Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 6-month-old pup has turned into a "dirty dog". We are trying to crate train him and religiously clean up after him with BIO cleaner and wake up in the middle of the night to let him out etc. The trouble is when we do get up in the night he is usually fast a sleep lying on top of his own faeces. He doesn’t seem bothered at all...making crate training impossible. We tried leaving the crate door open with mats down, but he started chewing the wallpaper and kitchen cupboards. He defecates in his bed almost every night now, and refuses to go toilet outside even if we persist for up to an hour. He just sits with his stubborn little back to us refusing to acknowledge us!!! When he does go toilet outside we make a big fuss and treat him immediately, but this doesn’t seem to make any difference, his favourite place for toilet is apparently his own bed. Any suggestions to where I’m going wrong / what we can to?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It's unusual for them to soil their beds. Whatever happens you have to change his bedding as even when well washed he can still smell where he has been, they tend to go on the same spot. What sort of routine do you have for taking him out? Do you take him for a long walk last thing at night? Are the feaces solid? Or does he have the runs? If the latter he might have a tummy upset and cant help but go. Could you block off an area near the front door for him to sleep. Put paper by the front door and his bed at the far end. Just to see where he'll choose to go.
It sounds like he has the wrong idea about the purpose of the crate and you might be forced to abandon it for a while.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The only thing I can add to the already good advice is what time is his last meal? It could be that changing the time you feed him will mean that he doesn't need to poop in the middle of the night.

At 6 months I'm surprised that he can't hold his poop until the morning so I'm guessing perhaps that you feed him a large main meal in the evening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We change his bedding every time he soils it. I even scrub the cage clean with biological cleaner to try and get rid of every trace residue. We take him out as soon as he wakes up, straight after playing / training, about an hour after food and when ever it looks like he needs to go. Plus just before bed, about 2 or 3 times to try and prevent him going durin the night. He always goes for a walk at about 8pm and has a 3 feeds a day with his last feed at 6.30.

He's feaces are semi solid, and he is wormed every month.

If i have to leave him for a couple of hours during the day, he also soils his bed then (though not always)... could it be an act of frustration of being left alone???

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: LynneI just feed my Beags 2 times a day .....9am and 4pm......Maybe if you try one less feeding....
Don't. That sounds normal to me.

Originally Posted By: Stanleys_mumHe's feaces are semi solid, and he is wormed every month.
I believe he is dewormed every month? Isn't that too much? I think it's either once or twice a year.... not sure.

I would try and thoroughly clean the crate and replace entirely the "mattress" he has in it. During the night for the first few nights take him out every couple of hours (a pain, I know).

Maybe someone else has a better advice... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hihi.gif

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you have a solid bottom crate, you might try no bedding. Toby would pee on or chew up bedding, so I quit using it. That solved my problem. I also feed twice a day. That, too, might be worth a try. If you feed as early as you can in the evening maybe he will have to go earlier.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It's common practice to worm once a month with puppies that are under 6 month old, at least in the UK it is. That was what I have always been advised by vets.

I worm my adults every 6 months.

I don't think the worming or late feeds are the problem as 6.30 isn't that late. I'm thinking that he has for some reason become so used to soiling his crate that it's now a habit.

Is he well behaved in his crate? does he cry/whine or happily settle down? Crate soiling out of frustration/separation anxiety is more common than one would think.

If he were my dog I'd be inclined, at least at night, to try a different method regards his sleeping arangements for a week to see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he's tired then he doesn't make a fuss at all. But if he's not then definately yes. Maybe we need to get him used to his crate more? Try and get him to enjoy being in it more....

Though i have to update you all, that since my last comment, for some reason, (and i really don't want to tempt fate by saying it), but he has suddenly stopped soiling his bed completely, though we haven't changed anything! it's been 1 week now, so fingers crossed for the future.....strange!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts