Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor once asked me what "type" of beagle Jayne is. I told him I didn't know, mostly because I didn't understand the question, and he told me she looks like an "Alaskan Beagle".

I researched it and nothing came up, so I was wondering if you guys had any idea about what he was talking about. I don't know, maybe he's just talking out his ass like people do.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I know there are 13" and 15" beagles. And all tan / white; tri color. I bet there are black / white ones too.
techie

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Look at the picture of Cassie--someone asked me if she was a beagle....duhhhhhh. WE all know our Beags....THEY'RE BEAGLES FOR GOSH SAKE! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think besides the two height standards there is definitely variety within the breed. I often see very square faced, boxy looking beagles while my girl is very long and lean with a longer snout. It probably just depends on what traits people are breeding for.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely see the difference in hunting and show lines along with American and European, but Alaskan? I just have no idea what in god's name he was talking about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never heard about types of beagle either, i've just heard about another breed called Beagle Harrier, that is a little bit taller then the beagles, but i can't say for sure that it's a legitimate breed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a legitimate breed, but it's neither beagle nor harrier, but it is speculated to be a midpoint between the two. It's a separate French breed that is now very rarely found in France, let alone any other country.

·
Registered
136 Posts
AKC ("show") beagles tend to be shorter-muzzled, with thicker tails. UKC ("hunting") beagles tend to be longer in the body, with sharper muzzles. Though there is crossover in both types, I'm sure. Mine are all hunting types (though none of them hunt at ALL), though Annie does have a boxier head than the others.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just think it's interesting how they vary. I always thought breeds that all look the same are just a little odd, it's like all people looking the same. It's so weird watching Westminster because all the beagles (and all the other dogs, for that matter) look like they came out of a cloning machine. Then when you watch group hunting trials, each dog seems so individual. Though I'm fairly biased since I prefer the field varieties of most breeds, watching dog shows is sometimes painful when you look at how far standards have pushed some breeds away from their original function, mostly evident in the sporting and working group.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Very true - and all of the illnesses and other problems that result! At least the beagle standard is a normal looking dog.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always thought it was interesting how appearances can vary somewhat between different beagles. Some have pretty long ears and some have shorter ears that make me think they've got something else mixed in with a beagle.

My cousin had a lemon/tricolor beagle that we often wondered if she was part American Foxhound as she had a bit longer muzzle/head and longer body. But she told me she was purebred beagle and even had the papers to prove it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my first beagle on Wednesday. When I first saw him thought he might be mixed with something else as I have never seen a beagle with such light colourings before, but was reassured that he was a pure bread. I love it, it's good to see a breed can have so many differences.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought my first beagle on Wednesday. When I first saw him thought he might be mixed with something else as I have never seen a beagle with such light colourings before, but was reassured that he was a pure bread. I love it, it's good to see a breed can have so many differences.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Can you post a bigger pic of your pup than the one in your avatar? I'd love a better look at him.

·
Registered
398 Posts
there is only 2 types, 13 in and 15 inch. Just like most breeds, you will always have diversity in looks.

harriers are a seperate breed. I know a bunch of them. very beagl looking just taller.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts