Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just got back from the vet and it was a not so fun experience... he hates being touched... pretty much anywhere... he bites when you touch him... and the worst is trying to touch his feet... i had the vet clip his nails and he acted like it was the end of the world... i have been working at home with him and playin with his feet all the time and touching him and doing everything i can to try to get him used to it...but it seems like its just getting worse

any advice???

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've never had this problem as Jersey is a big cuddler, as was Amber before her. I would say to just keep working with Diesel. Give him treats and make it a positive experience. That way he'll start to associate being touched with treats instead of something to be afraid of. Maybe if you teach him to shake, he'll get used to having his paws touched and getting treats when it happens. Just an idea that came to me as I was typing.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if there could be a health reason for Diesel's behavior. Like if he was in pain or something.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would go with what Jen suggested about the praising and the treats. But one thing is for sure, you shouldn't be taken back when he snaps or resists. Be firm and persistent, keep your hand on him, he is still young and cannot cause much pain.
I saw an episode of the dog whisperer when Cesar treated a westy with a bad reaction to touch. He just was persisted and got the dog to realise that he is in charge and can basically do whatever he wanted to.
Don't give up, he is still very young. Just keep touching him all the time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree with Jen as well. Hunter is that way with her feet. I have to take her to get her nails done. She screams blue murder if I try to clip them. Casey doesn't care though. Hunter has always been that way with her toes from day 1. But its o.k when I dry them when she comes in from outside with dirty feet. Go figure.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by dieselbabe101:
ok i just got back from the vet and it was a not so fun experience... he hates being touched... pretty much anywhere... he bites when you touch him... and the worst is trying to touch his feet... i had the vet clip his nails and he acted like it was the end of the world... i have been working at home with him and playin with his feet all the time and touching him and doing everything i can to try to get him used to it...but it seems like its just getting worse

any advice???
My Shiloh is the same ! You don't touch his tail :nono5: , touching of back feet is allowed on occasion . But NEVER touch front feet. And nail clipping....forget that !
:nono5:

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Our first Beagle was horrible about getting his toe nails trimmed. The vet and a tech had to hold him down. They asked me to leave the room and I had to listen to him howl out in the waiting room.

But you are saying that he doens't like to be petted or touched at all? Is it that he is just a wild little fella still? And wants to nip and play all the time? Have you thought about getting a dog trainer? We had a dog trainer come to our house just for one visit and she gave us so much information and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Caleb was quite a sickly puppy and developed a passionate dislike for the vet and would try and run when the vet appeared and it took me and the two vet nurses to hold him down just to be examined! he wwould buck like a brocho and squeal , made seeing the vet a nightmare.

We changed vets two years ago, a young lady vet who Caleb liked and he was like putty in her hands and sighed loudly and lay down on the table with his head between his paws whilst she went on about just how cute he was and what a favourite he must be with his mummy and how good he was! It may be a age thing and fear. Caleb is a big wuss about most things and is more sensitive than the girls

I would however not like to clip his nails but his stay short anyway as we have a patio yard. He hates his feet been touched and tucks them under him when lying down if you try and touch them.

Just try and touch him in his no go areas softly when he is relaxed and ask him "Let me see" I do this with ears and teeth when cleaning.

With wet paws I ask for a foot by tapping the paw and saying "Give me the paw" They lift their feet know to have them dried.

Good luck!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts