Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Well, FI and I were leaving a hospital meeting about 50 miles away from where we live...we saw this old beagle running in the median between a busy highway.

FI said "we have to get her"....glad he feels the same way as me...we almost had her 2 times, but I would go up to her and she would just run..and she is old, definately 7-8 at least, hobbled and I could have catched her but I wanted her to come to me, and we were on a very busy street...I didnt want her to get hit by a car or bite me....oh that changed.....we kept chasing her.

We spent a long time looking for her..called the Animal Control, which I didnt want to do, but it seems like you have to in order to have the owners re-claim them....called them to come out...30mins later..no one..we patroled the area..found her siting in a corner of a parking lot.

OMG...she was panting and tired, and old..my heart just broke..we just happened to have a collar in the trunk..(God's plan im sure b/c we almost took a different car)

FI got her on the collar, she had NO TAGS..just a very large leather harness..It was huge and so heavy im sure..she was foaming and panting, and I offered her water but she refused

She got into the car, was so sweet, shaking in fear....I petted her from the front seat, she was in the back...and SHE BIT ME...OUCH...bad too..broke skin in 3 places and I have a lot of pain, so started antibiotics, even though I know the risk of infection is low, the pain was worse than shoud have been, so I decided to take them

I handed her off to Animal Control...told them that if she is addoptable I want her to go to a No Kill shelter...they dont seem to care...all they care about is holding her for 2 weeks to make sure rabies is ok...but she is old and we have no kill shelters here...

Im not sure what to do now..FI is mad I got bit...seriously didnt think she would bite, but she did...she walks great on our collar..I dont want her put down b/c of the bite...she was scarred..Im sure that is why she bit me...but animal control says "there are a lot of scared dogs that dont bite"...she is old and I cant stand the fact she would be put down b/c of me....She is totally domesticated, sleeped in the car, walks great on a collar....what do I do now?

I could have taken her to a No Kill shelter, but I feel that the owner has the rights to her first...I just know she is a great beagle, and I dont want her put down b/c she bit me or b/c she is old..what can I do?

Manda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes you did the right thing. She would have been runover. AC is correct, there are many scared dogs that don't bite. Get that hand looked at as well.

Stay in touch with Animal Control, ask for a Supervisor. if anything, so you know what is going on.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You kept her from getting run over, and there are a lot of scared dogs that don't bite. You did the best you could do.

Joe's right, do get your hand checked out. A few years ago, my hubby had a dog bite and, even though he got immediate medical attention, it became infected. It took a long time and a lot of antibiotics for it to heal.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Once the two weeks is up. Maybe if you keep in touch with AC, they would allow you to pick her up and transport her to a No Kill shelter? That would give the owners two weeks to find her.

Poor little girl. You are an angel for taking the time to catch her!

Keep us posted...

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thank you for saving her from being run over. Maybe put some flyers (notices) on trees where you first saw her. She had a harness so belongs to someone.
Being a doctor you will know the importance of looking after dog-bites.
Try not to feel too bad, you saved her from being hit by a car.

---------------------------------
weve been sniffed twice

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
You did the right thing. Don't second guess yourself. Her fate would have been much worse if you hadn't intervened. Hope your hand is okay.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You saved this baby from being seriously injured or killed by a car. You did the absolute right thing. Please don't feel bad, you gave her the best shot at getting back with her family. I agree with others, keep in touch with the animal shelter and get in touch with the no-kill shelter. They may be able to make arrangements to pick her up and find her a forever home. You are a beagle angel, I hope if my baby ever got out, someone like you would take the time to make sure he was safe.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update...

I called AC today, no owner came yet..no tags, no microchip...

She is doing well, I was worried about her overheating..she was panting like crazy, pooed on herself..we still put her in our car, and she is doing well

I was worried they would treat her bad b/c she bit me so I called today....told them I would rescue her if she is 'adoptable' by their standards. they said she was just put in a different area but was treated the same way and that they would call me...

They said that rescue groups come by often and will take the older dogs too...that makes me feel better

We really struggled about just taking her in to one of the no kill places where we live, but that is like 50 miles away from where we got her, but I felt the owner should have a chance to get her back if they cared...but no tags, no microchip..?? ..then she bit me...then I had to turn her in

It is a bitter sweet thing...I know she is safe now, but she was so scarred,and now that she bit me Im worried they may put her down b/c of it

Thanks for all your responses....I was so worried about her last night I couldnt sleep, and you guys made me feel better

funny I just cut down on work to do animal rescue at a local shelter...wondered if Im really cut out for it... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

thanks again
Manda

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Manda,

What a horrible ordeal for all of you!

But you did do the right thing. Being in the shelter is much better than being scared/hungry/thirsty/tired or being hit by a car and dying on the side of the road.

Poor thing...it's understandable why she bit. Who knows what she's been through...how many times have you or I said that about Henry or Snoops?

Maybe you can tip a rescue off about her and offer to sponsor some of her care financially, at least partially,if they take her. It's just a thought.

Keep us posted.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh Manda, you definitely did the right thing... no dog deserves to die at the side of the road after being hit by a car, and it sounds like she was absolutely scared to death (which makes me think she wasn't some stray that was used to being loose).

And taking her to animal control was also absolutely the right thing to do. Moosie had a collar once that wouldn't hold and kept getting loose and slipping off of him - if something like that happened to her then she would have lost all of her identity tags together with the collar, so she could very well be someone's best friend and have people out there desperately looking for her. I also agree about tipping off a rescue about her so that she has a Plan B if no one comes to claim her.

Good luck and keep us posted - and look after that hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts