Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Maggie thanks you for your concerns, and the answer is yes, she's feeling better! The blood results show her liver enzymes way up.....no obvious reason why, although she did also have a bladder infection, so I suppose that could contribute.
The doctor discussed trying a medicine (not sure of the name)....but I want to wait to see what happens after she's off the baytril.

I keep kicking myself. I just keep thinking back to the "eating grapes" episode when she was 4 months old. Sure seems like she's had ongoing health problems since then (she nearly died). I can't help but blame myself; perhaps her health problems all began then.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
I can't help but blame myself; perhaps her health problems all began then.
Deb -- you know we are going to be on your case for thinking that!!! The "what ifs" can drive you nuts -- believe me, I've been there.
Was the medicine maybe S-Adenosyl? I used that as well a regimen for liver health with Mags (and others here have used as well), i.e., Vitamin E, milk thistle and SAM-e. If her liver enzymes continue to be high, you might want to talk with your vet about it. Hopefully, her system will calm down!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no way you're to blame for any of Maggie's health issues. :nono5: Until I read it on BW, I was unaware that grapes are toxic for dogs. I could have very easily have given them to any of mine.

I was going to suggest the Milk Thistle, Vitamin E, Sam E protocol. It was really effective for Traveler, and his liver enzymes were off the chart. There was no apparent reason for him, either, except for a bad tooth which could have been partly to blame. :conf12:

I'm glad Miss Maggie is feeling better. Rub her tummy for me.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Thanks Judy and Sandy.....

I know you're right, I can't go down the path of self-blame....it does no good, and nothing can be changed anyway. I don't even KNOW if that caused her ongoing problems; the vet has never said that (and believe me, I've asked).

We'll just deal with things as they come. Thank you for the reminder about the regimen you've both used before! I forgot! When she's off the Baytril, we'll see how things go.....Thanks again for your concerns. I promise to e-mail you with questions should I need to :computer:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Deb,

I'm late chiming in but I do echo what Sandy and Judy said. Please don't concentrate on the "what ifs".

You're too good of a mommy to Maggie.

Keep us posted.

~Denise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts