Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Oscar has been doing very well the last month or so. Everyday he gets a little more brave with everything around him. He's become extremely playful in the areas of the house where he feels most comfortable. He's now brave enough to walk around downstairs a little (he's usually only comfortable doing that in the bedroom).

The one problem we are having is his whining. He's definately not lacking attention, he's rarely alone for more than 2 hours at a time. But when we are home, if we do spend some time not playing with him he whines like crazy. If we have a big play and end it to make dinner, go to bed etc. he'll whine and eventually bark a little. Obviously I don't want him to feel like we don't want to give him attention, but I also can't give him 100% of my attention all the time. I've tried a sharp "no" with no response. When I barks I'll say "no" and give him a light swat on the nose. But he'll just bark or whine louder. It's weird because when he is whining for attention he doesn't get nervous or scared at a raised voice like he does if you raise your voice in another situation. I'm sort of at a loss of where to go next. I don't want to scare him, or bring up any bad memories after we've been making so much progress.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First time I hollared at my rescue beagle Bagel he cowered in the corner, the second time I raised my voice was about five years later and he just gave me full attention showing no fear.

The worst punishment thing I've ever done is a nose hug. I've found praise, patience, treats and kindness work well with rescues BUT Oscar sounds so confident I suspect he thinks his post play whine and bark it is just a continuation of the play game. He still a juvenile and now is the time to draw a clear line.

As much as I regret saying it, perhaps a spray bottle of water might be employed to curb a still playful Oscar.

Hopefully others with have some ideas.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not sure I've got the whole picture. He's whining while everyone is awake and in the same room, and while you're in bed? I know new pets often whine at night, and the best thing to do is ignore it. A little while after he relaxes, calmly tell him what a good dog he is, then go back to what ever you were doing. Unless, of course, that just starts him up again. Sometimes dogs decide that negative attention is better than no attention, and interacting with them while they're whining will just reinforce it.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It took me a long time to realize that when my Henry comes up to me and whines in a certain way and wags his tail and acts "perky", he is asking to go outside.

Really...it took me forever to pick up on it.

Is little Oscar trying to tell you something specific? Wants out or a treat?

Just asking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's him wanting anything other than more play time or attention. Our nighttime routine usually consists of a long walk, dinner, play time, homework time while he eats a bone, back outside for the night and then bed. But when we come back in he thinks it's more play time. Or sometimes he'll sleep a little while we finish homework etc. and then if he wakes up and we're still awake (sometimes even 1am) he'll whine and pounce and bark and expect play time. We try turning off the lights, tv etc. and settling down. But he'll walk all over us and whine. Usually it goes on for 15 mins or so before he finally gets fed up and will then lay on his pillow and do lots of those big heavy sighs before drifting off into beagle dream land.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sounds like he and Henry are night-beetles.

Henry still goes through spurts where he wakes me up around 1:30am, goes out and heads towards the backyard where he surveys the premises, looks for '***** and possums, and eventually makes his business.

This usually takes around 10 minutes while I fall asleep against the doorway while waiting for him. Then he comes in, tail wagging, and heads into the kitchen expecting a treat and if the treat doesn't happen, goes into the laundry room to look for some left-over dry food.

At this time, I go back to bed. Just when I begin to doze off, he wants up. (he can't jump into the bed).

Last night I was so mad at him... funny how you can be mad at a beetle but want to kiss and hug them all at the same time.

Ugh!!! :grr:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Give him absolutely no attention when he whines or barks. As soon as he calms down though give him a good boy and a pat. That way he knows the way to get attention is to be quiet and a good boy.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
My technic is simple: I laugh. I pretend he is not being serious, that he is playing trics on me. I tell him he is a goof and a big clown and I laugh. Little by little, they stop.

It is a cry for attention as you have noticed yourself. Psychology now knows that refusing attention to children when they were seeking it is does not work. In fact the opposite works best. So why wouldn't it be the same with dogs? My belief is give them attention but do not baby him, do not give him what he wants. Just aknowledge him in an happy way but letting him know that this is being plain silly.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts