Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told by 3 vets now that my beagle, Lemon needs dental treatment - the one under anesthesia. I've been reluctant because of the anesthesia, but recently she had a tooth infection, along with some other infection (caused most likely by what the vet called "Dietary Indescretion" (aka eating some unknown "snack" on a walk), so I'm feeling like I should do it for her overall health, but the anesthesia makes me rather nervous.

Any thoughts or experiences specific to Beaglies?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you tried letting her eat raw beef bones?? Does the trick every time for mine. Deer antlers also work but are more expensive. I have heard that colloidal silver is good for the crud Beagles pick up from the environment and dental germs too. Can anyone confirm or deny this?? I would appreciate it if someone can read what is colloidal silver and let me know what they think.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Once you get with infection it truely becomes neccasary to get that dental done. It's very uncomfrotable to the dog (pain ect) and can also lead to blood and organ dis function.

Anestsia has made several leaps and bound in the past many years. Have your vet do a CBC (complete blood panel) prior to the dental to rule out organ issues. You can also give Milk Thistal 3 days before and 3 days after the procedure. This will help the liver process and extract the anestsia from the body.

Speak to your vet about the kind used. There are severa kinds.

Once you get the dental you can be pro active in keeping the teeth cleaned.
Anesthesia-Free Teeth Cleaning For Your Dog - Whole Dog Journal Article

http://instruction.cvhs.okstate.edu/vmed5412/pdf/22Canine-FelineAnesthesia.pdf

Isoflurane
Canine Anesthesia/Vaccine Problems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually I have the same question too, whether to give my beagle Dizzi a dental treatment, suggested by the vet. My worry is...........what if she could not wake up from the anesthesia? Will the blood test rule out this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
the blood test will give a good indication. What they are checking for is the liver. The liver is what processes the anesthisia and helps the body expell it. If there is liver issues the blood test will help detemine that. As well as other organ function.

Discuss with your vet the actual anestesia being used. You can opt for a cathider in place for emergency medications. It's so they dont have to locate and find a vein to give meds in case of emergency.

It's relitivly safe these days especially if you talk to your vet heart to heart about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go for it.When we rescued Ginger her teeth needed a good cleaning,she was 2.5 yrs old and teeth were never treated.Anesthesia was fine,took her in morning and picked her up next day..Ther usually req overnight stay just to be sure all is well....

Do your pooch a favor and get it done...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
A tooth abcess can kill your dog (or a human). It can affect Lemon's heart and other organs. Anesthesia is scary, but Lemon really needs this treatment. Brandypup makes some excellent points.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would do it, discuss with your vet and plan it out. Afterward, so you don't have to go through this again, give them bones and if possible brush their teeth with dog toothbrushes and toothpaste. If you do not plaque can kill your dog, and cleanings are expensive and scary. I also reccomendy getting Plaque Attack. It can help. Although Idon't do the fancy brushing for my dog's teeth, I do give him plenty of rawhides and he also gets Dentastix, another reccomendation. If you care, do a few of the above and your beagle's teeth probably will be in the all clear.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would get it done.

After i would be feeding a good quality food, and good chews to help fight off any build up in the future.

My 8 year old collies teeth are near perfect, never had a dental. just good food and good chews his whole life has kept his teeth in near perfect condition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts