Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm starting to hyperventilate a little.....
FINALLY after waiting what seems like forever... i get my puppy this sunday!!!!! 6 more sleeps....
AAHHH!!!!

so i was wondering....
is there any last minute preparations i should do in this week to come???
i've pretty much puppy proofed my house already, figured out where she'll be sleeping and eating....

any other suggestions besides getting lots of sleep??? hehe

·
Registered
250 Posts
sleep is always good haha.

do you know how your going to keep an eye on him incase he has an accident. some people leash thier dogs to them i used baby gates and only allowed him to be in the room i was in.

ohhh and have fun. puppies are so wonderful haha

oh i suggest you buy or make him a small blanket. and when you go to pick him up rub the blanket on his mom and litter mates. the breeder i picked up diesel from had blankets made for us. they really help with the first few nights when he has to sleep alone. keep the blanket with him and it smells like mom so he is a bit more comfortabel. it worked wonders with diesel

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooo! see! all things i didn't think about! haha.
i totally didn't think about trying to keep her in the same room as me to monitor the messing... great idea with the leash!!

great idea with the blanket too!!! i'll pick one up
yayyy thanks so much /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think that is a really good idea with the blanket.

Try to get lots of rest because you will be getting up quite a bit.

Molly & I are very excited for you>

·
Registered
271 Posts
I completely agree with the blanket. My breeder gave all the new parents a piece of a blanket that had mommy smell on it. Peanut still carries hers around and won't let her brother touch it. It's like a child's security blanket. It is getting pretty dirty, but I am afraid to wash it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I do the same thing with my puppies when they leave here - with a "blankie" with mommy smell on it. I had a friend who bred cockers and (you'll laugh at this), she bought tiny toys and stuffed them in her bras so they smelled like HER - to give to each puppy when they went to their new homes. When I've shipped dogs away, I always include a tee shirt or something I've worn - to have something that smells like "mommy" on it. Seems to work - anything to comfort the baby.
We expect LOTS of pictures.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heh ya that makes sense. my pup is coming with a little "care package" that includes a blanky - i'm pretty sure its one that she's had all along so there will be tons of "home" scents on it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
5 more sleeps!!!
my hubby is bringing the video camera to catch me bawling my eyes out when i get to hold her for the first time hahahaha. nice hey.
and o yes there will be lots of pictures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Good luck with the new pup. Another trick is to have a warm (not hot) water bottle to put in the pups bed and a ticking clock. This way it wont feel so alone.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The "ear infection" thread on the health section reminded me something. You should really get the pup used to you touching her everywhere and messing with her without her objecting to it. If you'll get her used to being touched (ears, butt, belly, teeth, etc.) it will be easier for you in the future to brush her teeth, clean her ears, check her behind for anal glands problem and such and the belly thing helps with the rubs /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif and she gets used to being on her back for you, which is a form of submission...

Waiting for more updates and pictures of the little angel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awww great idea /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
thanks so much
poor thing - i'm going to feel so bad that she'll feel all alone...4 more sleeps!!!
thanks again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Woojiebearpoor thing - i'm going to feel so bad that she'll feel all alone...
Just remember that you and your hubby will be your pup's new family so she won't be all alone! We are all excited right along with you and looking forward to the first video & pics.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Congratulations! A new baby. You are so lucky. Please post pics if you can. I'd love to see the new addition.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the touching her lots advice is great - thanks for that!!! touch is very important but yes the more comfortable she is the better!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

how do you puppy proof a garden??
i have a tiny one... it has a concrete bottom where we have a bbq and a tiny table with chairs. there are two wood steps up to a little grass area with flower beds on the side... right now i have pansies, tulips, daffodils, chives, rosemary, dill and parsley all planted... are any of these toxic for puppies??

i have a fence but it doesn't go all the way to the ground (smart!!!!) i was going to email our strata to see if it was ok to get mesh that will cover the exposed area - otherwise she'll be able to escape easily... so hopefully that will work out.

for now she won't be able to roam free out there.... unless i get a long enough leash and attach it somewhere.

3 more days!!! i'll post pics right away!! i'm going to pick her up early sunday morning /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif let the whirlwind begin!!!
thanks everyone /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grr.gif

Can't wait to get an update!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts