Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I posted about a cut on Jersey's paw. I'm pretty sure it happened at day care. Last night, Mike found a scab on her back, just below her collar. It was older, so I'm thinking it happened last week when her paw got cut. So here's my dillema.

The girls at the day care never told me about any of these things happening. Either they aren't watching close enough to see when something is happening or they are negleting to tell me. I understand that she's going to get bumps and bruises being at day care with 20 or more dogs every day. And I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with them failing to tell me when things are happening or if they just aren't paying enough attention. I'm planning on talking to the owner tomorrow. I've always been happy with this facility and I don't want to move her. However, if they aren't being as responsible anymore, that bothers me.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
How long as she been at this facility? I would talk with the owner and see what they say. Maybe staff or policies have changed and it's causing issue in the amount of care/supervision the dogs receive, or the kind of dogs they let in with other dogs. Are you under contract with them or anything like that? Did you have to sign some sort of policy stating what kind of supervision/care would be provided?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jamie, she's been going here for over a year and a half. They have one or two new staff members but not a lot of changes. The only thing I can see that's happened lately is that the owners are spending less time at the facility. She was on vacation visiting her daughter (who just had a daughter) and then they launched a line of treats so the owner and her husband haven't been around as much. I'm not under contract or anything. The only thing I signed was a liability release stating that I wouldn't sue them if anything were to happen to Jersey. Like I said, I really like the place, but obviously something happened with Jersey, even if it was just rough playing.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I would definately have a talk with the owners, (specially since they were away), they will appreciate feedback, as to how things are run in their absence.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definitely speak to the owners and let them know. There may be a liability form, but staff neglect and lack of supervision is a BIG problem.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Ditto to what Louise said! The owner's NEED to know what's going on when they're not around, and for all you know Jersey is not the only dog being hurt.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just another one here saying definitely talk to the owners! They will certainly want to know. If they don't seemed concerned then I would think about moving Jersey.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree that you need to talk to the owners. They need to know what's going on and you need to be comfortable with who looks after Jersey. If they are not watching properly or not telling you what's going on then that needs to be addressed before it gets out of hand.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, once again, the owner wasn't in when I went to pick up Jersey. I'm taking her again tomorrow, so we'll see if she's in then. I may write a little note to her asking her to call me. I did talk to one of the girls this morning. I explained that I'm fine with it happening, and that I know it's going to happen at times. Jersey isn't a priss. She gives as well as she can take. I just want them to be a little more observant!

There are two day cares closer to work. I drive by them to get to work after dropping off Jersey at this place. I've been so happy with them for the last year and a half, but if this is what's going on I'll have to start looking into one of those places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts