Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He had a beagle on that was obsessive about sniffing in the couple's backyard, when he did this he would also cry which got on the owners nerves.

Cesar said it's because he's a beagle and they need something to "sniff" - he's not being challanged with his sniffing.

Anyway, he also suggested taking a long walk (which I do daily) but to put a "backpack" on the dog that is weighed down alittle so the dog tires out faster (I know that I can take Miley on a 45 min-1 hour walk and she acts like she just woke up from a nap when we get home).

I was wondering if anyone has tried this? And where would I buy a backpack that the dog wears??

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rosa is the same about her walks some days. We get home from a long walk and she starts zooming round the house as though she'd never been out.

If she needs more exercise I have to walk her separately because I worry that I'm putting too much strain on Sherry even though she seems able to cope well.

A weighted harness or something sounds like a good idea then I could walk them both at the same time but Rosa would get more of a workout and maybe lose some weight too.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A heavy backpack to tire out a dog? Not wise.
Beagles can be prone to back issues, believe me, I know.

Maybe Cesar should get a job bagging groceries instead of giving out <span style="color: #FF0000">VERY BAD</span> advice!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bag wasn't heavy by any means. It's like the backpack you see the beagles wear at the airport who are sniffing for contraband.

I've just never seen this method used on a "regular" pet -

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup, saw that.
I was surprised to see a beagle on The Dog Whisperer because usually you only see boxer dogs, bulldogs, staffordshire bull terrier and some mutt dogs on this show. I think Cesar Millan is specialized in training aggressiv dogs.
I like to watch his show and i don't think he gives bad advices to people. I even bought that book called Cesar's Way which is all about obedience training and learning your dog's body language.
It's great /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I saw that one a few times (it was a re-run). I have to admit that I tried that with Chloe a few times when she was sniffing and didn't mind me (not the bag, just the tssss sound and trying to block her), it didn't help me, she just turned and went sniffing somewhere else /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif. I think I don't have the right energy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

He is really good at what he does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I had to go and research this a bit.

As long as the dog is healthy, the weight isn't too much and the weight is properly distributed there should be no risk to the dogs back.

It only takes a very small amount of added weight to make a huge difference to the amount of extra energy the dogs uses up.

I'm not sure it's something I want to consider though. Maybe a talk to your vet first would be a good idea.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry, its my opinion. After going through two beagles with herniated discs and knowing of others who also went through it, I would NEVER add weight to a beagles spine.

Cesar may be an "expert", but I am going by my real life experiences.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I've read two of his books, particularly liked Cesar's Way. He helped an ex research beagle who had no interest in life, by introducing a racoon-pee trail in the hounds back yard! The beagles instincts were reborn and the beagle discovered an interest in life.
We only get the old series here, but think the man is amazing. We are using some of his methods on Susi and Snoopy and are amazed at how well they are working. Simple things like making sure on leaves and enters a room before the dogs, making them sit when they want to attack dogs on walks. Its all working.
I wouldnt add weight packs to their backs though.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I would not agree with the back pack either. Beagles are too prone to back problems. What that little Beagle on the show was doing was getting on a scent trail in the backyard. And the crying they are talking about is the noise that Beagles make when they are on a scent trail. Yes, the noise they make can get annoying especially to neighbors early in the mornings. Nothing will get Sadie off a scent trail except bringing her in the house and time.

Last night I took Sadie and Pooh out at 10 p.m. to go pee before bed. Sadie detected a scent by the back fence. She was starting to run around sniffing frantically and doing her little cackle/bark. I made them come in because it was time for bed. This morning she got back on the scent trail. It was not as fresh so she didn't stay at it very long.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm with Murphy and Summer's Dad on this one. Any dog show that has the disclaimer at the beginning "don't try this at home" should be taken off the air. You don't see that at the beginning of Victoria Stilwell's "It's Me or the Dog."

Milan is waaay too into the "alpha" mindset for me -- and that just isn't needed with every dog!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I agree!! Beagles are prone to back problems to start with, extra weight wears on the body...that's one of the reasons why my vet wants Abby down 5lbs.

Originally Posted By: Murphy & Summer's DadA heavy backpack to tire out a dog? Not wise.
Beagles can be prone to back issues, believe me, I know.

Maybe Cesar should get a job bagging groceries instead of giving out <span style="color: #FF0000">VERY BAD</span> advice!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I will also add that Abby makes different noises while she is scenting, varying from a beagle bay to little yips. The BEST way I've found to quiet her is to acknowledge her.

Shortly after I got her she started the yipping and someone here, I think it was Bob but I don't remember for sure, said that it's the beagle's way of signaling to their pack that they're on to something. So, I thought if I acknowledge her by going over to her, petting her and talking to her, it would help, and sure enough it does quiet her down a lot more quickly than not acknowledging her.

Oh, and I will add too never trusted this dog whisperer guy. I don't trust anyone that claims to know everything about everything. They tend to give out a lot of blanket advice that doesn't really suit a personal situation.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm....good food for thought. I don't relegiously watch his show or anything, I was just flipping through the channels, saw a beagle and was interested.

I thought the backpack was an interesting idea becuase it would almost make them feel like their working?? I don't know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

About the "crying" when they are sniffing around...I always have hidden stuff in the yard for Miley to find and it's a form of our play so I never really had that trouble with her. I researched too much about Beagles to know that they are happier if kept "busy" and "challenged".

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think that, like with most things in life, one should watch Milan's show with the philosophy of "take what you like and leave the rest"! He would probably think I'm a terrible dog owner because I do consider my Maggie my baby but I have utilized some of his suggestions when walking her so that we don't just have "sniffs" -- we actually have "walks". The only segment that I saw with a beagle was one where he determined that the dog was making too much noise, i.e., howling. He attempted to get the dog to be quiet every time it started to howl. I personally think that is a wonderful characteristic of a beagle and, if you don't want to hear a howl, get another breed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's all I needed to know. THANKS its from Season 2 Episode 13 titled "Eppie, Lady, and Snoopy"

There's also another episode with a beagle from Season 4 about a beagle named Abbey who now won't leave the house.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts