Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 month old is experiencing diarrhea (not watery, but mucousy) ever other movement for the past week and a half. When his movements are solid they are hard and firm. We switched his food from puppy chow to Eukanuba two months ago because he was going very often, and the vet said it was due to the fillers. He did well with the switch, no problems.

He doesn't seem to have control of his movements, because he has been having accidents in the house, which is very uncommon for him. In addition to his diarrhea problem he is having bladder control problems. For example he will be sitting on the floor and all of a sudden he will start to dribble. Like I said before this is uncommon because he is very good at informing us that he has to go out.

We have an appointment this week to test for worms, but I wasn't told what to do in the mean time. Should we continue feeding as usual or put him on the chicken and rice diet until we get him to the vet?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Until you get him to the vet, try adding a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix, just plain pumpkin) to his food. The chicken and rice diet wouldn't be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would give him pumpkin and get him off of Eukanuba. IMO Eukanuba is not a very high quality food, just highly priced. In the meantime, give him the chicken and rice and be sure the checks for Giardia. I had a rescue dane that had the same symptoms.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: TwoLuI would give him pumpkin and get him off of Eukanuba. IMO Eukanuba is not a very high quality food, just highly priced.
I agree, the grain content is still very high in Euk compared to other foods like Orijen, Artemis and Eagle Pack Holistic.

Once you rule out worms I would try him on some raw bones like chicken wings or necks and see if that helps firm up his poos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought dogs were supposed to stay away from pneumatic (bird) bones? If worms are ruled out, then from what I'm hearing is changing his food again? Wouldn't he have shown signs of GI distress after the first couple of week on Euk, it's been two month since the switch?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: eagerinsightI thought dogs were supposed to stay away from pneumatic (bird) bones? If worms are ruled out, then from what I'm hearing is changing his food again? Wouldn't he have shown signs of GI distress after the first couple of week on Euk, it's been two month since the switch?
Chicken bones are fine to feed as long as they are raw, definitely not cooked as that makes them brittle. My dogs eat chicken bones (wings, necks, frames etc) almost every day.

Raw food like bones are easier for dogs to digest than kibble and can help firm their poos up. Dogs evolved to get all their nutrients from raw food like bones which is why their body is able to digest it more easily than processed food. Not that there is anything wrong with good quality dried food, but when I fed my dogs on dried food I still liked to give them raw bones regularly for their health and over all condition.

Sometimes allergy symptoms build up over time. Even if the symptoms are caused by something other than diet, I can guarantee you he will poo more on a food that is higher in grain content like Euk than he will on food with less grain content, because dogs can't digest grain and poo it straight out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts