Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a bit worried with both Snickers and Connor going in for Dental Cleanings etc. on Wednesday. I have to drop them off in the morning by 8am.

At his last senior dog exam, Snickers and his liver are O.K (Not 100% great but OK). However, his teeth were giving him troubles with eating and drooling. Lots of TARTAR and he really needs a cleaning to take care of it. I agreed with Dr. Kari (the vet) that since he has been doing well, we should get them cleaned. They plan to go light on his anesthesia. To hopefully not affect his liver as much. Then next week he will go in again for bloodwork to check his levels. We are hoping that it doesn't affect his liver.

Connor's last exam, we had some concerns with his condition. He has a collapsing trachea. We have been managing it as best we can. As needed, he gets children's cough medicine and he has been put on steriods for a small amount of time this last spring. He also needs a cleaning for his teeth. We noticed that he doesn't want to chew on any bones or anything else either. Because of his condition, any procedure involving intubation needs to be carefully done. Any irritation could make his condition worse. And it does pose additional risks. For 1, there is a higher possibility that his trachea could collapse completely once they pull out the tube.

Of course, no surgery or procedure is without risks. They BOTH just have a high chance of complications.

If you all could just think of them on Wednesday, that would be great.

Thanks!

Jen (the worry wart)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I understand completely your concern.
It's always nerve wracking when our babies have to have anesthesia is worrisome and, especially so, when they have a medical condition. I'm sending good thoughts for both your boys.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have any of you heard of a process where the vet will coat a dog's teeth with some sort of tarter/plaque preventing shield? My friend mentioned that it's fairly inexpensive and can help those that do not have the time and skill to brush their dog's teeth.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I will definitely send good thoughts to Snickers and Connor on Wednesday. I can relate to the concerns about having anesthesia used with a senior pup. Mags had her teeth cleaned a couple of months ago -- she didn't want anyone to touch her mouth and, upon more careful examination, it turned out that she had ulcers inside her cheeks from the heavy tartar build-up on her molars. My vet used only light gas -- no injectable anesthesia -- and Maggie came through it with flying colors (and she has a failing liver). Now, when I take Maggie in (at least once a month), the vet takes a gauze pad and literally scratches off the tartar on her molars to try and prevent another build-up. It looks like it is quite hard but actually breaks up easily. Of course, two techs have to hold little Mags down in order for the vet to get anywhere near her mouth!
(I had heard about the topical application -- my vet said it was not something that would help the tartar build-up on Maggie's molars. This is the only dental problem she has ever had -- no gingivitis or tooth loss.)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I used Oravet, the topical application, for Traveler for over a year. It didn't seem to do much good, so I've quit and just brush his teeth every other day. They seem to be doing better with the frequent brushing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Dentals for Both

Of course, I was worried all day on Wednesday.

Dr. Kari called after Connor was finished. He needed one premolar removed. She explained that he was slower to come around. They did not have any issues with his trachea. However, she asked us to leave him there until near closing so they could monitor him. All was well, just extremely drowsy. This morning he was still a bit under the weather. But... this evening he is back to his normal self.

Snickers ended up having one premolar and one molar removed. Both were on the lower left side. Surprisingly to Dr. Kari, both teeth were cracked down to the roots. (About 3 years ago, he had an abcess which required 2 upper teeth removed on that same side.) They removed a growth on his muzzle that was getting bigger. They also removed a troubling growth in his ear that he kept scratching off. (It would bleed and then he would end up with an infection if we weren't diligent on cleaning that ear every two days. UGH) They were in for nearly 1 1/2 hours according to his records. Dr. Kari stated, they had difficulty removing the molar. He slept most of the evening last night as expected. He was not feeling well this morning at all. He was drooling a bit of drainage and his jaw is quite swollen. And he was very reluctant to eat even softened kibble. (Which, as we all know, is usual for a beagle.) This evening he did his normal prance and arooos for dinner. However, after eating... he pretty much slept the entire evening. Definately not quite feeling himself just yet. Tho, if I had 2 teeth removed, I wouldn't be myself either. We go back in on Monday if the swelling doesn't start to reduce or happens to get worse. Otherwise, his follow-up blood work will be taken next Thursday. We will find out next Friday if there was any reaction involving his liver. Dr. Kari would also like to run a test on his kidney function to be on the safe side. Keeping our fingers crossed for good news.

Thanks for the support and thoughts.

Jen
Edited to say..

I personally think that the tooth they removed in Connor was ROTTEN (His breath stunk to high heaven)... NOW His breath is a million times better.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Update: Dentals for Both

Thank you so much for the update -- glad the pups came through with relatively little trouble! [Since Maggie has never had any teeth pulled but has had bad breath, I think the bad breath can come from the tartar build-up.]

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Update: Dentals for Both

I'm so glad that there were no problems, and that they're doing well. Hopefully, there'll be no liver issues for Snickers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts