Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I love my 11 week old to bits! but.. he has discovered that one part of the garden is an excellent place to dig! now this isn't a problem as he cant get out and he has destroyed everything (well there wasn't much anyway) in that part of the garden. But its a little annoying..!

Will this stop? CAN you stop the digging?

I read somewhere that putting poo in there works... but not for Glover... he just digs it out..! that little poo!!

Oh and another 'problem'is that he nips me constantly, it is play but gets anoying, I always put a toy in his mouth when he does that, or if he nips too hard I ignore him. This is working but I need to get him used to his nails being cut! but he doesn't let me touch his paws for two secs without niping! any ideas??

xx
K

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
First, WELCOME TO BEAGLE WORLD! :wave:

I've heard that sprinkling pepper on the ground will prevent them from going over there and digging, but never used this method myself so I don't know the particulars.

Don't ignore the nipping, the most important thing to try to correct the bad behaviour is to correct it IMMEDIATELY, don't wait. Dogs don't have the ability to understand (and never will) that they're being disciplined for something they did 5 minutes or an hour ago.

For me, telling Abby "NO!" in what I call my scary voice works to get her attention. The "scary" voice is very stern and a few pitches lower than my normal tone. Also, since he is still young you can try growling at him whenever he nips. That is one of the ways the mama dog corrects behaviour.

As far as nail trimming goes...Abby doesn't like me clipping her nails either so I take her to Petsmart, or she gets them clipped at her vet's office if we're going there anyway.

Good luck! :animal18:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like he loves to dig, that is quite normal and its better than chewing up furniture /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
We gave up on all our beagles and let them dig, any flowers we put into pots in the garden. Our last beagle, Spotty, used to bury loads of things and when our present two moved in they had a wail of a time digging up things, a bit like a lucky dip.
If you really dont want him to dig then you have to be out there and the moment he digs say NO. As for nipping, that does have to stop, a firm NO when he does it and he should get the mesage.
I let the vet cut our two's nails, you can hurt them if you do it wrongly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
it seems that you have a few good ideas for the digging...but as for the nails. when i first got my puppy I would play with his feet all the time and his tail just to get him used to it... now when he walks by i can grab his foot and he does not care... just everyonce in a while play with his feet and legs... after a while he should just stop caring about it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Many times if they get what I call "asphalt action", their nails get filed by the pavements. If not, you need to be careful when doing it yourself.
About the digging I think you got good advice.
The nipping: this is something that must be corrected immediately. You can try using a water spray bottle. Have a few laying around the house so that you have them accessible. Everytime he starts, say No with a firm voice and than spray (general direction - face). From my experience they don't like it that much, and get the point pretty quickly. You can also use the bottle for correcting other unwanted behaviour.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rhett is a digger and Scarlett is a Rhett copier so I had to find a way to deal with it as I want to:

a. Get my lawn looking good again
and
b. Possibly starting a garden next year (I work on computers all day so wanted to find something to do that didn't involve technology)

Anyway this is what I did/am doing to resolve the problem.

First thing I did was build a sandbox in an area that was out of the way but still visible from my back deck (The pups still love to see daddy when he's relaxing on the deck). After I built the sandbox I would then hide toys under the sand and treats and what not and got Rhett trained to play in it. He is for the most part staying away from the regular lawn but there are still some problem times but it is more because I had a bunch of buried dead roots in the back yard that make the lawn really really soft so it would tear up when he has the zooms so he would continue on. These problem ares should be getting fixed next year.

As for my future garden I just made a design of where I wanted to place it and have a plan to build a mini fence around it so they don't even get the idea that it would be fun to trash.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for all the advice!

as for the spray bottle... been there done that..! he started to bark at us so someone told us to us the spray bottle.. it worked for a couple of days.. but now he doesn't care, just licks the water of his nose!!!

I don't ignore the nipping, deffinetly not! just when he does to hard I yell out and move away from him for a while. that's what I mean by ignoring.

I didn't notice any diggin today but that doesn't mean he has stopped..!

Im always touching his paws and ears just to get him used to it, he seemes to be getting better.

xx
K

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had the same problem with the nipping and the same lack of success with the spray bottle, so one day while I was spraying vinegar and water on my coffee table leg to keep Brie from chewing on it, she went into nipping mode on my fingers, until she tasted the vinegar. Drama queen that she is, she shook her head and sneezed and rubbed her nose on the carpet, but from that day to this, she has not nipped at me at all.

As for the digging...I'v just resigned myself to the fact that no matter what I try, the digging will continue.

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by GloverCharlie:
but now he doesn't care, just licks the water of his nose!!!
You can use the mint spray (for the breathe..). They don't like that even more than the water, and it doesn't hurt them. It's also easier to carry around, and fits perfectly in your palm (so they don't even know you carry it)... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Lora&Tippi:
Had the same problem with the nipping and the same lack of success with the spray bottle, so one day while I was spraying vinegar and water on my coffee table leg to keep Brie from chewing on it, she went into nipping mode on my fingers, until she tasted the vinegar. Drama queen that she is, she shook her head and sneezed and rubbed her nose on the carpet, but from that day to this, she has not nipped at me at all.

As for the digging...I'v just resigned myself to the fact that no matter what I try, the digging will continue.

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton
lol about the digging

I might try the vinegar thing... or what Chloemumy said about the mint spray!
:0)

·
Registered
250 Posts
ok i have read all the advice on the nipping... and i have tried everything with my pup but nothing seems to work..i have tried the water and he does not mind that... i tried the vineger and he does not care about that either... I have tried ignoring him and putting him in his pen but.. all he does is go get into something else so i cant really ignore him... I use my meanist voice i have when i tell him no but he just keeps thinking its a game.. HELP!! please...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nipping...we have always done 1 of 2 things about the nipping here in our home. My husband grabs the lower jaw with his thumb in their mouth and presses against the tongue enough not to hurt but to restrict movement. They don't like that, but I am not as successful with that method so I have always just wrapped my hand around their snout and with a slight downward movement tell them no. It is not 100% successful but keeps things under control until they get over that stage.

As for the digging...the only thing I have found successful is to cover the ground with a length of chain link fencing where they are trying to dig. Then when they pick a new spot I move it to the new spot. lol Seems silly, but it stops it from happening in the same spot for awhile.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK!

I tried the vinegar... he licked it then got all fussy and rubbed his nose all over his floor pillow... then proceded to nipp me..!! arg! then I put tabasco in the water and winigar and no same effect... this I tried all morning, still he nipped and really got me on the ankle.

Then I started growling at him every time he nipped, this worked!! he would stop and look at me with those big brown eyes as if to say sorry.. then start again! this time I growled no then left him alone, so he proceeded to bark at me, I growled no again and left so he couldn't see me for 2 min. This I tried all day and at the end of the night guess what!! he wasn't nipping but licking! yay!

now this was yesterday ... which methood should I keep on? I think the growling is more effective.
When I leave him he is in the backyard, wich is huge so he has room to have fun and not get into trouble.. much lol.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome on board!
I personally won't trust Charlie alone in the yard for too long. I spent too much effort and money fixing and replacing things he chewed. 3-4 hours in the crate is ok, if longer, he'll stay in the garage with everything up on the rack...clean floor. :evilgrin: shoes!
I had a sand box for Charlie to dig in too, lost interest already. I had used chilly pepper, scattered it on the ground, it seemed to work, Charlie sneezed. Well, he hasn't been digging, thank you. Nipping, try shaking a beer can with a few coins in there. The heavier the can is the better it is..louder. Keep a few in the house so they are handy, also scolding with a low deep angry voice"NO" :hi: Good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i'd love to find something for the whole front yard.i don't think there is anything that keep homer away.i tried pepper,spicy cajun seasoning,vinegar,super hot sauce-and he licks it all up and keeps digging :rolleyes: tried to spray him with the water bottle(works in the house)but he just runs to where i can't reach him and digs there and i am not gonna chase him around the yard with a water bottle-tho the neighbors would get a kick out it....lol.silly dog-he can dig to his hearts content in the backyard since there is no grass since the trees shade it all and it is much bigger but nooooooo-he wants to dig up my nice front yard!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
My pup stan is the same he nips and digs. We gave up with the digging and we turnerd our whole garden to patio :rolleyes: with the bitting I found that holding his mouth shut and growling a firm NO with eye contact works most of the time. if he is to playfull i find distraction is my best tool make him sit and stay for a treat. I clip stans claws when he is asleep it normaly means i have to do one paw at a time cus he wakes up but i get there in the end /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm glad this thread is here; I must have missed it the first time around.

Our new roommate's husky mix Morty and my Spock went outside to play this morning. About 20 minutes later, I went out to find them. They didn't come to either door when I called, so I looked around the fenced-in back yard to see if they'd broken out anywhere or if the gate was open. I stood on the deck and heard some scuffling noises. Walking to the edge of the deck, I looked over to see if the boys were in the "trench" between the deck and the fence. No dogs looking up at me, but there was a big hole under the deck with a little bit of white muzzle sticking out.

Morty dug a hole big enough for him to get into, but it was too small on the inside for him to squeeze out again :doh: And Spock was there with him, kind of playing "follow the leader."

We don't have a shovel, but I did find a crowbar, so I got it and started digging a little to make the hole wider. Morty squeezed about halfway out, so I got a good grip on him around his torso and helped pull him out. Spock came tumbling after.

They are both FILTHY. Morty has mud caked in his paws to an extent that I can't get it out. Spock, I was able to kind of towel most of the dirt off and get his feet to a point where he's fit to come inside (he'll be getting into the shower with me shortly). I don't want to be shampooing my rug anytime soon, though, so I can't let Morty in until his owner gets up and about (he and my boyfriend were up pretty late getting him moved in, so they are sleeping in this morning) and decides what to do with him (Morty is very calm and sweet, but I don't want to give him a bath since he doesn't know me very well and may not be assured I'm not going to hurt him).

I'm off to pepper the yard, hoping that Morty has not dug a hole under the fence while I've been researching digging remedies and typing this post. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

G

·
Chase is a digger also but for some reason he thinks he can be success on my hard wood floors :rolleyes: silly pup! :biglaugh:

I hope you get things in order at your place we're going through the same thing with Chase except he's nipping our 5 year old and sometimes us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts