Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is Georgia doing?
she will tear up my sheets & blanket cause she is digging for I do not know.
it is fun & cute to watch but why is she doing this?
is she trying to make her spot more comphy?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
She is definately making a nest. Molly spins and spins in circle before she lays down. I put a small fleece blankie in her bed and she loves it.

My greyhounds do the same thing on a grander scale! They get piles of blankets to spin around on.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes - all of ours do their fair share of nesting - Booker is the best at it and sometimes it amazes me what she can accomplish with her blanket without thumbs!

Popcorn also digs at the blankets but with her that means she wants to go under the covers - and she can get quite aggressive with her digging unless we lift them up and let her go under...

·
Registered
786 Posts
My Maggie just lays down on whatever is there, but Jasmine has to dig and fluff, then finally lay down. Its a big procedure with her.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
This behaviour goes back to their wild ancesters days. Dogs in the wild would use any grass, ferns, foilage etc. to make a bed, digging it around and then circling on it to make it a little more comfy.

Sherry does it A LOT to the point of being obsessive about it. This could be because until I got her she lived on a farm outside so I doubt she had nice comfy blankies to sleep on. Rosa doesn't do it much at all.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep making a nest. Both of ours do it too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is adorable. Shiloh does this every night. He walks in a circle to the left 4 times, then to the right 3 times and then lays down. First, he has to fluff and pull his covers.

If we're watching TV in the den, he'll run and get one of my or my husbands shirts and bring it with him to the den. Then he'll put the shirt in a chair and follow the same digging and fluffing. It is the cutest thing!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Molly will sometimes go in circles, but does anyone else's beagle let out a big moan after they finally lay down?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sometime's Shiloh will blow kind of, like he's tired or as if he's saying, Why didn't someone do this FOR me?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben digs when he wants to be let under the covers. To speed up the process I have gotten into the habit of just lifting them for him. If I am in the bed alone (BF is at work) then Ben will get under the covers and do some digging and spinning. He doesn't do this when there are two humans in the bed though.

When he finally settles in, he lets out a loud exhale. I love it. I finally know he has settled and I can settle as well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have always wondered about this too. Coco does this right before he goes to sleep, then he circles around the area, lays down and lets out a big sigh. It's funny because my bf & I often say whenever he sighs like that it sounds like he is saying Boy, what a rough day

·
Registered
230 Posts
In our house, there's digging, and then there's DIGGING. Lucy must always dig and circle before laying down (and that includes a lap), AND she moans. What a hard life she has!

Flora does some, but more neatly and efficiently.

Then there's the pawing to be let under the covers. The two are different, and we have been trained to tell difference.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Champ does it too. the big sigh is always makes me laugh.
too cute!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey does this too. Sometimes she digs more than others but it always ends with a big sigh and sometimes a few groans. We call it her woah is me sigh, like she's just got it so rough.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie does this too. He'll circle around a spot on the carpet and then proceed to dig at it. Then he lays down and goes to sleep.

The first time he did it we thought he was about to go potty and was quickly whisked outside.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have to chuckle at how similar all of our beagles are - including the two different types of digging a lot of them do (the nesting digging and the let-me-under-the-covers digging).

And yes, Moosie in particular lets out the biggest exhale after he finally lays down - we like to join him and exhale back!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
In fact, Maggie is doing it right now. She digs and turns and fluffs and jumps around. I don't know how she knows when her spot is ready because it always looks about the same to me but she will not settle until the blankets are exactly the way she wants.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts