Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some major help! How do you go about de-skunking a dog????????? He is smelling like the cartoon character Pepe Le Pew. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Here's some recipes haha

Recipe #1:
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Mix in a bucket (it will fizz).
Soak your dog's fur, but be careful not to get any in his eyes.
Use a sponge to clean off his head and around his eyes.
Knead solution into the fur and be sure to get every part of him with it.
Rinse thoroughly.

Recipe #2:
1 cup of vinegar
1 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 cup of dish soap

Lather WELL, add water until a good thick coat of lather is worked up and let sit for 10 minutes.
Rinse well, followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar in 1 gallon of water to rinse and leave on.

Recipe #3:
1 pint hydrogen peroxide
2/3 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon of citrus-based liquid soap

Sponge mixture onto the dog's fur.
Let sit two to five minutes then rinse with plain water.
Second batch may be needed. Use fresh ingredients.

Tomatoe Juice doesn't work...you just end up with a dog that smells of the juice and skunk combined....nice.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh no! Good luck. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
Go right to the store and get Skunk off! It works great!! I always keep some on hand. Be sure to spray your hands before you spray them.

Good Luck!!!

Tell Peanut not to play with the black and white kitties.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pureevil.gif

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't Peanut. Her big brother, Kaden, stepped between her and the black and white kitty. Whew!!! Tried the tomato juice before I posted. So I knew that didn't work.

Jennifer, are you kidding? Letting it sit for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes???? And keep this beast in the tub that long? I am already drenched.

Okay.....off to town to get Skunk off! Wish me luck....I need it. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally Posted By: DebJennifer, are you kidding? Letting it sit for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes???? And keep this beast in the tub that long? I am already drenched.
It would be funny though, right!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol3.gif

·
Registered
85 Posts
So the old tomato juice is just a an olds wives tale?

We had our front door sprayed by a skunk and we used skunk off....ALOT OF IT....then i had to use the vinegar and water almost ever day for a week before the smell left.

Hope you can un-stinkify (hee hee) your baby.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Tomato juice works a bit on less stubborn smells like if they roll in fox poop or urine but I think skunk is just too strong for the juice to make any difference.

·
Registered
300 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif So ok this is going to sound really funny but, it worked for me. Go to the drug store and buy some country flowers dush! It worked for me, my neighbor and a friend of mine. if it's not harmful to a lady it will not be harmful to your dog. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay....update! The Skunk off works. Or at least I think it worked. Either that or maybe my nose has grown used to the smell. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Thanks so much pfr. He is really not happy with me at all. I am getting the evil eye from across the room as I type.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally Posted By: Jennifer
Originally Posted By: DebJennifer, are you kidding? Letting it sit for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes???? And keep this beast in the tub that long? I am already drenched.
It would be funny though, right!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol3.gif
I fail to see the humor of this. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol3.gif Seriously....You are too funny. Thankfully I read that message after the Skunk off.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Nature's Miracle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif I always have it on hand since our dogs can encounter a skunk at any time. I've also been spraying it in the cat's crate to keep down odors while she's recovering from her dislocated hip. Works great for both!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm glad that worked for you Deb. When I had Shephards they were always running into skunks. It works wonders at 3a.m.

It might not totally get rid of it, but it takes the bite out of the smell... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jennifer's recipes sound familiar to what eric's parents have used and they said it works well....DO NOT use tomatoe juice it doesn't really work that well youll end up with a stinky skunk/tomatoe juice beagle

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having to use it one more time. I thought the first treatment got rid of it totally, but I think it just alleviated it enough that I thought it was gone. But....apparently not! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

Anybody here want to come to Colorado and help wrestle a 75 pound dog with me? Poor baby...now he's just staring at me with the sad puppy dog eyes. I keep telling him that he was a good boy for protecting Peanut...but I don't think he is believing me right now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Deb, I'm sorry to hear that Kaden got skunked. But... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/coffee.gif I am happy to hear that the skunk off seems to be working. I'll try not to laugh too much to avoid creating bad karma for myself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyDeb, I'm sorry to hear that Kaden got skunked. But... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/coffee.gif I am happy to hear that the skunk off seems to be working. I'll try not to laugh too much to avoid creating bad karma for myself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif
You know what is amazing? I lived out in the country for years with dogs and never once had one skunked. I move into town...and what happens????? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

But he is smelling much better. I still get a whiff every once in awhile, but <span style="color: #FF0000">NOTHING</span> like it was. I had no idea I could hold my breath so long! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our English Setter, Sugar, got skunked BAD when I was a girl. I don't remember what Mother used to clean her, but I DO remember that poor Sugar had to sleep outside for like 3 days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts