Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 6-month-old pup has turned into a "dirty dog". We are trying to crate train him and religiously clean up after him with BIO cleaner and wake up in the middle of the night to let him out etc. The trouble is when we do get up in the night he is usually fast a sleep lying on top of his own faeces. He doesn’t seem bothered at all...making crate training impossible. We tried leaving the crate door open with mats down, but he started chewing the wallpaper and kitchen cupboards. He defecates in his bed almost every night now, and refuses to go toilet outside even if we persist for up to an hour. He just sits with his stubborn little back to us refusing to acknowledge us!!! When he does go toilet outside we make a big fuss and treat him immediately, but this doesn’t seem to make any difference, his favourite place for toilet is apparently his own bed. Any suggestions to where I’m going wrong / what we can to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We change his bedding every time he soils it. I even scrub the cage clean with biological cleaner to try and get rid of every trace residue. We take him out as soon as he wakes up, straight after playing / training, about an hour after food and when ever it looks like he needs to go. Plus just before bed, about 2 or 3 times to try and prevent him going durin the night. He always goes for a walk at about 8pm and has a 3 feeds a day with his last feed at 6.30.

He's feaces are semi solid, and he is wormed every month.

If i have to leave him for a couple of hours during the day, he also soils his bed then (though not always)... could it be an act of frustration of being left alone???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he's tired then he doesn't make a fuss at all. But if he's not then definately yes. Maybe we need to get him used to his crate more? Try and get him to enjoy being in it more....

Though i have to update you all, that since my last comment, for some reason, (and i really don't want to tempt fate by saying it), but he has suddenly stopped soiling his bed completely, though we haven't changed anything! it's been 1 week now, so fingers crossed for the future.....strange!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.