Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I took my beagle puppy Lucy to the vet for a few shots and just to discuss what I should be feeding her etc..
One of the things the vet said to think about was flea and tick treatment.
I was curious if you guy's had any ideas or your favorite products to use were? I would like to keep it not to cheap but not to expensive but still do the job right;):smile2:
Thanks!

Registered
We feed CostCos Lamb and sweet potato. I don't know if Westmoreland stuff comes for puppies. Blue Buffalo is also highly rated but expensive.
techie

Registered
We use Bravecto for fleas and ticks - it's edible - Neb is double coated so we had trouble with topical treatments. This shouldn't be an issue for a PB beagle (Neb is part Husky). Bravecto is not without it's controversy, but we've had good results/no toxicity.

A lot of the cheaper pet store treatments do cause bad toxicity so I would be careful of those. I think some stores carry Revolution and K9 Advantix which if I recall correctly are more reputable/also available from a vet.

You'll also want to consider heartworm treatment (I'm guessing; not sure where you're located). I think some flea/tick treatments cover heartworm and some do not. Bravecto does not so we give Heartguard.

Registered
buying the best quality dog food is really important to the health of your dog. i know alot of people balk at paying $60 for a 40lb bag of food, saying "that's alot of money." no, it really isn't. break it down. if you are feeding good quality food, you're feeding your beagle about 1 or 1 1/2 cups/day + treats.
that means if you have 2 dogs, like i do, it costs you about $1/day to feed each dog, high quality food. if you only have 1 dog, the cost is even less. on top of that you save at the vet. no cysts, nice healthy coat, healthy dog who is not over weight.

i buy farmina n&d in a 40lb bag. it costs me $58 and lasts me a little over 5 weeks so, rough numbers is
7 days, x 5 weeks = 35 days
$58 divided by 35 days is $1.65/day divide by 2 because there are 2 dogs, that comes to 83 cents/day per dog.
that's dirt cheap when you consider you get a healthy, happy dog and it costs you less than a dollar a day to feed them high quality food.

Registered
My dog eats Freshpet. I pay $14 for a 6 lb roll. Some places charge more but it's what my dog will eat and its rated 5 star.

Registered
My dog eats Freshpet. I pay $14 for a 6 lb roll. Some places charge more but it's what my dog will eat and its rated 5 star.
the dog in your avatar? maximum cuteness!!

i bet between all of us here, we could make one hell of a calendar

Registered
I am a Fromm feeder for my Golden but my Beagle due to her allergies eats Natures Recipe. As far as flea and tick I use Frontline Plus during the warm months. I do year round heart worm treatment with Tri heart plus. Much cheaper than the others out there and works just fine. Do you have any puppy pictures? We love them on here. ;)

Registered
I am a Fromm feeder for my Golden but my Beagle due to her allergies eats Natures Recipe. As far as flea and tick I use Frontline Plus during the warm months. I do year round heart worm treatment with Tri heart plus. Much cheaper than the others out there and works just fine. Do you have any puppy pictures? We love them on here. ;)
We recently started Nebbers and Xerxes on Fromm adults. Agis eats Fromm's large breed puppy (so a different formulation would be necessary for a beagle puppy). Supplemented with taurine and meets AAFCO guidelines so our vet is thrilled after our years of feeding grain free!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I do!! I'll to get them up soon:D

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
buying the best quality dog food is really important to the health of your dog. i know alot of people balk at paying $60 for a 40lb bag of food, saying "that's alot of money." no, it really isn't. break it down. if you are feeding good quality food, you're feeding your beagle about 1 or 1 1/2 cups/day + treats.
that means if you have 2 dogs, like i do, it costs you about $1/day to feed each dog, high quality food. if you only have 1 dog, the cost is even less. on top of that you save at the vet. no cysts, nice healthy coat, healthy dog who is not over weight.

i buy farmina n&d in a 40lb bag. it costs me $58 and lasts me a little over 5 weeks so, rough numbers is
7 days, x 5 weeks = 35 days
$58 divided by 35 days is $1.65/day divide by 2 because there are 2 dogs, that comes to 83 cents/day per dog.
that's dirt cheap when you consider you get a healthy, happy dog and it costs you less than a dollar a day to feed them high quality food.
Hmmmm..that's very true!! Thanks for pointing that out for me:D I very well might try that!!:D

Registered
Ive been using Advantix ll flea and tic for medium size dogs. I under dose my dog since the large dog size treatment would be too much. Ive done this for years and never had any bug issues. It was the one recommended by my vet. I shop around for best prices. Ive found Amazon to have the best price and if you subscribe you get an xtra reduction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts