Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week Casey has really started to take to going for walks...soon as the harness is taken out he sits down, wags his tail, and stays perfectly still til it's on. He even doesn't mind the going 'to' places anymore. Really happy about that.

On the other hand, how much dirt, leaves, pine cones, and sticks can these little hounds consume? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif I mean today was a constant chorus of 'leave it' and prying things out of his mouth...if I got there in time. Had a whole handful of premium jerky, but he constantly wanted to eat nature. Please tell me this is a phase. :nono5:

Here are a few pics of the latest dirtandleaffest.

'I can eat this right?'

'What's with all this 'Leave It!' stuff?'

'Why's she sniffin my butt?'

'All's good in the elvator back home.'

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby started chewing everything in sight when she was teething. She stopped the constant chewing when she was done, but on occasion still now if not provided with adequate chew toys/chew sticks/bones she'll naw on the wooden desk.

G

·
0 Posts
Beautiful pup - and poor Casey doesn't seem to mind the butt snifing.

I am having a similiar problem - if its on the floor it ends up in Lucky's mouth. Drt, dustball, plastic, paper - he just gobbles it up.

I sure hope its a phase that will end soon.

Donna

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've never seen a beagle with a muzzle like that either. He's very beautiful. Like the others, I think he'll always want to nibble on the things he finds outside. You could probably break him of it with a lot of time though. Gage still does this too, but now he's more into carrying things and ripping them up than eating them. Sometimes he'll take a toy outside with him to carry around instead.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, Casey is simply gorgeous. I love his face! Usually the white blazes into the tan, not the other way around. He's precious!

Now, onto the question. I had to laugh at "today was a constant chorus of 'leave it' and prying things out of his mouth". Jersey is two and we still go through that on almost every walk. She loves grass, leaves, twigs, etc. She has more fun at the dog park chewing on sticks than she does playing. She'll go out on my balcony and eat the dead leaves that have fallen off the hibiscus bushes out there. I have to keep screen over the dirt in the flower pots to keep her from eating it. Sometimes she manages to move the screen and will come in with a black nose. Then I know that she's been in the flower post. LOL! Of course, she acts like she's done nothing wrong. :hi: Jersey knows the "leave it" command and I try to use it whenever I see her going after any of that stuff. It doesn't always work though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Emma is about 3. She picks up sticks & rocks & a few leaves (usually when she is excited). I really have to watch out for the food items she finds. Cups, fast food bags, napkins, bones, bread, seed, etc. She even likes the oyster shells they use in landscaping. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
First off, what beautiful markings. What a beautiful beagle. Anyway, Cecil and Brandy are 18 months old now and still eat stuff....when they are on our yard walks, we have to constantly pull their heads up especially when we think it's rabbit droppings. They are like candy to them and not good for them. They eat leaves, sticks and just about anything handy. In the playpen there are times you would think they are cows as they eat some of the straw. Cecil likes a particular kind of weed grass and likes to graze once in a while. Brandy just wants to root up anything smelly. Sometimes they sound like pigs routing up stuff and sniffing. We do fine on the street walks with leave it or drop it, but in the yard it is a different matter. I am certain God looks out for my beagle girls. He must and after all He made them that way so I leave a lot of their well being related to typical beagle things to Him. So far it is working.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
OK, really, you painted Casey's face, right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif His marking are just lovely!! And that butt-sniffing picture is priceless!!
I don't have any experience with eating dirt and leaves. Miss Shiloh just sniffs for food on walks. Everywhere. All the time. And because we live on a street with a lot of foot traffic, careless neighbors, and a donut shop at one end, she usually finds stuff. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Even in our back yard. And she is so quick--she has her treasure scarfed up and chewing away before I can say "Leave It."Sometimes I can pry it out of her mouth, like the day she found a large piece of already cooked chicken. Her most surprising find one morning recently was 3/4 of a cheeseburger in our back yard that definately wasn't there the night before! It was frozen solid!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Since it was about 2 degrees and I had to get ready for work, I let her bring it in the house to chew on!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know this situation all too well. My hands are always covered in slobber from something I pried out of Fin's mouth. He's very sneaky about hiding whatever in his mouth; I have to sweep my finger under his tongue and all over his cheeks because he will stow it away there until I'm gone. The good thing is he doesn't try to eat it, he just chews it to pieces.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh yes, the finger in the mouth routine.
Maggies favorite things are either sticks, q-tips or used tissues... I've mastered getting the q-tip out of the mouth.

Jasmine on the other hand likes metal objects. I've actually gotten .20 cents out of her throut. She's quick at swallowing things...

The funniest though is chasing Maggie to get it away from her. I swear if she were human she would be giggling like a little girl....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The pictures are cute! Lucky loves to everything in sight when he's outside. He thinks it's one big food bowl. I can't tell you how many times I have had to fish stuff out of his mouth and the many times I cleaned up vomit when I didn't get the stuff in time!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh Andrew, beautiful pictures!
As for eating dirt and leaves, I think it is far more decent than eating poop! Charlies still like eating it sometimes.
Leaves are ok, as long as there is no splinter to hurt Casey. Charlies like eating my plants in the yard, I try not to plant poisonous plants, and replant them in the Spring. He had destroyed quite a bit in the yard! I had a bright idea today, I will pull out the dead ones and replant them all with hooky thorn roses! :greendevil:

Charlie mom

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OMG first of all I have to say what an absolutely stunning handsome pup you have there. I'm glued to my screen and in love :heart: and so is Rosa.

Some of them grow out of the phase of eating dirt, sticks, leaves etc. but others don't. Rosa doesn't bother with much these days but did when she was a pup. My other dog Lilly who's passed away now carried on eating non food stuff all her life. It was a constant battle to stop her eating stones and earth. I tried all manner of training and adding supplements to her diet incase she was lacking in something but to no avail.

Good luck with Casey, he's just so adorable
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ditto Charlie mom. Just be glad if your baby doesnt' think poop, especially other dog's poop is an absolute delicacy. My Thelma would move heaven and earth not to miss a poop tootsie roll. THAT is not fun to fish out of her mouth. I really worry about disease, etc, but usually its down the hatch before I can get to it. I usually end up doing a poop patrol before I walk her in a particular area, I wish people would be more respnsible for their dog's waste.
I do a "quick scan" & try not to take her where there may be poop. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
:computer: One day, when Tippi was about 2, we were walking through our complex. She was behind me and as the cars went by I noticed everyone pointing at us. Then I noticed everyone pointing and laughing. I looked around and Tippi was carrying an empty 2 litre bottle of Pepsi.....and she wouldn't let go. She also loves sticks, grass, leaves, the list goes on and on......
Lora&Tippi

My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet.
Edith Wharton

1 - 18 of 18 Posts