Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread on Dental Treatment under Health, but it hasn't gotten any replies - did I put it in the wrong place and should I repost it?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Sorry, I did miss your original post. I don't always go that far on the page. I know there are people here who have had their beagles teeth cleaned and I am sure you will get a response today. I know that bad teeth can cause kidney and heart problems.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not only did I miss the post, but after doing a search I still could not find it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
But then again I am not known for my high level computer skills. :eyes:
What was your concern or interest?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't see your post in the other forum. Li'l Girl has had her teeth cleaned, as have two of our other dogs, and the cat. All came through it fine.

Our Rhodesian mix, Traveler, has had dental problems and has had two teeth pulled. The vet didn't pull the 2nd one as soon as he should have, and Traveler got very thin and his liver enzyme readings went sky high. We put him on Vitamin E and Milk Thistle therapy, and had the tooth pulled. Traveler's health improved quickly.

So, I say if your dog needs dental work do it. Dental problems really can cause other health issues.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
My boys goes to the vet once a year to have a deep cleaning done, it covers on the plan.
Otherwise going to the groomer every couple of months or so, they clean their teeth, included in the bath. Charlie has a rubber toy that he chews on that suppose to rub his gum with. And I heard raw chicken with bone in, can also clean their gums. Charlie is not quite use to eating raw things. He didn't know what to do with it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif That is the inexpensive way of doing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anybody ever brush their dogs teeth? I used to when I had my german shepherd, but he had alot bigger mouth, so it was easier to get in to.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
When exactly did that other "Health" forum start? I must have missed it... but now that I know about it I'll be sure to check it.

Of our three beagles, only the oldest, Booker seems to have a problem with plaque build-up on her teeth. When we first got her she had to have them cleaned at the vet about once a year - although now that I think about it, it has been several years now since a cleaning and the vet hasn't said one is required (we usually have it done when she is having some other surgery - which seems to happen about once a year and most recently this past January). We did try to clean Booker's teeth ourselves for a while, but it was such an unpleasant thing (she wasn't a willing participant) and didn't really seem to help much overall so eventually we just let it slide. I can recommend from personal experience not to try to use an electric toothbrush, however!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I brush Shasta, Austin & Megan's teeth. They put up with it because I use Canine tooth paste that is chicken flavored. Yum! And the "brush" is a small, flexible thing that fits over my index finger and has little tuft-like bristles on the end. I really do not know if I am doing any good or not, but I am trying. :angry:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I brush all the dogs' teeth 3 to 4 times a week. :eyes: It seems to help keep tartar off the teeth of 3 of them, but doesn't help Traveler much. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif He's going to get another dental treatment very soon, and then I'm going to use Oravet to see if it'll help. :conf12:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to be so slow in responding - i've been "boycotting" the computer a bit as I take a much needed break from work until June 4. Here was my original post:

I've been told by 3 vets now that my beagle, Lemon needs dental treatment - the one under anesthesia. I've been reluctant because of the anesthesia, but recently she had a tooth infection, along with some other infection (caused most likely by what the vet called "Dietary Indescretion" (aka eating some unknown "snack" on a walk), so I'm feeling like I should do it for her overall health, but the anesthesia makes me rather nervous.

Any thoughts or experiences specific to Beaglies?

I do brush Lemon's teeth, but it doesn't do all that much good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts