personally think two many people listen to what they hear about Beagles and just assume they can't be trusted. With the right training they can. Just last Monday, we took our two older Beagles and Five month old Denzel to the woods with five other Beagle owners, total 17 Beagles and all off leash. Not a problem at all. They ran together most of the time and waited when called.
I'm so sorry. You're wrong. A full blooded beagle cannot be trained to come when called. All of these people who say " he smelled something and didn't exist", know what they're talking about. But you love them so♡

1 - 15 of 15 Posts