Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how you disipline your beagle. Over the weekend Mizu got a hold of some very expensive shades. Anyhow what I did was grab his mouth and tell him NO BAD BOY MIZU!
I told this to my co-worker and she was like oh my god! She said "Jenn it pisses my off how you let him get away with everything." She told me to grab him and slam him to the ground and or smack him. The she said don't come to work and complain about your dog. Which I was not! I just told them what happened. She got very upest! Now I think that was is just horrible! I just do not see myself doing that to him. EVER!!!!
I am very firm and do change the tone of my voice with him. What do you guys think????

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Oh my goodness! I can't believe she would tell you to slam your dog to the ground! That's abusive behaviour if you ask me. Not to mention beagles do NOT respond well to that kind of treatment/discipline! With that type of treatment they can quickly become skittish and timid. Beagles respond better to positive reenforcement.

How old is Mizu and what were the circumstances surrounding him getting the shades?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In my opinion, your method is far more preferable than your co-worker's. Slam him to the ground, smack him! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif That wouldn't solve anything, and might make him frightened of you.

If Mizu's anything like Li'l Girl, he's very sensitive to voice tones, and I'm sure he understood that he'd done something that made you unhappy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!
Mizu is just only 9 months old. And of course he will get into somethings here and there in the house. My boyfriend had his sunglasses on the dining table on the placemat and Mizu was able to grab it just by pulling the mat and he got the sunglasses. I didnt notice it till he came to the couch. I looked over at him and I was like ..Mizu ? What's..oh no! He just looked at me and let me take the glasses from him. Right after that I said Mizu this is a NO-NO! and he tried to bite me and thats when I grabbed his mouth and said NO! Bad boy. Is that ok????

Yea after my co-worker told me that I was like kinda upset. She was very loud and cursing as if it was happening to her. Also I DO NOT like the part where she told me to smack him. I do not want Mizu to be afraid when someone tries to pet him because then he will think he will get hit.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think what you did to discipline Mizu was fine. He needs to know what's acceptable, and it appears that you gave him that message in a firm way without being abusive.

Puppies and glasses just seem to attract each other. Not long after our Spook came, I got careless and left my glasses on the coffee table. :eyes: We didn't catch him in time, so that error in judgment cost me $300. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jenny, You did good!!!!!
Under no circumstance Mizu should get spanked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif ..... she should be slammed to the floor for even suggested that....
I believe that if Mizu reacts to your changes in tone, he got the messege of not being good. And he is still a puppy, he doesn't know any better.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with everyone else. You did the right thing. Jersey knows just from our body language and tone of voice that she was bad. She doesn't get spanked, let alone slammed into the ground! That is just appalling! There is a difference between discipline and abuse...slamming your dog into the ground defintitely crosses the line into abuse. You want Mizu to respect you as a pack leader, not fear you!

·
Registered
751 Posts
wow, do not ever ever slam him down, etc. If a dog does anything bad enough for you to get to that point, then there is a whole lot going on there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I knew it was wrong. Just the way she was telling me this. I could not believe it. I was so shocked I didn't know what to tell her. Oh and yea she owns 2 dogs.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You did the right thing. Your co-worker sounds like a very aggressive person and I feel sorry for her dogs if that's the kind of treatment they get.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There is a technique where you grab the scruff of their neck and roll them so they are pinned to the ground (not hurting them). Once down, you tell them NO. You would hold them their until they submit. At no time are you to hurt the dog. When the stop struggling, then you let them go.

If the mother beagle was around, she would scruff them, if they were small enough, otherwise she would growl showing the youngster her displeasure. Which is what you did.

A light tap on the rump (not to hurt, just an attention getter) or chin bump is OK. We did that with Murphy. He understood. No harm was done.

Slam to the ground? Tell your co-worker from us, They are wrong and should not be allowed to own a pet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote: There is a technique where you grab the scruff of their neck and roll them so they are pinned to the ground (not hurting them). Once down, you tell them NO. You would hold them their until they submit.
This is pretty much what I see my friends' dogs do with Beaglina when she gets too boisterous - they hold her down with their paws and then bark towards her until she gives in - and in return she adores them of course. Having said that I haven't tried it and don't think I ever will - apart from concerns about frightening her etc I noticed that when she jumps up if I push her away she interprets it as 'play' and does it all the more, whereas if I turn my back on her and exclude her she'll stop. And as for slamming her to the floor, just no way.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by JennyC:

I am very firm and do change the tone of my voice with him. What do you guys think????
I think your co-worker should be muzzled, smacked and slammed to the ground!! :grr: In the first place it's none of her business how you discipline Mizu, unless he's chewing on her shades! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif In the second place, she is obviously a dog hater, so therefore her "advice" should go in one ear and out the other!! I think you did the right thing with Mizu--he'll recognize your angry tone of voice and know he did wrong.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with everyone. Don't listen to your co-worker. If Mizu knows that what he did is wrong just by the tone of your voice, then that's it. End of story. Your method works.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ditto to all of that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

like a lot of the puppy manuals say " if you don't want your puppy to chew something...make sure they don't have access to it...otherwise give yourself a smack because you stuffed up LOL!"...
My kitchen counter is sooo tidy since we've had Snoopy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Mind you yesterday he chewed the buckle off the new high-chair /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif The dog psych hubby talked to the other day said beagles like the taste/smell of some chemical in plastic and that's why they particularly love to chew on it. The more I learn about my beag the more forgiving I can be about his little antics LOL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif :heart:

·
Registered
326 Posts
What annoys me the most is our girls know when they are doing something wrong, but they just wait for you to realise and repremand them.

A simple ACH! NO! and they usually stop and turn around. If it's something they are stealing, we have no chance. They start playing chasy in the front yard and we have to grab them, pull the item away, tap their nose and a stern NO! Doesn't work though, they still do it. We just don't leave things in the area they can reach.

(... Erin)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The most I've ever had to resort to with the Bagel was a nose hug. I stern NO works well! The most effective thing I can do to impress Bagel is to make him sit, especially when he wants to do something else. Scruffing the neck is a good puppy tool/ Alpha roll techniques work for dominance issues on adult dogs but training starts only when your canine respects you, fearing you may appear to work but it is a bad bad technique for successful training.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I can only emagine what my Henry might feel if I slammed him to the ground in anger. Besides scare him, it would break his heart. I can think of nothting that he could do that would ever make me even come close to physically abusing him like that.

Your co-worker has anger issues. Not only in how she believes you should discipline your dog but in the way she got so angry over a situation that had nothing to do with her. She's a mental case...I hope she doesn't have kids or animals but those kind always seem to have them anyway.

~Denise

1 - 19 of 19 Posts