Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking Fin in to get fixed next month and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on getting his dew claws removed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check out the other threads on dew claws; it's been discussed a few times. It might be in the general section.

Lucy and Flora have their dew claws, and they haven't been a problem. If you plan to run through a lot of brush, then it might be worth having them removed. Otherwise, I wouldn't subject Fin to the removal. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cobi has his dew claws too. I have to make sure that because they grow faster than his other claws that we trim them more often. They are a pain in the neck for that reason and because they can get caught on other things. Cob, got his caught on a couch cushion, and I thought we'd never take care of that. I was told they usually remove them within 2 - 3 days of birth because then there is no blood supply to the claw,and it's easier on the pup.
Can't remember how old Fin is, but if you are getting him fixed, I am thinking he is a little older and maybe they will cause more problems with bleeding and healing than leaving them on. I'd check with the vet. Ours wouldn't remove Cobi's when he got fixed because he was 10 months old...too late he said. But go with what the vet tells you. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe's dew claws were removed when she was 2-3 days old by the breeder's vet. My other dog has his and never had a problem that I can remember.

I personally like it that her fingers don't get caught in my stuff

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker only has dew claws on the front - she did tear one once jumping over a log (didn't quite jump high enough) and she had to have it wrapped for a bit until it healed, but other than that they have never been a problem for her.

Moosie has his on the front and big honking curled ones on the back. He has never had his caught on anything but if we don't watch it the ones on the rear will grow all the way around in a circle and irritate the pad where they meet up... The vet has said we could have them removed if Moosie ever has to have surgery for something else - but we have never really felt it was a big deal as they don't seem to bother him.

Popcorn had them on the front and the back - they removed the ones on the back when she was spayed at about 7 months just before we adopted her. They seemed to heal really quickly and well - and the stitches didn't seem to bother her at all, so it didn't seem to be a traumatic event even at 7 months for her.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Rufus still has his thumbs as we call them & I have advised
Pop to have them removed like Goober! But he is stubborn like
me in resisting that operation! Goober had his removed as a
puppy!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Unless you're going to be going through a lot of bush with him, where there is a danger of them getting caught (which CAN cause major problems), there is no real reason to put him through it. I have my puppies' dew claws removed when they're 2-3 days old (many breeders do it themselves, but I am not brave enough, besides, I like for the vet to see them). It's a simple snip at that age - they yelp for about 2 seconds (once they're bandaged and put back in with littermates, they're fine). If you wait, it's more like removing a bone - and is a much more difficult procedure. The dogs I've adopted still have their dew claws, but the ones born here all had theirs removed when they were tiny. I finally convinced my vet to try the liquid bandage instead of adhesive tape which was a bear to get off a squirming puppy. Removing the tape from the first couple of litters was much worse on the pups (and me) than the dew claw removal!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey doesn't have any one her back paws, but she does on the front. We never have any problems with them. But when she gets too excited and jumps up on me or pulls on my arm IT HURTS! I wouldn't have them removed at this point though. It's not worth the pain she'd go through now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts