Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. The other night our beagle Fred was yelping loudly in pain. He would yelp while laying down and then he was quiet for a while and then yelp again in a few minutes.

We were very nervous and brought him to the vet. They took xrays and then told us he had a mild back degenerative problem. It is not very far along. He was given a antiflammory (sp?) shot and was given pain killers for us to take home. From my understanding it will not be a constant pain situation but he will get flame ups at times requiring pain meds.

Also Fred is 2 1/2 years old

Has anyone had any experience with this?? I would love to hear from someone. I would like to know how othe beagles live with this.

Thank you in advance. Also I appologize for any typos, I am posting this while on my iPhone.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Go to www.beagles-on-the-web.com and on the right side of the page there is a picture of a beagle labled Tinkers Blog. Tinker may not have the same problem, but he does have very serious back problems. I do know the biggest thing is crate rest and lots of it. The is a former member here that has experience with back problems, but I hesitate to post his new website as his leaving may be a sore subject.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Our eldest Booker has had two flare-ups of degenerative disc disease. The first was in her neck when she was 5 and within a day she went from being fine to being in complete agony. The disc burst and she had to have surgery but she recovered without any long-term problems.

Then a year or so ago, when she was about 11, she had another similar issue with a disc further down her spine. It was clearly not as serious as the first one and rather than surgery the vet just had us completely limit her activity (nothing more than short walks to take care of business) for six weeks to see if it got better - and it did. She hasn't had any flare-ups since, either - knock on wood.

So hopefully Fred's issue is more like Booker's second experience - and can be treated with crate rest and some pain medication. But worst case scenario, even thought the surgery is scary and expensive the results for the most part seem to be very good - as long as there is no paralysis beforehand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts